The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Default First Dobro - What Should I Buy?

I am looking for a dobro. It wont get played much. I need it for recording a couple simple parts and maybe to learn the basics. I dont want cheap and something that cant hold tune but I dont want to spend a considerable amount. Looks like there are $400-600 options but I dont know the quality. Used is preferable. Help me out.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:19 AM

I bought a Republic several years ago. Not sure what the prices are like these days, but might still be in your range. Good quality instrument.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM

I would get a Gold Tone Paul Beard signature, from Paul Beard. Wonderful, pro-level instruments.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:00 PM

I was just about to purchase a Gretch 9230 or the Regal RD52 but I am going to hold off. I am going to research this a bit more. Used I could get into both for around $300-350. That seems like a good deal. Hold off or purchase one?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
I am looking for a dobro. It wont get played much. I need it for recording a couple simple parts and maybe to learn the basics. I dont want cheap and something that cant hold tune but I dont want to spend a considerable amount. Looks like there are $400-600 options but I dont know the quality. Used is preferable. Help me out.
How about some pertinent information: Spanish or Lap (Hawaiian) style?

Holding ‘tune’ is way different than ‘playing in tune’.

Thanks,
Howard
Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
How about some pertinent information: Spanish or Lap (Hawaiian) style?

Holding ‘tune’ is way different than ‘playing in tune’.

Thanks,
Howard
I am doing country/bluegrass. So lap and squareneck. Is there more that I need to know? Honestly dont know a thing. I bought a banjo 2 weeks ago just to learn the chords and pick up maybe 5 min a month. Just to add some instrument knowledge. Maybe record parts for songs.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I bought a Republic several years ago. Not sure what the prices are like these days, but might still be in your range. Good quality instrument.
I've just looked at the Republic website - they don't make any Dobro clones - just copies of Nationals.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am looking for a dobro. It wont get played much. I need it for recording a couple simple parts and maybe to learn the basics. I dont want cheap and something that cant hold tune but I don't want to spend a considerable amount. Looks like there are $400-600 options but I don't know the quality. Used is preferable. Help me out.
Hi,
now we have established that you are looking for a spider style cone as in "Dobro", and not a biscuit style as in "National"

it is all about the cone.

I have once played one of those Regal copies, but you would probably have to change the cone - even more so with the Gretsch.

The Gold tone, however, are very good.

Also, I'd avoid a "dobro" made by someone for Gibson ("hound Dogs"?) as they are made wrong with poor intonation.

The Gold tone is your best bet.

Keenly awaiting your questions about picks, steels and strings!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi,
now we have established that you are looking for a spider style cone as in "Dobro", and not a biscuit style as in "National"

it is all about the cone.

I have once played one of those Regal copies, but you would probably have to change the cone - even more so with the Gretsch.

The Gold tone, however, are very good.

Also, I'd avoid a "dobro" made by someone for Gibson ("hound Dogs"?) as they are made wrong with poor intonation.

The Gold tone is your best bet.

Keenly awaiting your questions about picks, steels and strings!
Looks like a gold tone is my best bet. What do you think a good deal is on a used one? Looks like if they get in the $500 range its as cheap as they go. Im not cheap on guitars but I really am not going to play this much. But I did buy a nice $900 gold tone banjo to just play the same amount so who knows.

About picks and steels and strings? Come on... No clue at all. I have a set of steel dunlop banjo picks, can I use those? Doubt it. Point me in the right direction on these things. I dont have a sound Im chasing really. Maybe older dixie chicks dobro sound. Thats really all I know.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:12 PM

Want to play standard tuning ? Sliding alternate tuning ?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 PM

If you can get to a larger music store where they would have several Beard Gold Tones you can try all of them and sometimes (if the Force is with you) find one that is exceptionally good. That happened to me at Elderly Instruments a couple years ago. I now have a Beard R body. But there was one Gold Tone that was quite amazing for the price level.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Gretsch has some very good sounding ones.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-01-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 AM

For country and blugrass I think the spider cone variety to start with although I have heard biscuit cone used to good effect- you might want to go on youtube and research what others are using and take note of the brands for the music you want to play. If you are getting one that you hold and not a lap top there's 12 fret and 14 fret. Some inexpensive brands of round neck are Gretche, Dobro Hound Dog and Dean. If you buy through a large outfit with a return policy then it will go easier if the guitar is not for you.

With a round neck resonator they work by having a certain amount of pressure to drive the cone and a more expensive model would accomodate adjusting regards action height and string weight, so you might want to factor that in and raise your budget for a Goldtone.

Just my opinions,

Harriet
Old 08-27-2019, 06:51 AM

For a modern bluegrass resonator sound like the Dixie chicks you want a square neck resonator with a large large body (L or D body as opposed to R body) with a hand spun spider cone. The Large or Dreadnought bodies will give you a much more modern sound as opposed to the smaller R or regal pre-war bodies. Look up Richard Deneve resonators. He sells hand made Large bodies for about 1500. I don't know of any cheap mass produced Large body resonators. Save yourself the all the problems with cheap imports and just get a deneve, or Beard or other nice resonator.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatjoe View Post
Gretsch has some very good sounding ones.

I read that people had to upgrade cones and spiders on them. I might not need to and it might be the right choice for me but if its $200 more to get a quality Beard then I may as well do that.

There arent shops around here that sell dobros.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-01-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Corrected quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments