The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 AM

Actually they build about 150,000 guitars a year these days, but that counts the Mexican built 100, 200, and Baby's, plus the various T5z models. Your number might be pretty close for the 300 series and up. In any event there is likely a plentiful but not unlimited supply of BE's.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 AM

I am starting to back off my desire to buy a 517 to pair with my 717. While I think it would be awesome to have a mahogany version to keep in standard tuning, I just really feel like maybe the D-18 covers that spectrum a little better. It's not that I think the D-18 sounds any better for standard tuning playing, but I like having the two different voicings to choose from.

My initial thought was to go ahead and get a 517 while they are making the BE in the neck and specs I'm loving, but I know myself, and I would probably get so drunk on the Grand Pacific cool aid and sell the D-18 to make room and I don't want to put myself in that position...yet.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Actually they build about 150,000 guitars a year these days, but that counts the Mexican built 100, 200, and Baby's, plus the various T5z models. Your number might be pretty close for the 300 series and up. In any event there is likely a plentiful but not unlimited supply of BE's.
I knew they built much more but the only data that I could quickly find was about the US factory, and it's also a bit dated (2014), and it says "over 40,000" in the US "and much more" in their Mexican factory.

Assuming the US factory is where they make their 300 series and up, then the number sounds about right, and 5% of their factory's annual production would have been for the BE Grand Pacifics (2,000 out of 40,000). That seems like a pretty respectable number for all the 300 series and up, ie, 1 in 20 of all their guitars in a year.
http://mmrmagazine.com/issue/veteran...e-guitar-shop/
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 AM

The 517 and 717 that I have played are distinctly different guitars that I would wager not many people would confuse for each other.

You can also tell them apart from across the room if you can see a tiny bit of the side.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 AM

These aren’t rare as hen’s teeth and I’d be shocked if you couldn’t track a used one down at some point in the future, so I don’t see this as a “now or never” situation. As to the warranty, in theory, I get it, but when was the last time you had a warranty claim on a guitar? For me, over several decades and a hundred plus instruments, the answer is not one. Well built guitars that are treated well don’t seem to encounter a lot of catastrophic failures and you can see most problems or impending problems on a used instrument upon inspection. Something could happen, sure, but if I look at all I saved buying used over the years, I suspect that even one unforeseen catastrophic failure would be far less expensive than my aggregate historical savings. Given the nature of the product, I think high quality well cared for used guitars without warranty are a rational bet.

Further, while it’s probable that there will be a finite number of these, it’s doubtful that this will result in blackguard Tele or Burst like scarcity that drives up the prices. To my knowledge there’s no holy grail collectible Taylor model - and there’s a reason for it, they build to immediate demand and continue to innovate or ornament in different ways to encourage churn in their market. It’s good for current business but doesn’t bode well for a robust long term used market. But many of these scarce vintage instruments were scarce because they weren’t successful enough in the market place or because the company innovated beyond it and, only in retrospect, did they become iconic. Maybe that happens here with the BE, but my guess is that Taylor devotees will buy these because they are the New Best Thing and, while some will stick, a number will be back in the market place when the next New Best Thing comes along.

As to needing adjustments to jump between standard and DADGAD, I’ve heard of it, but haven’t experienced it myself. I tend to favor a little more relief anyway, so perhaps I have a buffer, but it could be worth having a good luthier take a peek - perhaps there’s a set up tweak that could obviate the problem without introducing any new playability challenges.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
As to needing adjustments to jump between standard and DADGAD, I’ve heard of it, but haven’t experienced it myself. I tend to favor a little more relief anyway, so perhaps I have a buffer, but it could be worth having a good luthier take a peek - perhaps there’s a set up tweak that could obviate the problem without introducing any new playability challenges.
That's what I've down to get around my issue in the past, but I'd love to have the neck as flat as possible without buzz. Maybe just an OCD tick of mine.

I think part of my desire for the 517 stems from the fact that I LOVE this neck. I dunno, I just love everything about my 717, so I'm interested to see how much I play the D-18 in the future.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 AM

I love the 717e BE neck too! I played it for about 5 seconds at the shop I bought it from and instead of remaining canny and elusive to the salesman, I blurted out: “Ooh, I love this neck!” So sale, in the bag, he probably thought.

The neck would probably be available soon through the Custom Shop? No mention currently, but I can’t see why not. But it don’t matter, I already have it!

BluesKing777.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I don't know how long they'll build the Builders Editions but would predict that there'll be a 327 and 527 in the offing before a 817....
I certainly hope you are right! I'd love to see a 327

Back to the original question, I think these will continue to be available as long as they are selling.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM

I posted in another GP thread... The Taylor Rep at a road show last month told me "there are 2000 Builders Edition 17's. When they are gone. They are gone."
Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I posted in another GP thread... The Taylor Rep at a road show last month told me "there are 2000 Builders Edition 17's. When they are gone. They are gone."
I've got some thinking to do...
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM

When do they unleash the 917?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
When do they unleash the 917?
That would be a sight wouldn't it?

I wonder what Taylor does next with the Grand Pacific. Will they just put one in each series, or will they keep it separate with the Builder's Edition appointments? Fun times!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
That would be a sight wouldn't it?

I wonder what Taylor does next with the Grand Pacific. Will they just put one in each series, or will they keep it separate with the Builder's Edition appointments? Fun times!
Pretty sure they will put out models for each series. Like to see a 417
Old 06-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
Pretty sure they will put out models for each series. Like to see a 417
I'm curious to see if they will get pickguards. I personally love them without pickguards.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 PM

How about an XX7 GP 12 string[emoji2]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion