The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2021, 09:04 PM

Default "Cars" in the "she shed"

Over the years my wife has collected a number of car emblems from flea markets and antique places but they had been just sitting in a box gathering dust and I was trying to figure out a way of displaying them for her. What I decided to do was this: I found an old piece of barn wood at an antique shop, cut it to size, painted it black, drilled holes to match up with the mounting pins on the back of the emblems, attached the emblems, and then hung it across an unused portion of my wife's she shed. She loved it.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:16 PM

Heck, I'd love that in my den...

Unusual hobby for your missus, though - you wouldn't happen to be married to Leah Pruett, would you...?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That's kinda nifty. My wife's favorite Friday evening is a trip to the hardware store.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

In the early 70s a friend of mine bought a brand new short red chevy van. He started finishing off the inside. He put nice fat tires on it with Crager Chrome wheels. This was before companies started doing it. I said why don't you put a SS front insignia on it from a Chevelle SS. That put him on a mission and it did set it off very well. He had people asking him where they could get a Chevy SS van.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 AM

A friend of mine I talked to at a BG fest in Charlotte, Mich. had a little Toyota camper truck. He rebadged it to read as a Chevrolet 'cause he lived around Flint, Mich. a big time GM area with a bunch of UAW folk. Asian vehicles weren't looked at friendly like!

We all had the opportunity to collect the literature at the dealers over the years (Pre-internet) from the Studebaker, Dodge, Desoto, Plymouth, Nash, Hudson, Packard, Mercury, Edsel, Pontiac, Oldsmobile etc. etc. but most of us didn't----maybe in my next life!

Fog
Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 AM

I miss the chrome emblems and the hood ornaments.
Often now I see a vehicle with no noticeable badging.
No idea what make it is.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
In the early 70s a friend of mine bought a brand new short red Chevy van. He started finishing off the inside. He put nice fat tires on it with Cragar chrome wheels. This was before companies started doing it. I said why don't you put a SS front insignia on it from a Chevelle SS. That put him on a mission and it did set it off very well. He had people asking him where they could get a Chevy SS van.
If you're inclined to do something really crazy the 1985-2005 Chevy Astro mini-van was built on a shortened full-size van chassis and, with factory parts and relatively little modification, will accommodate just about any GM Performance crate engine/transmission combination. I've seen one of these with a mild-tune (~375HP) LS1/4L60-E and a 1" suspension drop (think early-2K's Camaro SS but with room for your kid's Little League team) and I heard tell a few years ago of a stock-looking 572 big-block version somewhere in PA, that the owner uses to humiliate modern musclecar owners at stoplights - with that short wheelbase and 750-800HP on tap (probably run mid-10's @ 130 at the track), I can just see him pulling the front wheels two feet in the air next to some unsuspecting Hellcat owner...
Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're inclined to do something really crazy the 1985-2005 Chevy Astro mini-van was built on a shortened full-size van chassis and, with factory parts and relatively little modification, will accommodate just about any GM Performance crate engine/transmission combination. I've seen one of these with a mild-tune (~375HP) LS1/4L60-E and a 1" suspension drop (think early-2K's Camaro SS but with room for your kid's Little League team) and I heard tell a few years ago of a stock-looking 572 big-block version somewhere in PA, that the owner uses to humiliate modern musclecar owners at stoplights - with that short wheelbase and 750-800HP on tap (probably run mid-10's @ 130 at the track), I can just see him pulling the front wheels two feet in the air next to some unsuspecting Hellcat owner...

There was one at my local track with a supercharged 4.3 and it was doing mid 12’s on drag radials and full interior. Cool to see that thing all loose nearly to the 1/8 mile marker. Could easily do 11’s if it had slicks. Ugliest sounding engine though. [emoji23]
Old 02-25-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I was just about to mention the Astro and Safari vans. They were pretty snappy even with just the stock 4.3.

As for the emblems, when I closed the collision shop that I had worked at for nearly 30 years back in '07, I had to clear out an old storage shed behind the shop and I threw out a pretty large box of emblems that had been accumulated from the shop's opening in '69. Some of those older emblems were pretty intricate with the chrome and several colors within the emblem. One of my favorite was the Chevrolet "crossing flags" emblems that had a checkered flag and one that I can't quite remember. I have a couple of the version that were on my first car, 66 Chevy II hardtop with 283 V8 and twp speed powerglide automatic. Loved that car.......
Old 02-25-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
There was one at my local track with a supercharged 4.3 and it was doing mid 12’s on drag radials and full interior. Cool to see that thing all loose nearly to the 1/8 mile marker. Could easily do 11’s if it had slicks. Ugliest sounding engine though. [emoji23]
I wonder if the Grand National supercharged 4.3 would be a direct bolt in?
Old 02-25-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
I wonder if the Grand National supercharged 4.3 would be a direct bolt in?

The 3.8 turbo in the Grand National is a Buick-designed engine and the 4.3 is basically a Chevy small block. The 4.3 turbo from a GMC Typhoon or Syclone would be a better fit. Or like someone mentioned, a LS1 or older LT1 or L98.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Ack, I forgot the Grand National was only a 3.8. Yes, the "S" trucks with the 4.3 would likely be a bolt in. Those had all wheel drive too, talk about a hole shot!
Old 02-27-2021, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
Ack, I forgot the Grand National was only a 3.8. Yes, the "S" trucks with the 4.3 would likely be a bolt in. Those had all wheel drive too, talk about a hole shot!

Very radical and actually quicker than the newly introduced fourth gen F-bodies with the LT1 Engine and the non ZR1 C4 Vette. Instant cult classics. I saw a syclone at a used car dealership a few months ago, and almost stopped to check it out but I didn’t have that kind of play money at the moment. A few days later it was gone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic