The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-02-2022, 07:56 AM

Default Billy Strings goes solo during set break

Makes it look so easy. I actually prefer this to his full band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPQ2o_AVuM
Old 08-02-2022, 11:30 AM
Musical minimalist

Yes the real deal.....I'd like to hear him and his band in a small venue purely acoustic. Probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Yes the real deal.....I'd like to hear him and his band in a small venue purely acoustic. Probably not going to happen anytime soon.
Back in the beginning, he and Don Julian played many small restaurant/bars all over northern MI. I was fortunate to see them several times in the intimate settings and plugged in at festivals.

Now its Billy and his full band. When he does play solo between sets, its always plugged in… and a treat…. the venues are too large to play strictly acoustic.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 08-03-2022, 05:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

I don't know what source is being heard coming from the PA, but it really sounds very good, albeit a bit on the bright side.

Nice to see him putting the capo right on top of the fret wire.

He's the real deal.

HE
Old 08-05-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I assume you’ve probably seen the stuff on YouTube? There’s one of a Doc Watson tribute set he did with the band, another with just him and Bryan Sutton, and of course the one he did with his step dad. I think a couple others, too

But yeah, I’d love to see something like that live, too.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
I assume you’ve probably seen the stuff on YouTube? There’s one of a Doc Watson tribute set he did with the band, another with just him and Bryan Sutton, and of course the one he did with his step dad. I think a couple others, too

But yeah, I’d love to see something like that live, too.
The Bryan Sutton one appears to be unplugged, but the levels are pretty low - the others (Doc and Stepdad) he's plugged in.

Love his playing and music, just have a hard time with the tone...especially when he starts using his pedal board.

I do remember enjoying this a lot - I think it may be the first thing I saw of his....

Old 08-12-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The Bryan Sutton one appears to be unplugged, but the levels are pretty low - the others (Doc and Stepdad) he's plugged in.

Love his playing and music, just have a hard time with the tone...especially when he starts using his pedal board.

I do remember enjoying this a lot - I think it may be the first thing I saw of his....

Yeah, fully unplugged is a pretty rare with him. I’m actually listening to a show from 8/10/22 right now… I guess the bass player had a family emergency so it seems like they’re just doing all trad stuff… first few songs are just him then the rest of the band comes out slowly. No pedalboard stuff yet. You probably need a Nugs subscription to get this one though. Matter of fact, the last few shows I’ve sampled have leaned more trad, since they brought the fiddle player one board.

I hear he’s putting out a record with his step dad, too.

Last edited by Kyle215; 08-12-2022 at 01:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN