The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-18-2022, 07:31 PM

Default Bromberg and Blake

Posting because, well, why not?

Old 04-21-2022, 08:42 PM

Not a comment.... Ok, then...
Old 04-22-2022, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I'll bite! Been a fan of Mr. Bromberg since I walked into a little record store and they were playing his first album. A great multi talented musician. There's an excellent documentary on Amazon Prime - David Bromberg: Unsung Treasure.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:02 AM

Sept 19th of 2020, Covid was raging, and I bought myself a ticket to Bromberg’s 75th streaming birthday show from the Arden Guild in Delaware, MD.

Small band, maybe five piece if I remember correctly, and a short show about an hour or so. His hands were beat up and swollen. But every once in a while you could hear a lick or two that made him that highly in demand standout session man so, so long ago.

He had aged a great deal since I last saw him play in Central Park, walking away from his career as an entertainer. I was heartbroken at the time, learning of his decision. Eventually he and his family settling in Maryland and beginning his second career selling and repairing violins and bows.

That business has now been sold, and I guess at 77 years old the Philadelphia Flyer is finally going to take a long and well deserved break in retirement.

Last edited by Chickee; 05-04-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:23 AM

Oddly, I've been compared to both of these guys.

In the looks department

Great players, great music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-04-2022, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Sept 19th of 2020, Covid was raging, and I bought myself a ticket to Bromberg’s 75th streaming birthday show from the Arden Guild in Delaware, MD.

Small band, maybe five piece if I remember correctly, and a short show about an hour or so. His hands were beat up and swollen. But every once in a while you could hear a lick or two that made him that highly in demand standout session man so, so long ago.

He had aged a great deal since I last saw him play in Central Park, walking away from his career as an entertainer. I was heartbroken at the time, learning of his decision. Eventually he and his family settling in Maryland and beginning his second career selling and repairing violins and bows.

That business has now been sold, and I guess at 77 years old the Philadelphia Flyer is finally going to take a long and well deserved break in retirement.
Nice post, Chickee. David is still touring at least through July when he will be in my area with a quintet. I've been on the fence a little about going. I don't expect him to bring what he brought in the mid 70's, but your post makes me think it will be worth going, and not one of those bittersweet shows by someone who has stayed too long at the party.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Nice post, Chickee. David is still touring at least through July when he will be in my area with a quintet. I've been on the fence a little about going. I don't expect him to bring what he brought in the mid 70's, but your post makes me think it will be worth going, and not one of those bittersweet shows by someone who has stayed too long at the party.

Thanks for your comments.
Hey Bob,
If David were playing locally I would go see him in a New York minute! He holds a very special place in my heart as an all around picker and utility man in the music world. I feel he deserves that respect and acknowledgement, especially now in the later years of his life. He brought so much happiness to me as a young guitarist. To show appreciation and support to him now is the least I could do to return the favor.
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 05-04-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Bob,
If David were playing locally I would go see him in a New York minute! He holds a very special place in my heart as an all around picker and utility man in the music world. I feel he deserves that respect and acknowledgement, especially now in the later years of his life. He brought so much happiness to me as a young guitarist. To show appreciation and support to him now is the least I could do to return the favor.
frank d.
Thanks Frank, I just bought 2 tix in the 4th row, center
Old 05-04-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks Frank, I just bought 2 tix in the 4th row, center
You are terrific Bob. I wish I could be there to cheer on and enjoy Mr. Bromberg right along side you! Show him how much he means to us.🥰
All the best to you, Bob. You made my week.
frank d.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are terrific Bob. I wish I could be there to cheer on and enjoy Mr. Bromberg right along side you! Show him how much he means to us.🥰
All the best to you, Bob. You made my week.
frank d.
Frank, thanks for your note. I’ve watched many of David’s recent videos and a documentary, but haven’t actually seen him perform live since 1977. So this should be a treat, I appreciate you encouraging me to attend!
Old 07-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Frank, thanks for your note. I’ve watched many of David’s recent videos and a documentary, but haven’t actually seen him perform live since 1977. So this should be a treat, I appreciate you encouraging me to attend!
Frank, the show was last night and it was great. Went with one of my best buddies, who doesn't play but really appreciates good guitar playing, he loved it.

Evening started when a fellow (obviously not David) came out with a Martin D-?, no pickup, no introduction, and launched right in to a bluegrass number. He played a lot of great original, blues, country, Americana type stuff and told great stories. Killer chops. I didn't know who he was until David came out and said "How about Robbie Fulks?" and then turning to the band "We can't let him open for us any more " It was the first time they had met, Robbie was not on the bill. What a treat.

David has an absolute killer 5 piece band. Guitar, mando, fiddle, bass, drums. They all flatpick and all sing very well and he used a triple mandolin lineup on one instrumental. They "broke it down" several times and played unamplified in a circle (small theater). One number was even acapella. A highlight was his solo fingerpicking version on his Martin of Dylan's "It takes a lot to Laugh, it takes a train to Cry."

David's voice started out giving him some trouble, he said he was looking for "what refer to as my voice" but a cough drop put things right and he finished very strong. It was 45 years between shows for me and he is still David Bromberg through and through.

Thanks again for giving me the nudge!
Old 07-29-2022, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful stuff... good to hear it again, after all these years!

There was certainly a time when, if Bromberg was on anyone's record, you knew it was going to be good!

Wonderful player on pretty much anything with strings (!) and a great sense of humor, to boot!

Thanks for posting this...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-29-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I saw Mr Bromberg and his "big Band" ?? at the Camridge folk festival in .. 197? I was fascinated as seemingly everyone in the band doubled on a completely different instrument.
Great musicality and great entertainment!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN