The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 01:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Let's Go Shop Some Wood!

Here is a picture of the little deck off our kitchen.

I've been wondering what kind of tree that is. The leaves look like Cherry but it is a huge tree. Look at it rising up behind my house:

After studying Green Mountain trees I have found the it is indeed a wild Black Cherry. Where there is one there will be more.

Let's go shopping! Ideally, I'll find a nice big standing dead Black Cherry wide enough to cut back and side sets. Cherry is also an excellent substitute for Mahogany so if I'm lucky there will be plenty left over for necks, interior blocks, and kerfing.

I want standing deadwood because it has already begun the aging process. Besides why kill a tree if you can do better with an already dead one?

Well that was easy:

The big one in the middle is almost two feet wide at the base. It appears the top got snapped off in the strong winds we get up here. The top likely is what killed the smaller ones around it. The standing dead trunk looks to be about 25 feet high. Lots of neck etc. there!

Further down into the woods I have a dying behemoth:

This is an old growth Sugar Maple (Hard Maple). There are still a couple branches clinging to life but there is a lot of standing and fallen dead wood. I wish I could see this tree 25 years ago when it was still in full majesty. The hole in canopy remains as a testament to it's reign:

The trunk is about twelve and a half feet around. Looking at some of the dead wood on the trunk you can see how the crush of it's weight rippled the wood for some nice curly figure:

On the windward side there is this fallen branch:

See the fungus? That's is a good indicator of spalting and the fact that this is off the ground means I'll likely find some which isn't too rotted.

Further up the branch we have this interesting burl combined with some crunched up grain:

Spalting, burl, and crazy grain, make for wonderful decorative rosettes and headstock laminates.

Time to sharpen up the saws and cash these babies out!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-01-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:19 PM

Mark, that was an awesome trip around your woods! I can't wait to see what comes of all that! You picked the perfect spot to move!
Old 07-02-2022, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, that was an awesome trip around your woods! I can't wait to see what comes of all that! You picked the perfect spot to move!
Thank you Treenewt. Karen and I love it here. The trees on this property are the icing on the cake. I have my 100th guitar coming up and it sets my mind to thinking that it could be a guitar made from the property of our new home. White Spruce top, wild Black Cherry back/sides and neck, Hard Maple trim, and I’m sure I can find some interesting stone for the rosette and inlays, maybe some blue mold stained Pine, hmm.
However, I already have some woods stashed away that I had in mind? hmm

m

Steven Wright
Old 07-06-2022, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default More Stone

I've spent a lot of time sourcing more of the yellow Jasper like I have shown previously. I love how it's colors go with darker top woods like Cedar and Redwood. My favorite shop in Burlington really came through for me on a visit yesterday:

Here it is closer:

What I really like about these natural materials is the closer you look the more there is to see.

I also got a nice size slab:

and up a lot closer:

This Yellow Jasper is finding it's way into a number of scheduled guitars!

Steven Wright
Old 07-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Oh yeah !

„I've spent a lot of time sourcing more of the yellow Jasper like I have shown previously. I love how it's colors go with darker top woods like Cedar and Redwood. ....

...I can only fully agree... that is a natural beauty match as can be...

Looking forward to the guitars you will make with it Mark!
Old 07-07-2022, 03:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
„I've spent a lot of time sourcing more of the yellow Jasper like I have shown previously. I love how it's colors go with darker top woods like Cedar and Redwood. ....

...I can only fully agree... that is a natural beauty match as can be...

Looking forward to the guitars you will make with it Mark!
Thanks Lonzo, I have a lot of ideas for different designs and my recent commissions all are interested in my stonework so we’ll be seeing a lot in future builds. I’m excited about the possibilities.

Steven Wright
Old 07-08-2022, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Premier Series Visesnut Cases

With my new Green Mountain Series of guitars the Visesnut Active series of flight cases come standard. They are rugged lightweight black cases that do a great job protecting your guitar and your back when you are traveling with your instrument. The cases are also well cut without any extra bulk which helps reduce banging into everything and they are easier to load overhead when flying.

I am offering the Premier Series as an upgrade. These cases come in a variety of colors and have some better hardware features as well.

They have a variety of solid and metallic colors so it's easy to match a case up with the color or look of your guitar.

They come with 4 stainless steel key lock latches and buckle with a half twist:

A feature of the latches I particularly like is how they lay flat against your case when open. This greatly reduces the chances of scratching your guitar when loading and unloading:

When upgrading to a Premier Case I highly recommend getting the padded cover. It offers additional protection from temperature and scratches:

The case has access folds so you can still attach the included shoulder straps making transportation even more comfortable:

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-08-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Mark, the post with the trees was fascinating and so enjoyable! Love the shots of the stone, as well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:04 PM

I am very happy with my Visesnut case. Both highly protective & distinctive and can't be beat for light weight. I much prefer the Hiscox latches, however.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 07-10-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
That looks familiar

I have flown with the Visenut premier case several times and my buddy Trevor Gordon Hall has flown with his Schwartz in a Premier OM case over 800 flights without incident (from what he said back in 2018, I saw him with the same case this year at the Artisan show without any noticeable issues) so I was thrilled when you ordered this for my Greta. If you get the padded cover it looks like a gig bag and airline staff almost always let you board with it. Gate checking is stress-free, I've stood and jumped on mine to observe any flexing and there is none to speak of.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-10-2022, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mark, the post with the trees was fascinating and so enjoyable! Love the shots of the stone, as well.
Thanks Mike, I try to mix up my posts with different aspects of building and come up with things you don’t often see here. Reading trees is a skill that is developed. What’s good about reading dead trees is your mistakes don’t kill trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I am very happy with my Visenut case. Both highly protective & distinctive and can't be beat for light weight. I much prefer the Hiscox latches, however.
Thanks for comment! Do the Hiscox latches stay out of the way too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
That looks familiar

I have flown with the Visenut premier case several times and my buddy Trevor Gordon Hall has flown with his Schwartz in a Premier OM case over 800 flights without incident (from what he said back in 2018, I saw him with the same case this year at the Artisan show without any noticeable issues) so I was thrilled when you ordered this for my Greta. If you get the padded cover it looks like a gig bag and airline staff almost always let you board with it. Gate checking is stress-free, I've stood and jumped on mine to observe any flexing and there is none to speak of.
Thanks for your input on the cases Dustin!

m

Steven Wright
Old 07-10-2022, 08:36 PM

Yes, Hiscox latches stay out of the way and are super-easy to open and shut. I like my Visesnut case better, but the Hiscox latches far better. Both are quality products.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Smile Cases

Quote:
Yes, Hiscox latches stay out of the way and are super-easy to open and shut. I like my Visesnut case better, but the Hiscox latches far better. Both are quality products.
“ Spalting, burl, and crazy grain, make for wonderful decorative rosettes and headstock laminates.”

About that wood. Woohoo. I am very partial to the spalted maple (and walnut?) accents John K has used on my last few instruments. The fact that it came from his yard just makes it even more cool to me. Looking forward to seeing yours!!!

Congratulations on your new wood locker! Hahahah

About the cases, I have a couple Hiscox pro artist jumbos and I am quite impressed. A LOT of thermal protection and relatively light weight. I too like the latches a lot.

I have a high end Visesnut coming, and am interested in comps from those who have experienced both.

Mark, your new place is BEAUTIFUL

Enjoy it and make many many BOSS guitars there!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-11-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
“ Spalting, burl, and crazy grain, make for wonderful decorative rosettes and headstock laminates.”

About that wood. Woohoo. I am very partial to the spalted maple accents John K has used on my last few instruments. The fact that it came from his yard just makes it even more cool to me. Looking forward to seeing yours!!!

Congratulations on your new wood locker! Hahahah

About the cases, I have a couple Hiscox pro artist jumbos and I am quite impressed. A LOT of thermal protection and relatively light weight. I too like the latches a lot.

I have a high end Visesnut coming, and am interested in comps from those who have experienced both.

Mark, your new place is BEAUTIFUL

Enjoy it and make many many BOSS guitars there!!!

Paul
Thanks Paul,

I have no experience with the Hiscox cases. I am impressed with the easy in and of the Visesnut case. I like how the Premium latches can be laid completely flat against the case to prevent accidental scratches. I also like the rubber seal channels on the Visesnut case because the rubber is also less likely to scratch a guitar. Having personally experienced scratching guitars on cases I pay a lot of attention to possible hazards.

Steven Wright
Old 07-12-2022, 02:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Blue Stain

I made reference to finding some Blue Stain Pine in my woods. The Blue Stain is caused by a fungus in the sapwood. I took a couple chunks to check out and set them out to dry.

Now that they are dry here are a couple pictures:

Opened up:

This worked out well. I'll have to get back out there and see if I can find some larger pieces.

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-12-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop