The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Default The latest from KOZM Guitars

Here’s a look at what’s currently coming down the pipeline at KOZM Guitars - as I continue to push the envelope in the realm of digital lutherie.

(For those unfamiliar with the term “digital lutherie”, it’s the process I use to design and fabricate guitars. It takes advantage of modern computer-aided- design tools, and modern 3D, computer-controlled routers (aka CNCs) to create organic, ergonomic, non-flat guitars. More info can be found at my website.)

The first guitar is the next model in the Heresy 1 series.
The “H1-4” has several new features:
First and foremost, it has a spruce top. All previous H1s used maple.
Second, in addition to the circular sound hole, it has two “crescent shaped” sound holes. These are intended to increase the H1’s perceived brightness, by allowing the unhindered expression of the higher-frequency acoustic energy that often gets trapped inside the back-end of the box.

The third major design change is the addition of “electronics”.
A set of K&K Pure Minis has been installed as shown below.
I’m really looking forward to seeing what kind of signal they produce, and how closely it resembles the coveted sound of an actual, externally-microphoned, big body, conventional acoustic guitar.

The body needs a little more sanding before the finish is applied.

===================----===============----======

The second guitar in the pipeline goes by the name “VooDoo Child”.

I'll have info about this one in the next post.

Thanks for taking a look,

Jeff
KOZM Guitars
Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 PM

As I mentioned above, here's a look at the second guitar in the KOZM pipeline, the "VooDoo Child".

This is essentially the child, or follow-up to my earlier “H1- Hard Tail Concept” guitar. (H1-HTC).
The H1-HTC had a reclaimed Doug Fir top. This gave it rather pleasing mellow, quiet sound – but with nice highs.

In an attempt to get more overall volume, the VooDoo Child will use hard maple in the middle of the body, followed by two stripes of torrified maple, followed by laminated swamp ash. As you may know, swamp ash is a favorite wood of electric guitar builders. I’m not aware of any other acoustic guitars that have tried ash, but I’m hoping that my 3D body design - in conjunction with these new wood choices – brings out some compelling voodoo.

The other major departure exhibited in the VooDoo Child” is the location of the bottom waist.
In attempt to make the body even more ergonomic, the bottom waist has been moved to the left, as shown. This will force the guitar towards the player’s left, which will allow the right elbow to come down to a more natural position.

As was the case with the H1-Hard Tail Concept guitar, the VooDoo Child will also use a modified hardtail bridge - very similar to the bridge used on electric guitars like the Stratocaster.

Modified hardtail shown on top of East Indian Rosewood base - awaiting individual saddles and strings.

With any luck, I hope to have both of these guitars clear-coated, assembled and playing within a couple of weeks.

Stay tuned,

Jeff Kosmoski

KOZM Guitars
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Extremely interesting and intriguing designs - can these guitars be also played unplugged?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Default How do they sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcozma View Post
... can these guitars be also played unplugged?
Yes indeedy! Given their smaller box size, they tend to be a tad quieter than a bigger box dreadnought or OM. But they all have a somewhat unique, compelling sound; a sound that conjures up the acoustic imagery associated with conventionally crafted guitars - but with a distinct difference - due to their unique geometries and wood selection.

FYI, here's a link to a YouTube video.

Youtube Video

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Photos of the latest KOZM Heresy 1

Here's a few photos of the finished Heresy 1 - 4

Sitka spruce front, followed by hard maple, with a mahogany back.

24 3/4" scale length. Bone saddle.

The dark middle "ring" is torrified oak.

This is my new pinless bridge design.

A closer look. I should say that the holes will actually accept bridge pins, if the player prefers. (As shown on the third photo, above.)

As I mentioned earlier, this guitar has a set of K&K Pure Minis. I haven't had a chance to play it through an acoustic amp yet.
I hope to have a video out soon, as well as photos of the VooDoo Child.

Stay tuned,

Jeff

KOZM Guitars
Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 AM

I've said it before but I think you are doing something really special and I love to see the evolution in your designs. Very interested in hearing these!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 AM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

That's a nice modern looking instrument, seeing your stuff gives me some great ideas, wouldn't mind 6 months in your workshop Jeff.

Jim
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

The Heresy-1 is a very avant-garde design. Quite tasteful in its aesthetics IMHO.

The H-1 is a relatively shallow guitar with a lot of soundhole area. What is done to preserve the bass response of the guitar?

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 AM

I consider myself an uncompromising traditionalist wen it comes to acoustic guitars, including a decided preference for the craftmanship of the early 20th century. But I find these guitars to be quite compelling ... the recordings give ample testimony to their sound quality. Kudos!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
...seeing your stuff gives me some great ideas, wouldn't mind 6 months in your workshop Jeff.

Jim
Thanks for the nice comments!
Please feel free to shoot me jpegs of any ideas you might be working on. Maybe I can make you a quick prototype and send it back to you. I always enjoy the challenge of trying stuff that shouldn't be done, and pushing the envelope.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffkos View Post
Here's a few photos of the finished Heresy 1 - 4
Can't wait to see a video of it.

Looks way cooler than what we were discussing a few months ago.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
The Heresy-1 is a very avant-garde design. Quite tasteful in its aesthetics IMHO.

The H-1 is a relatively shallow guitar with a lot of soundhole area. What is done to preserve the bass response of the guitar?
OddMan,

Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it.
Truth be told, this guitar was actually an experiment, in response to an earlier H1 that I made. The H1-2 (see photo) has a ridiculously small sound hole. Combined with the hard-maple front, it's very bassy, and not at all bright.

One of the objectives of the H1-4 was to see if I could "release" some of the high freq energy that seemed to get buried in the box of the H1-4 - via the crescent holes. (I also wanted to experiment with spruce, and the pinless bridge).

As you allude, the H1-4 is less bassy - but also much brighter.
As I'm more inclined to keep the overall body size and air-volume on the small end of the spectrum (at least for the H1 series), I really don't want to make it much bigger. However, on the next go around, I'll probably remove the bottom crescent hole entirely, and re-configure the top one in some way.

I might also try Port Orford cedar for the front.
Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 01-25-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
I consider myself an uncompromising traditionalist when it comes to acoustic guitars, including a decided preference for the craftmanship of the early 20th century. But I find these guitars to be quite compelling ... the recordings give ample testimony to their sound quality. Kudos!
Maurerfan,

Thanks for the kind comments.
It means a lot coming from an "uncompromising traditionalist".
(Maybe there's reason for hope after all.)

Cheers,

Jeff

KOZM Guitars
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM

Default VooDoo Child 1

The latest photos of the VooDoo Child 1 (VDC 1)...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the lower waist is moved back towards the bridge. This drives the entire guitar towards the player's left, which helps to lower the right elbow.

Body front: Figured maple in the middle, followed by 2 strips of torrified maple, followed by swamp ash in the outer areas.

Mahogany back. Screw-on neck.
The small hole is used to feed the strings into the hard tail bridge.

The dark stripe in the middle is torrified oak.

The modified hard tail bridge sits in a East Indian Rosewood base.

The 3 main reasons why I like the idea of using a “hard tail” bridge in an acoustic guitar:

1) The height of any one string can be easily adjusted, independently of the others.
2) Intonation can be easily adjusted. This can become an issue if you want to change the gauge of the strings.
3) It’s bad enough that as humans, we have to cut down trees to make guitars. However, in this day and age, it seems unconscionable that we still use parts of dead ANIMALS for saddles.
3.1) Fabricating bone saddles makes my shop smell like a dentist office.

This guitar has a real nice sound. It's quieter than a typical dreadnought or OM (The VDC only has about 57% of the body volume). But even with the hard tail bridge, it still has a fairly warm sound.

I hope to have a video out soon.
Please stand by.

Comments and questions welcome!

Jeff

KOZM Guitars
Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 AM

These are exciting new designs. Good for you for having the courage to impliment non traditional guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
cad, cnc, digital, kozm