The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Talking Emerald Amicus & Elliott Capos

Hi All,

Thought I would share that I am really enjoying my Amicus and given that you need to capo at the second fret if you are playing with other guitar players am ordering the following capo from Elliot Capos:
https://elliottcapo.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=80

They make amazing capos to order based on your guitar model and neck size. I have one for my McPherson Touring and Melisa @ Elliott Capos is wonderful (and patient) to work with. They are expensive but fit like a glove and the craftsmanship is amazing. It looks and works like a fine bracelet!!!

I am ordering the twisted version of the Elite capo so it is easier for me to see which one is for which guitar but frank it is also so coooooool looking.

If you are looking for an amazing capo these guys are the best and located in Texas!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Guest 928

Fixed;

Nice report! I took a look at your recommended site and can see why you'd be pleased with the product.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Thanks Evan.. what is nice about the Elite is it's low profile.....especially if you have/like narrow necks like on . McPherson Touring. It does not get in the way and does a great job of applying equal pressure to all strings. Important for the Amicus with all those string :-)
Old 09-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Never thought about a capo for the Amicus. Interesting idea though....more gear..... hmmm....

Are you saying that you’d rather play the same “shapes” when playing in a given key with other guitar players? Transposing shapes/keys is not too difficult imo, and can provide contrasting voicings - kind of the idea of the Amicus to me. Or am I misunderstanding? Is playing in E the issue? Thx.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Never thought about a capo for the Amicus. Interesting idea though....more gear..... hmmm....

Are you saying that you’d rather play the same “shapes” when playing in a given key with other guitar players? Transposing shapes/keys is not too difficult imo, and can provide contrasting voicings - kind of the idea of the Amicus to me. Or am I misunderstanding? Is playing in E the issue? Thx.
Good point on the contrasting voices..... the transposing is not hard ... the remembering is ;-) between my ukes and the amicus..... remembering all the shapes can be a challenge :-). 1st world problems !

Especially if playing the same song on all
Old 09-19-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Ha I understand about “shape shifting” from instrument to instrument. And then, there are open/ altered tunings to deal with. Ach.

I like the Amicus for many reasons, among which is the opportunity to break my tried and true thinking/ hearing/fingering habits.

Someone else here recently mentioned they play their Amicus late at night, for similar reasons. I do too.

As a simple “trick your brain” thing, one can try just playing through the chord progression and simple melody of a few easy tunes, starting in each of the familiar CAGED positions. Don’t worry about what key you’re in at all, just play the tune out of those simple home bases. From there, it’s easy enough to “figger out” what key you’re actually in. And.....doing this may just give you insights into the whole music/ guitar thing! I mean, there’s SO much there. Even the “Masters” are also eternal beginners.

If I get a beginning player, I often suggest “This Land is Your Land” as an experimental tune/ progressiom. From there, we go to I vi IV V7 based tunes, and then I vi ii V7 variants. This covers a LOT of ground!

So what are you playing on that lil guit?
Old 09-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Holy cow $195 for a capo!? Yikes

Edit: and now you’ve got me reading up on capos - see how that happens?

Last edited by HotTinRoof; 09-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:40 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTinRoof View Post
Holy cow $195 for a capo!? Yikes

Edit: and now you’ve got me reading up on capos - see how that happens?
Hot Tin.... funny how that happens.... it is an indulgence for sure.... One of the pleasures of owning only a couple of guitars.. you can indulge a little on these nice to haves..... trust me do not try one... once you do it is really hard to go back
Old 09-21-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Ha I understand about “shape shifting” from instrument to instrument. And then, there are open/ altered tunings to deal with. Ach.

I like the Amicus for many reasons, among which is the opportunity to break my tried and true thinking/ hearing/fingering habits.

Someone else here recently mentioned they play their Amicus late at night, for similar reasons. I do too.

As a simple “trick your brain” thing, one can try just playing through the chord progression and simple melody of a few easy tunes, starting in each of the familiar CAGED positions. Don’t worry about what key you’re in at all, just play the tune out of those simple home bases. From there, it’s easy enough to “figger out” what key you’re actually in. And.....doing this may just give you insights into the whole music/ guitar thing! I mean, there’s SO much there. Even the “Masters” are also eternal beginners.

If I get a beginning player, I often suggest “This Land is Your Land” as an experimental tune/ progressiom. From there, we go to I vi IV V7 based tunes, and then I vi ii V7 variants. This covers a LOT of ground!

So what are you playing on that lil guit?
Mark... many thanks.. you have me thinking.... I have been working on the following:

Atlantic City-Springsteen...
Forever Young - Rod Steward

Will add This Land is Your Land to the mix!!!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hot Tin.... funny how that happens.... it is an indulgence for sure.... One of the pleasures of owning only a couple of guitars.. you can indulge a little on these nice to haves..... trust me do not try one... once you do it is really hard to go back
I’ll keep my ear out around here. Would be fun to try one out. Thank you for the warning!
Old 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi All,

Thought I would share that I am really enjoying my Amicus and given that you need to capo at the second fret if you are playing with other guitar players am ordering the following capo from Elliot Capos:
https://elliottcapo.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=80

They make amazing capos to order based on your guitar model and neck size. I have one for my McPherson Touring and Melisa @ Elliott Capos is wonderful (and patient) to work with. They are expensive but fit like a glove and the craftsmanship is amazing. It looks and works like a fine bracelet!!!

I am ordering the twisted version of the Elite capo so it is easier for me to see which one is for which guitar but frank it is also so coooooool looking.

If you are looking for an amazing capo these guys are the best and located in Texas!!!
To the OP (fixedgear60)....just wondering how the Elliott capo worked out for you with the Amicus. I just got an Amicus and looking for an appropriate capo. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:43 AM

Funny you should ask.... Given the larger width (2+ in) of the neck....if you want a capo that goes beyond the 2nd fret.. then it will require a custom capo.

Still noodling on the additional $75 up charge.

I am still enjoying my Elliott Capo for my McPherson Touring. Well worth the investment. Currently using a kyser 12 string capo for the Amicus and working fine but a bit bulky and cramps my playing.

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 02-05-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info. That was actually what I was thinking...about the larger neck width as you go further up the neck. Appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Just wanted to drop a quick update. Last month, I ordered a custom Eliott capo for my Amicus and it arrived today!! It's the hybrid model. Works beautifully. And I can capo comfortably to the 5th fret, which is what I asked for when I ordered. I tune my Amicus to "A" using light gauge elixirs, which I would recommend if you dont want to tune to D with the non-octave strings. I love it. This is my 4th Elliott capo, but first custom order. Elliott capos rock. Yes, it's not cheap...but they are superior in performance. Trust me, I tried others...1584991696438.jpg
Old 03-23-2020, 01:41 PM

Ok... we trust you... and thanks.. I had an Amicus around here somewhere...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber