The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I urge OP to concentrate on building neatly and accurately and don't overbuild. Just about none of us early builders is going to wind up with tonal characteristics 'predicted' by species characteristics circulated as some kind of gospel. Lots more influence on 'tone' is the product of the building of the instrument, not what it's made of. Lots of highly experienced luthiers have spent years following that trail of bread crumbs. OP can wind up with a sweet-sounding-and-playing guitar that offers great satisfaction. Focus on that level.
Did you read other post about my error?

What do you guys think is the better option? My back plate is too short. Probably a centimeter. This can be corrected by adding maple (or other binding) in a thick layer. It will work on the neck end or tail end. Which would be better? Tail end would need more material of course being the lower bout. But the top would involve the neck block, but less material. Of course it is the more important joint.

Keep telling myself this is my new hobby. It IS relaxing and rewarding.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Default A thought

Warning: I've never done this - - - but the dimension (1 cm) is small enough to hide and big enough to work. How about adding some kind of extension to the back at the neck-block end? It'll be in the shadow of the heel cap, maybe integrated with the heel cap. Wouldn't look like a problem fix but a unique bit of detail...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair