The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
I must say I am much surprised of the majority of "nylon strings" players against "steel strings".
I would have thought the opposite (don't know why..).
<<snippet>>
I'm guessing it's because many of the people who peruse the "General Acoustic Guitar Discussion" sub forum don't read this Classical sub forum. I explicitly posted this thread here rather than over in "General" simply because I wanted to gauge how much of the people here in "classical" are nylon string players by trade. I wish my poll would have worked.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM

You have all the rights to think I am as dumb as a dead horse (dead horses are notoriously dumb... try reason with one if you don't believe it).

It did not occurred to me that this was the "classical" sub-forum... had I noticed it I would have (hopefully) smarten up a little.

In all accounts, thank you for your polite answer
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejazzx View Post
A professional meddler!
Have played classical for 20 years and just starting to get into steel string a bit.
I like to think of the guitar or the guitarist as not limited to a genre, instrument or whatever. I think a pioneer of this appraoach was Lenny Breau - none has really followed in his footsteps.
Nowadays when I gig I play all kinds of stuff on classical including jazz stadnards like take5 and mix that in with Tarrega, Gerswhin etc try to keep interesting and fun for the listener.

I have found a happy medium in using nails on both steel string and nylon by the way - I was told it couldn't be done - it just take plenty of caring for them.

Steve
Nice take on Take 5!!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 AM

I started off strumming on dreadnoughts learned through Church youth groups etc. Then, took up lessons to play classical guitar for several years. Moved from Malaysia to Australia in 2003. Discovered Tommy Emmanuel in 2008, been converted to play steel string guitar since then.

My most prized guitar in my collection is still a classical guitar which is a Brazilian Rosewood Carreras. I still keep a couple of classical pieces in memory and play them on my Carreras ocassionally.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
You have all the rights to think I am as dumb as a dead horse (dead horses are notoriously dumb... try reason with one if you don't believe it).

It did not occurred to me that this was the "classical" sub-forum... had I noticed it I would have (hopefully) smarten up a little.

In all accounts, thank you for your polite answer
LOL - it was actually a good observation only with the wrong conclusion
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM

I am primarily a classical guitarist but also do folk / chord playing on my nylon string. I owned a steel string guitar but never did it technical justice.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM

I love the nylon sound but didn't buy a classical until last January, a La Patrie Concert. It is a whole lotta fun fun to play but I will never be a classical player. One reason is I can't stand my fingernails to be very long. I meddle around on Fur Elise and Bourree but hybrid pick a lot using a pick and two fingers. I really like single string melody lines played with a pick on nylon strings.

I'd say over the last 46 years I've been 80% electric. I got a Taylor 412 in 1996 and it's great fun too, along with my Carvin electric guitar and bass.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I love the nylon sound but didn't buy a classical until last January, a La Patrie Concert. It is a whole lotta fun fun to play but I will never be a classical player. One reason is I can't stand my fingernails to be very long. I meddle around on Fur Elise and Bourree but hybrid pick a lot using a pick and two fingers. I really like single string melody lines played with a pick on nylon strings.

I'd say over the last 46 years I've been 80% electric. I got a Taylor 412 in 1996 and it's great fun too, along with my Carvin electric guitar and bass.
I really enjoy the LaPatrie guitars. Great affordable guitars.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey. Just wondering ... who here is primarily a nylon string guitarist (whether classical or hybrid), who just meddles with one and is more of a steel string guitarist, and who doesn't play nylon string at all?
Funny thing.. The first guitar I played was my mom's Japanese nylon/classical as a kid. Then I thought I would follow in Jimmy Page's footsteps and had electric guitars for the next 15 year.. I never felt comfortable with electric guitars. I was exclusively steel string for the next 15 or so years, but now I'm pretty much a nylon string player who dabbles with steel string. Let's talk in another 15 to see where I land!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM

I grew up studying classical guitar and never really owned an acoustic steel string, although I really enjoy the sound. I also played lots of electric too. Recently, I've been playing mostly classical guitar although I still play electric for some shows, recordings. As tough as it is to switch from electric to classical (different neck, technique, right hand pick/fingers, posture, etc.), I think classical playing helps keep my chops and I use some classical pieces with my students regardless of what style they're interested in.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Default I Am With You!

Quote:
I really enjoy the LaPatrie guitars. Great affordable guitars.

I am with you. The LaPatrie are great!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
That's some amazing playing (I listened to the entire video), and she is so beautiful too. That makes me want to pick up the classical too. Good luck!

What kind of Classical is that?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM

I was a self taught steel string player up until about a year ago. I decided to take lessons and the teacher I found was a classically trained guitarist. So I figured what the heck, I have always liked classical, so lets give it a try. It has changed the entire way I think about guitar and music. Classical is almost all I play now (and listen to). I have began to slowly sell off all of my electric and steel string stuff and saving for a nicer classical in the future. The biggest thing has been learning to read music, I enjoy it more that I ever thought I would.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I've been "meddling" with all types of guitars (and mando, and banjo, and ukelele, and bass, etc) for the past 29 years. I majored in classical guitar performance back in the 80s. I've practiced, played, recorded, gigged, and taught pretty much all styles over the years, from rock, to metal, to country, to blues, to bluegrass, to jazz, to classical, to flamenco. I drift from one genre to the next to keep things fresh and I never burn-out on guitar that way. It's ALL good and I'd recommend that anyone who finds himself starting to feel uninspired or burned-out on guitar, take a break from the particular genre that you've been playing and try something new. Some people were born to immerse themselves in one style and focus only on that one style. I think that's great. But it's not for me and I'd get bored and uninspired if I didn't have varied choices of music and instruments when I walk into the man-cave for daily practice/play.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Are you primarily a classical player or just meddle with one?

Peoriapicker.... I feel the same way. I like all types of guitar playing, but after I started classical guitar lessons I was hooked! I love the nylon strings and I am enjoying the journey with our instructor. It's been challenging and beautiful....

Best of luck.... Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical