The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM

Default Zoom G5N multi-effects stomp question

I’m an acoustic guitarist who decided to dip a toe into the electric pool. I’m running my PRS guitar into a Zoom G5N multi-effects stompbox; from the G5N into a mixer that feeds my powered monitors. (In other words, no amp, just powered monitors)

When moving between patches on the G5N, there can be a large difference in volume. For instance, patches “131 Texas Toast” and “132 Blues” are at “normal” volume, but changing to “130 MuteBacking” is barely audible. I’m still very new to this, but it may be related to whether there is an amp/cab in the signal chain on the G5N.

Anyone who uses the Zoom G5N understand what’s happening here and whether there’s an easy fix?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I’m an acoustic guitarist who decided to dip a toe into the electric pool. I’m running my PRS guitar into a Zoom G5N multi-effects stompbox; from the G5N into a mixer that feeds my powered monitors. (In other words, no amp, just powered monitors)

When moving between patches on the G5N, there can be a large difference in volume. For instance, patches “131 Texas Toast” and “132 Blues” are at “normal” volume, but changing to “130 MuteBacking” is barely audible. I’m still very new to this, but it may be related to whether there is an amp/cab in the signal chain on the G5N.

Anyone who uses the Zoom G5N understand what’s happening here and whether there’s an easy fix?
Read the manual and learn how to set up your own patches; you can assign consistent volumes in the process. This might be nothing more than saving an existing patch and assigning a new volume level.

Also, see if there's a video on Youtube for this, there very well may be.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 PM

Ditto Paleolith54's advice.

I used to run a Digitech RP200 for a pedal and programmed in sequential pre-sets for instruments I normally used. I had the first patch labeled "MUTE" and pre-set the gain to zero so I could switch to MUTE and change instruments between songs.

I had pre-sets programmed for GUITAR, MANDO, TELE, FIDDLE, LAP STL, and MUTE and adjusted the gains of each instrument so the volume roughly matched from one instrument to the next.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 PM

Default Zoom

I've owned a few Zoom ME pedals over the years and find they do the worst job of setting a consistent volume between patches compared to other MFG's I've tried. If there is a "Speaker Killer" effect in it, use caution and tweak that one down as when I first tried it, I almost busted the windows in my room.

If you can hook yours up to a software provided with the pedal, use that to make things quicker.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:35 AM

I used the Zoom software on my PC to copy the patches I'm using (blues) to unused slots. That way I can modify them without mucking with the originals.

Even with the volume up at 100% this patch is 8DB quieter than the next one. (as measured on my DB meter)

For the moment, I'll just have to avoid all the "quiet" patches until I get this new pedal figured out.

Thanks for all your answers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars