The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-15-2021, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Stephen Kinnaird 2021 - Part 2

Steve and I always knew that year was going to consist of two main parts: everything before the 2021 B.I.G. show and everything after. Well we finished the first "half" of our year with an extremely successful event in New Braunfels, but we're not done yet. We have some more great guitars coming this year, and we want to start a back half thread to show them off.

In the BIG thread, Al Mojo asked what guitars were still available post-BIG. Well both of the OM's that we took found new homes, but here's two guitars that are in need of adopting. One's tiny and one's big, but they both can make sweet music.

Thanks for watching, and stick around with us for the rest of the year!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Yow! I can't believe either of those guitars made it back to Texas...
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

That oak parlor sounded and played great in person and recorded incredibly well.

The 12 string sounds monstrous...in a good way. Burst aside, the color variation of the sapele was stunning...a truly gorgeous guitar.

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:39 PM

Stephen

I had the privilege of playing one of your deep body OM models in Birdseye maple yesterday, and I was absolutely blown away. The fit, the finish, the tone with fingers or with a pick, the super-fast neck shape, the quality...did I mention the tone? I was absolutely smitten! I'm not at a point in life where I can justify a world-class instrument of that quality, but I sure as heck will be telling others about it!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Yow! I can't believe either of those guitars made it back to Texas...
Thanks Paul, hopefully they won’t be here long. But actually, they never left the state…

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
That oak parlor sounded and played great in person and recorded incredibly well.

The 12 string sounds monstrous...in a good way. Burst aside, the color variation of the sapele was stunning...a truly gorgeous guitar.
Thanks John, we are pleased that both seem to represent their species well, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Stephen

I had the privilege of playing one of your deep body OM models in Birdseye maple yesterday, and I was absolutely blown away. The fit, the finish, the tone with fingers or with a pick, the super-fast neck shape, the quality...did I mention the tone? I was absolutely smitten! I'm not at a point in life where I can justify a world-class instrument of that quality, but I sure as heck will be telling others about it!
Wow, thank you Treenewt! It sounds like you were spending time with one of our test guitars from last year. I was quite pleased with the way that maple guitar turned out, and it encourages me that you seem to be as well. Thanks again.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-16-2021, 04:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

They are amazing guitars. I played them both at BIG and know where of I speak.
The parlor completely out plays it’s size, like a little sound dynamo that is shockingly loud. The 12 string sounds amazing and is easy to play. If you have ever wanted a 12 string guitar this is the one to get.

I especially enjoyed that last tune on the 12 string. It had a medieval sound.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

The parlor was really wonderful; one of my favorites at the show. I hope you find it a home soon! Mostly, was great to meet you and Ryan! Thanks for the great conversation and suggestions! Dave
Old 09-16-2021, 06:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Had I not picked up one of the aforementioned OMs, that 12-string would have joined my collection. One schweeet axe!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Steve and Ryan,

You guys have a wonderful chemistry going on between you…and the instruments you’re creating are absolutely inspiring. Thank you both for sharing your time with me at BIGv2. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with each of you. I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys have in store for the second half of 2021.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-16-2021, 07:12 AM

Yes, put me on the list of fan boys of both of those guitars. I was particularly smitten by the parlor that thinks it is a concert size. There is NO small guitar boxiness in that box AT ALL.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
They are amazing guitars. I played them both at BIG and know where of I speak.
The parlor completely out plays it’s size, like a little sound dynamo that is shockingly loud. The 12 string sounds amazing and is easy to play. If you have ever wanted a 12 string guitar this is the one to get.

I especially enjoyed that last tune on the 12 string. It had a medieval sound.
Very kind of you bro, thanks. “…a little sound dynamo…” I love that.
Yes, that last piece on the 12 string was included for the section of descending parallel 5ths. Though Bach would have avoided that, they sound good (yes, Medieval) on the 12 string, even though my right hand was misbehaving…drat.

KBW

Old 09-16-2021, 07:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
The parlor was really wonderful; one of my favorites at the show. I hope you find it a home soon! Mostly, was great to meet you and Ryan! Thanks for the great conversation and suggestions! Dave
Thank you Dave! It was a real treat meeting you at BIG, and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversations as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Had I not picked up one of the aforementioned OMs, that 12-string would have joined my collection. One schweeet axe!
Ah Dennis, it’s never too late. You remember our repeat customer discounts. (Just sayin’) Many thanks for the kind word!

Old 09-16-2021, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Steve and Ryan,

You guys have a wonderful chemistry going on between you…and the instruments you’re creating are absolutely inspiring. Thank you both for sharing your time with me at BIGv2. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with each of you. I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys have in store for the second half of 2021.

-joel
Thank you Joel. We have been blessed—as have you! I’m glad your son is getting his amp…and you know what I mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, put me on the list of fan boys of both of those guitars. I was particularly smitten by the parlor that thinks it is a concert size. There is NO small guitar boxiness in that box AT ALL.
Tom, one of these days a white oak parlor on that wall of yours! If White Oak seems better qualified as firewood than tonewood, all one need do is tap it and listen. Sure, there’s fire there, but also music.
Thanks for the kind word, and again for the great BIG event.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

Wow, thank you Treenewt! It sounds like you were spending time with one of our test guitars from last year. I was quite pleased with the way that maple guitar turned out, and it encourages me that you seem to be as well. Thanks again.

Steve
Steve, I'd say that test succeeded! I haven't had a guitar "haunt" me in some time...but that one sure is!
Old 09-16-2021, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Every once in a while we get to do something fun: make a guitar for someone who doesn’t know anything about it. Today I got to do some work on a new Sitka/EIR OM that will be straightforward and simple, but hopefully will bring a lot of joy to its unsuspecting owner.

What’s more fun than giving a gift?

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop