The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
Now those are very nice looking, something I could see having. Most I've seen don't look anywhere near that nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Even the more traditional ones look nice. I would like to see examples of what you think are mutilations.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
This soundport is stunning, so well executed, like it’s meant to be there.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Many people are serious about these things. Having played a few guitars that have them I retain my skepticism. Many people are serious about tattoos for about the same reason: It's the thing all the cool kids are doing. I suspect in future years plastic surgeons specializing in tattoo removal will have storefront clinics next to guitar repairmen specializing in tone port closure. Both for $49.95!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Hook line and sinker........
Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I ordered a custom guitar last year and opted to have the optional soundport. This particular luthier does an unbound narrow oval which I liked both functionally and aesthetically. I play with a light attack and it does bring a noticeable difference. As a singer, I thought the extra sound would be too much but I found with this guitar to not be an issue. Another one of those options that depends on personal preferences.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 AM

A builder friend built one with a small sliding "door" that you could open and close over the sound port. So several of use experimented with playing and standing out front. We tried it with the door open all the way, partly, and closed. We found that when open the volume out front would decrease by a couple of percent, but be much more for the player. So they do have an effect.

OMMV
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Even the more traditional ones look nice. I would like to see examples of what you think are mutilations.

I wasn't the one that called them mutilations, but only that i found them somewhat unattractive (as if a preamp had been removed leaving an open hole). I personally don't like the looks of the wide open sound holes, but those that were pictured above where they're less "wide open" I do find appealing. I would definitely consider a guitar with one like those.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
It pains me to see a beautiful guitar mutilated. Is there a reason for it?
I'm going to guess you don't like cutaways...

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Wow, not one cup holder joke yet? You guys are slacking today!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Many people are serious about these things. Having played a few guitars that have them I retain my skepticism. Many people are serious about tattoos for about the same reason: It's the thing all the cool kids are doing. I suspect in future years plastic surgeons specializing in tattoo removal will have storefront clinics next to guitar repairmen specializing in tone port closure. Both for $49.95!
You've played some guitars with sound ports and you thought they made no difference?

There are a lot of modifications to a guitar which are hard to hear at best such as changing bridge pins. Sound ports are a night and day difference in how the player hears the guitar.

I honestly didn't think there would be anyone who said they didn't make a difference.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-24-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You've played some guitars with sound ports and you thought they made no difference?

There are a lot of modifications to a guitar which are hard to hear at best such as changing bridge pins. Sound ports are a night and day difference in how the player hears the guitar.

I honestly didn't think there would be anyone who said they didn't make a difference.
I'll second that opinion. I have two guitars with sound ports and they allow me to hear what I'm playing much easier, especially with fingerstyle.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post

A lot depends on how you play. I find that they don't make much difference for the way I play at least 95% of the time, which is with a pick. Other folks who play with a pick have already chimed in saying that soundports do make a difference for them, but clearly they and I are not using the exact same right hand attack.

When I play with bare fingers or with a light right hand attack, there's an audible difference and clear advantage to having a soundport on the guitar. But that's not how I play most of the time. I should point out that I've owned two guitars with soundports, one of them for about five years, the other for about ten. So I do have personal experience with playing guitars that have soundports, and am not basing my opinion on playing a soundported guitar in a music store for a few minutes.

I no longer have either guitar, as it happens, but the one I sold last fall is absolutely loved by the guy who bought it. It works well for him.

Short version: soundports work well for some players, but are not especially useful for others. If you're an enthusiastic convert to soundports that might be hard for you to believe, but it's true.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 PM

I don't know, careless handling maybe?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 PM

they were swinging their guitar around and it hit the microphone stand making a hole in it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-24-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
there are so many people with tattoos that no one will care in the future. it may be the opposite. oh, look, they don't have a tat!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion