The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Simply amazing! Thank you for sharing and congratulations.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 PM

Congratulations all the way around! Stunning guitar!
Old 10-21-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
A couple of observations after about 5-7 hours on the guitar this weekend.

Really easy to play! Even those times when I’m employing a full barre at the 2nd fret are as easy as I could ask for, and that’s on a set of mediums! Left hand stuff feels great. Still settling in with the right hand for complex/faster playing, but a transparent feel is not far away. Great final setup! Haven’t needed to tweak a thing.

The bass is opening up. It’s controlled and balanced but there’s a deep breath developing. Overtones are still mostly living in the highs and true mids, but they are starting to move into the low mids. Nothing is muddy, just deeper. It’s crazy to experience the changes a new guitar goes through first hand. (fun fact, this is the first brand new guitar I’ve ever owned.)

Really smooth highs and high mids, nothing is harsh. Sounds smoother than many guitars I’ve played with this top wood.

Tons of power in the low mids. I can see why Rory was rather insistent on the Adirondack for my particular guitar. Nothing is compressing. That said, no registers are being overpowered. No idea how this was achieved. It’s kinda weird and hard to explain.

Sweet response to a light touch, but tons of power and volume on tap. The voicing in that regard is pretty impressive. The dynamic range is is good as I’ve ever played.

More to come as I keep on playing!

Matt
Man, you described everything perfectly. I got to play basically as close of a guitar as you can get to yours and Martin Simpson's at Cedar Rock again last week and it just sounds so good in every register. Rory's really onto something special with what he's gotten with that body shape/tonewood combo/voicing. Glad to hear your initial setup sounds like the one I played as well. I am beside myself waiting on mine to finish. I don't expect it to be as powerful as the Adirondack/ABW multi scale but I do expect that same "smoothness" and it's gonna be so fun to compose once she's home, stateside!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop