The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Shipping/Bitter cold!!

I just bought an 810 from a TGF member. It was a pleasure doing business with him. However, I'm worried about a guitar being shipped to me from the midwest. It left Toledo Ohio this morning and I understand that the temps are very cold there. It's due to arrive here in sunny, warm So Cal on Saturday.

Anyone ever received a guitar after being shipped in bitter cold temps? Any feeback? Suggestions??
Old 01-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Undignified

I recently received my Collings from Olde Town Pickin Parlor in Colorado.
From Colorado to Pa in frigid temps and I was concerned.

First thing I was told was to bring it in the house and let it sit in the carton for hours. I do not know if there is a formula but my thinking was the longer the better.
I think it sat in the carton approx 6-8 hours. Another 2 hours out of the carton but not opening the case. Another period of time maybe an hour or so with just the latches unlatched to break the seal.

Patience is the key here. You can't wait to open it but it really is worth the time to let the temp of the guitar adjust to the temp in your home.
Probably some forum members who can give you a more scientific explanation.

BTW My Collings is fine.
Hope this helps.

Tom

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 01-29-2004, 12:04 PM

Hope everything works out great, 810s are nice instruments. Hope also that you insured it. Typical Ohio cold winter wonder land, wonder if its ever gonna warm back up. I would most definately let the thing slowly warm up, but it will probably be thawed out by the time it gets to southern kalifornia.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vertical51

First thing I was told was to bring it in the house and let it sit in the carton for hours. I do not know if there is a formula but my thinking was the longer the better.
I think it sat in the carton approx 6-8 hours. Another 2 hours out of the carton but not opening the case. Another period of time maybe an hour or so with just the latches unlatched to break the seal.

Patience is the key here. You can't wait to open it but it really is worth the time to let the temp of the guitar adjust to the temp in your home.
Tom
Ditto.
The wait sucks, but its worth it.
Plus, if it came from Toledo, its gotta be good!
Old 01-30-2004, 04:36 AM

Don't forget Taylor ships guitars to guitar stores in cold states all the time.

-=Tim=-
Old 01-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Undignified

Quote:
Originally posted by TimB
Don't forget Taylor ships guitars to guitar stores in cold states all the time.

-=Tim=-
According to my Taylor dealer they are told by Taylor to wait
24 hours before opening.

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 01-30-2004, 07:53 AM

Vertical tell it straight up. Realize also that it is coming in the right direction. From the bitter cold of Ohio (Here in KY we're looking at a low near 0 tonight) to So Cal by Saturday. Track it and see where it stays. It may not be as bad as you anticiapte. It could get to Vegas by Friday night and it could also ride around on the truck in California for a while. Just be glad its not coming from So Cal to you in Ohio!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:12 AM

Quote:
24 hours before opening.
Makes sense.

-=Tim=-
Old 01-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Undignified

Quote:
Originally posted by Rider
Vertical tell it straight up. Realize also that it is coming in the right direction. From the bitter cold of Ohio (Here in KY we're looking at a low near 0 tonight) to So Cal by Saturday. Track it and see where it stays. It may not be as bad as you anticiapte. It could get to Vegas by Friday night and it could also ride around on the truck in California for a while. Just be glad its not coming from So Cal to you in Ohio!
I agree it probably helps going to a warm weather from a cold weather site. I am no expert. I just don't take chances with expensive guitars.

BTW I tell it straight up. That's the only way I go.

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 01-30-2004, 09:20 PM

Ah!...just saw that my 810 is spending the night here in So Cal before it is delivered to me tomorrow....it will have 24 hours to "thaw" before it gets to me.....

Thanks for all the input!!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:00 PM

Quote:

24 hours before opening.
We wait.... Although Taylors finish isn't as likely to "Check" like Nitrocellulose does. It still is a GOOD idea to let the guitar warm up slowly!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 PM

Every bit of advice in the above posts are perfectly correct. The "24-hour rule" should be used, and just be patient...you'll have a lifetime to play that Taylor, but it only takes a few minutes to open the guitar up right away and watch the spider web of checking evolve before your eyes.

I'm reminded of a story a buddy of mine told me after working at a local Martin/Gibson/Taylor dealer here in upstate NY. His custom order Martin arrived after a long, long wait. It was about this time 2 years ago actually. His guitar arrived and my buddy called the customer to let him know it arrived, and that he could pick it up the next day. The customer was so adamant about getting the guitar, he drove to the dealer and demanded the guitar. My buddy told him the guitar had to warm up, and reluctant, he had no choice but to give the guy his guitar. The guitar "checked" and "crazed" to a point that the top of the guitar looked like someone ran a knife over it. My buddy, who still works at this guitar dealer, now calls the customer the day AFTER the guitar has arrived, and never has there been a problem...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification