The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2021, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Default QSC powered speakers

So I’m almost to the point of buying a pair of QSC CP12s to use with my Yamaha MG12XUK mixer. Since I’ve never used QSC’s is the extra $ worth it if I chose k10.2s instead? Our trio is mandolin, guitar/banjo, upright bass/banjo/tenor guitar and all 3 of us sing. The other thing I’m curious about is who you would recommend as a vendor. TIA
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-24-2021, 12:29 AM

My trio (piano/rhodes, uke/guitars/banjo/mando, three singers) uses a pair of K8s with an EV ZXA1 sub.

I have never been so happy with a pair of speakers.

They are insanely loud—so much so that we only recently started turning them up so I could have a little more headroom on the mixer. We play fairly large outdoor venues (large ski resorts, etc) with zero trouble or complaints about sound.

I bought all of the speakers used off Ebay (once nice thing about the K8s is that DJs buy them because they're loud [they claim 1000w, which is nuts] and then sell them because they're too loud).
Old 01-24-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
So I’m almost to the point of buying a pair of QSC CP12s to use with my Yamaha MG12XUK mixer. Since I’ve never used QSC’s is the extra $ worth it if I chose k10.2s instead? Our trio is mandolin, guitar/banjo, upright bass/banjo/tenor guitar and all 3 of us sing. The other thing I’m curious about is who you would recommend as a vendor. TIA
Two things come to mind here.
1) Why not stick with all Yamaha. The DBR and DXR lines have a better warranty and sound very good. The DBR 10s are selling at $325 and 12s at $375 at the moment. I own a pair of DBR10s and they're fantastic. I also own a gen 1 DXR10 and it's even better.

2) Go with something that comes with a bag to protect your investment
https://www.proaudiostar.com/qsc-cp1...UaAm9TEALw_wcB
Old 01-24-2021, 07:07 AM

I’m a QSC user. I’d encourage you to (if possible) spend a little more money and get the K series speakers. The CP line is OK, but the K series line is a significant upgrade. I’d also consider purchasing a sub or two. Although light and mobile, the KS112 is no slouch. I think you’d be very happy with K8s or K10s over a pair of 12” subs. Also, the original K series speakers are just as good - I think they run quieter - than the “new and improved” K.2 series, so you’d save a little coin if you could find a pair of used, original K series tops. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:34 AM

I think the older k series
Were a better sounding speaker.
I've also read that the cp series
Is closer in sound to the original
K series. I've owned a k12 a k10
And now a cp8. All have been
Very nice speakers. The band I'm in
Used 2 k 10.2's for awhile.i found them a bit harsh when pushed..
I now use a cp8 over a schertler sub
For solo work and couldnt be happier.
The subs crossover is 200 hz
So alot of acoustic guitar comes thru. I eq the sub first
Then bring in the cp8. Really stellar sound.
When I bought my k10 (old model) I a/B'd them at
The store up against the yammy dbr10.
I beleive at the time there was a $25 or $50 difference in price
.qsc being more.
I bought the qsc as I felt there was no contest in my mind on which sounded better.
Really a quick fast decision on my part. Ymmv

Last edited by varmonter; 01-27-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:53 AM

If budget is an issue, you should check out the JBL Eon 612's. I bought a pair last summer for outdoor gigs on a large patio. They sound very good with, plenty of volume and at 33lbs are easy to move. I ran them with a Bose T1 mixer in a duo format, keys/vocals, and myself on guitar/vocals. Very easy to set up and get a good sound right away.

They also have quite a wide dispersion pattern which made it easy to hear myself without having to bring additional monitors.

These days you can get a pair of them for about the price of one QSC 12.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi gwg

I'd do some research into the 10" QSC cabinets…because they tend to be strident compared to the 8" and 12" versions. I heard this, and wondered, but then we joined a church with a pair of them, and am now intimately acquainted with them, and would never own any (they are still hanging on the mounts in the sanctuary, but have not been hooked up for over 6 years). They project a very hot line from the center, and people complained immensely. This is running them through a Behringer X32 board, and beefy QSC power amps into a 150 seat auditorium. We now have a line array & subs.

As a person who has owned a lot of PA speakers over the past 55 years, I think the 12" two or three way cabinets are the most versatile for tonal balance, and throw (with adequate power).

They have the ability to add vocals and even bass guitar and keyboards (which produce extremely low frequencies).

If I was ONLY going to do vocals and acoustic guitar, I'd go with the 8" since acoustic guitars sound fabulous through them, and to expand frequency range, one can just add a sub later. But for all around sound, I STILL prefer 12" two way cabinets.

My personal PA rig (now 15 years old) has a pair of Community 12" two way cabinets, with a powered board which has 8XLR inputs, three way tone with sweepable mids, and bridged to mono it can churn out over 1100 Watts into 4ohms. We can easily cover a crowd of 200-300 without stressing things even with keys and bass.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 AM

Ok... I’ll be that guy. I don’t like the way the powered/NEO based speakers sound. I find them harsh and not pleasing to listen to... Plastic Cabs dont help, but are impossible to avoid these days.

I much prefer a Class D power amp of good quality and very good passive speakers. There is no more weight, less wires, easier and more versatile setup and overall, less cost; depending what you choose.

YMMV

Quote:
Old 01-24-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
I’m a QSC user. I’d encourage you to (if possible) spend a little more money and get the K series speakers. The CP line is OK, but the K series line is a significant upgrade. I’d also consider purchasing a sub or two. Although light and mobile, the KS112 is no slouch. I think you’d be very happy with K8s or K10s over a pair of 12” subs. Also, the original K series speakers are just as good - I think they run quieter - than the “new and improved” K.2 series, so you’d save a little coin if you could find a pair of used, original K series tops. Good luck!
I have to disagree here. I own two original K12 speakers and recently purchased a CP8 and CP12. I compared the K12 to the K12.2 and still find the originals to sound better. The new K.2 models sacrificed some low end for more clarity. I did a CP12 vs original K12 comparison and the CP12 sound just as good plus you get the benefit of eq settings. Honestly, my CP12 sounds awesome. I am glad I have the original K12s but I would have no problem gigging with the CP12s. Also, the CP12 weighs the same as a K10, which is very light. I have a K10 as well that I will be selling.

Someone pointed out sticking to Yamaha. I like their speakers but find they have a higher noise floor. QSC speakers are dead quiet.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:01 PM

I have a QSC K8.2 and a CP8. Love both! The feature that stands out about the K8.2 is that it has a Hi-Z input. It really comes in handy to play low output devices like electronic drums. Also K8.2 has more headroom before getting harsh. All QSC speakers get harsh at max volume. .2 series worth the extra money unless weight is an issue.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I have a QSC K8.2 and a CP8. Love both! The feature that stands out about the K8.2 is that it has a Hi-Z input. It really comes in handy to play low output devices like electronic drums. Also K8.2 has more headroom before getting harsh. All QSC speakers get harsh at max volume. .2 series worth the extra money unless weight is an issue.
It should be noted that max volume is ear piercingly loud. I know that harshness you refer to. It's in the mids. However, the only time I have ever experienced it is when I did an outdoor wedding as a favour and the people who hired me, didn't really indicate how insanely large the property was. I had to crank my K12's which provided the volume but if you were close by, they were harsh. I have never experienced that harshness since.

The good thing with QSC is that you can go CP, original K or K.2 and know you are getting a fantastic speaker.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:17 PM

I agree for acoustic guitar it would very rare to push any of the QSC line to the volume/dB where you would experience that harshness. My point is for a little more money you have the extra headroom for future gigs or circumstances.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Greatly appreciate everyone’s input ... since gigs are still a bit out there, I’ve got a lot to think about, which is good!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-25-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Greatly appreciate everyone’s input ... since gigs are still a bit out there, I’ve got a lot to think about, which is good!
Absolutely. You really can't go wrong. I got super lucky just before Christmas. For some reason, here in Canada, the CP12 went on sale from $699 to $529 which is less than the $549 price for the CP8. I wasn't really in the market for a new speaker but grabbed it. I just love how it weighs the same as my K10, is the same size as well but has a much better overall tone.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:13 AM

QSC K12 here, I used a pair on a PA job for an acoustic rig outdoors and fell in love with them of acoustic music*. I also have three Yamaha DXR10's which I bought for foldback. To me the K12s are superb clean and detailed, the DXRs are excellent too but slightly 'soft' sounding in comparison. But I doubt you'd be disappointed with either TBH.

* I use them with an old school EV 15" sub for bigger acoustic gigs and rock gigs.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification