The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2021, 05:37 PM
Guest 928

Thank you TR. I've asked James to take a look at this thread and when he lets me know I'll tell everyone. I've been pretty vocal in my CF nylon guitar search and have found the CF makers to be responsive and interesting.

Alistair has been my primary custom maker, but Ashvin at Rainsong and Joe at Blackbird have been big helps in my explorations.

I've received some belated interest in buying my Emerald X10 but I think I'll be keeping it and heading for a new Journey with James and Rob. We'll see...........
Old 06-27-2021, 06:37 PM

EvanB,

You might become the only other person I know with OC660. I cannot wait until I read a review from none other than my favorite AGF uncle EvanB!

We all have our preferences and that makes our world that much more interesting. I have had guitars with a battery compattment in the rear and thought the corduroy battery pouch to be cheezy initially. Well, the pouch is sturdy and heavy duty. It is just as easy to replace the battry and honestly how often would you replace the battery?

What I found out to be more important might be placing the main unit in such a way that if your battery dies on you, you could unplug and replug the wires to the passive original configuration. ( A spare battery, of course, negates the need to switch back. ) AND make sure to test the unit before installing. I had a faulty unit and in the process of debugging, I had to unplug and replug a few times and it was not fun already installed.

Anyhow, if not too costly, why not a rear-mounted battery compartment! I do not know if the guitat comes straight from China, but if from their warehouse, I wonder if they will smoothe out some of the fret ends that are sharp-edged.

In regards to Blackbird in SF, I have been there three years ago and played the Savoy which sounded nice. I would love to check out Rider nylon as you have high opinions of its volume. Currently it is not being offered and I am hoping to see one used locally. I sm not in a hurry.

Well, now you got our antennas up, please keep us updated on your relentless journey, this time with Journey Instruments. Good luck!

Gitaman
Old 06-27-2021, 09:30 PM

Talking

EvanB, I just remembered your unlikelyhood of traveling much. Now, a traveling convenience is one of the major strengths of Journey Instruments with a few sacrafices including volume: Afterall, unibody, such as Blackbird's with no joints and less mass, I would imagine to be more efficient in transfering energy.

OC660 meets my needs at this stage of my life: I spent a year out of last two away from home and more traveling coming. I know you surpass me in every aspect of music but as the only person on AGF with OC660 apparantly, with all due respect, I must tell you it is on a quiet side and I happened to like it, but the tone may not be for everyone.

There, hoooa, I feel much better.

Now, I sure hope you can make some magic with Rob and James!! (I vote for super light unibody.) Good luck!

Gitaman
Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

I find it hard to believe that you are the only one on this forum with a Journey classical guitar. Is Journey still working on selling the first 20 classical guitars to come out of their shop? If the classical has faced a super slow start it may have to try-a-little harder or have a very brief future.

I would prefer a unibody with no folding pieces/parts, but that is apparently not coming in the near future. James and Rob were interested in making a prototype of such an instrument I would be interested in its purchase.

so you see how I am. I start with one little custom touch, a paint job, and then I move to the electronics, and now I'm pushing structural change.

The sun, the moon, and all the stars while we're at it.

Last edited by Guest 928; 06-28-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:13 AM

Hahaha,
Hats off to you!
Without someone like you, we might still be twanging a bow.

Along that line, all projects start with data gathering: Let's find out how many considered OC660, bought it or did not and the deciding factors. Additionally for those who had it a while could tell us what they they like/dislike.

I suppose we could ask James or Rob what their data says. I am also curious abou how they are re-asssessing. If Blackbird could make Rider nylon, Journey could do better.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

I think it would very difficult to do better than the Blackbird Rider nylon string guitar. It was sold in two manifestations, classical and flamenco and, in my estimation, matched the projection and tonal qualities of a good wooden instrument.

I'm not sure what accounts for the success of the Rider. It harkens back to the Lute and its shape may be part of the magic. Socrates said that there is no magic, just ignorance--I resemble that remark. It might also be that Joe found some form of bracing, some thinness of top, some placement of the saddle that led to the the qualities of the Rider.

In any event, I believe that James and Rob have embarked with a new canoe and I am hopefully that they pursue its refinement and qualities.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

Don't be hasty is assuming that I am ahead in my musicology. I have invested a lot of time in understanding guitars but I am not a great player. You can hear me if you Google blythinart.com

Let me know if you have trouble getting to the site or sound (for some reason when I go to my webpage I get the message that this plug in is not supported--I don't know what that means).

Last edited by Guest 928; 06-28-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Let me know if you have trouble getting to the site or sound (for some reason when I go to my webpage I get the message that this plug in is not supported--I don't know what that means).
Your website uses Adobe Flash which has reached end of life as of April 9 2019. From the beginning of 2021 operating systems have started to actively remove it from all internet browsers.
So I'm afraid you'll have to look for another music player.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 06-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Guest 928

Thank you mountainmaster. Does this mean that I need to modify my website or my computer, or both?
Old 06-28-2021, 12:45 PM

You have to modify your website. If you want a fancy music player then HTML5 is the way to go these days. If you search for "free html5 music player with playlist" I'm sure something useful will come up.

Or for a basic temporary solution you could just link to the music files directly.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 06-28-2021, 03:30 PM
Guest 928

MM

As you may well guess, I am not particularly well versed in in how electronic communications work, but my computer friend confirms your assessment. My website friend will be making the needed changes. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

EB
Old 07-01-2021, 09:42 AM

EvanB,
I tried to google blythiart.com and could not find your website. No rush but please let us know when it is up and running. Thanks,
Gitaman
Old 07-03-2021, 11:37 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

I will keep in touch--it's taking a bit of time to get the web site where and how it should be.

Have you noticed the groundswell of support in answering your questions regarding OC660M ownership? Me either. Other than 20 preliminary productions models I've not heard anything regarding production #s.

My interest in the OC has faded. I wanted the sun, moon, and stars (white face, different electronics, and a fixed neck. It doesn't look like any of the desired features will be available.

Meanwhile, Emerald has priced out what I'd like in an X7 and the Savoy is beginning to look very appealing.

Decisions decisions.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:37 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

I think the website is back up, with music. Google blythinart.com

I've sort of dialed in on the Savoy. I'm skeptical regarding a steel string guitar with nylon strings but Strumalot says it works with the Savoy. Given the lightness of the Savoy and given Blackbird's previous record of stunning instruments I'm almost persuaded.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Gitaman;
I think the website is back up, with music. Google blythinart.com
You do some awesome art Evan, I enjoyed the website. Thanks.
Now I know where your nephew gets his photography eye.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber