The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM

One more note: the Bose system doesn't have any on-board reverb (SA220 has five different settings), no aux input, no feedback control and some other things that the SA has. And yes, the Bose and SA systems DO sound different -- your ears will tell you what you like. They are different animals, for sure.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 PM

Yes the better Bose L1s have the bass module which does sort of trump the SA220 somewhat and I do find that something on the floor really fills things out. But, the big Bose bass nodule is OVERKILL for just guitar and vocals and a big amp like my Benz weighs less (37 vs 45) and provides all the bottom you'd ever need if called for. So, the Soloamp does go a long way towards covering all that.

My cousin has an L1 with the small bass module and tonematch. It's also very nice but seems too dry without the bass module. Almost any little combo on the floor lined into the SA220 would fill it all out nicely if you found you needed it here and there and probably still weigh as much or less than the L1 and cost less too
Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini11 View Post
Yes the better Bose L1s have the bass module which does sort of trump the SA220 somewhat and I do find that something on the floor really fills things out. But, the big Bose bass nodule is OVERKILL for just guitar and vocals and a big amp like my Benz weighs less (37 vs 45) and provides all the bottom you'd ever need if called for. So, the Soloamp does go a long way towards covering all that.

My cousin has an L1 with the small bass module and tonematch. It's also very nice but seems too dry without the bass module. Almost any little combo on the floor lined into the SA220 would fill it all out nicely if you found you needed it here and there and probably still weigh as much or less than the L1 and cost less too
Very true. I'm leaning slightly more towards the SA220 right now because I literally shudder when I have to lug all of my crap out to my car, into the venue, back out to my car, and back into my basement. All of that is 12+ trips just for my Bose system.

I gig once or twice a month. At this point I believe the Fishman has all I need and then some. Like you said, if I need to beef up the bass I could pick up a Loudbox Mini and call it a day.

I'll keep you all updated when I go scope them out.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM

LOL. Yes I hear ya friend. I too am still trying to strike the right balance between having a light load but having too little and thin of a sound versus having a really big and full sound but carrying as much as a band! The combo of my Benz lined into the EV SX 300 cab is really nice and full and provides 300 watts but I'm thinking I can still do that with another SA220 and carry just a bit less. The SX cab does get just a little woofy sometimes but it does have that great American EV sound. I'm gonna try the idea out when I can. It seems to be such a compromise---you don't want to blow people out but you don't want to be wallpaper either lol.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Paul, since you live in Lemon Grove why not make a trip up the 15 to Poway and visit the Carvin Factory showroom? Bring your Guitar and microphone with you and test drive the Carvin AG200 and Carvin AG300. Both are stand mountable and can also be used with extension speakers for more coverage:

http://www.carvinamplifiers.com/prod...igital-effects

http://www.carvinamplifiers.com/prod...igital-effects
That is a good idea, Rick. Thanks for suggesting it.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Aside from the Fishman and Bose's L1 line, is there anything else in the area of line array systems? I am a Google master but haven't come up with anything. Figure it's worth a shot to ask on here though. You people have ALL THE KNOWLEDGE.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Aside from the Fishman and Bose's L1 line, is there anything else in the area of line array systems? I am a Google master but haven't come up with anything. Figure it's worth a shot to ask on here though. You people have ALL THE KNOWLEDGE.
See if GC has a Lucas Nano 300. I'd fire one up just to say I heard it.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 PM

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Sta...16-i2942653.gc

Line6 StageSource

Quote:
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 PM

Yup. I was just looking at HK but the line 6 is interesting too.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
That is a good idea, Rick. Thanks for suggesting it.
It's a candy store for musical perfectionists, Paul. True factory direct pricing on esoteric premium gear. Ric
Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Does the Schertler mount on a stand or is it a floor system? I'm not really into floor equipment. It's also a bit out of my price range.

I may reconsider the Bose L1 Compact. It does look shockingly more portable than the model I have now. Don't let the picture fool you, those tower speakers and the speaker base is friggin' heavy:

No, it doesn't come with a stand, you have to add that as I did here...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-15-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
And I bought the Shertler Jam 400 and sold it shortly thereafter because it does not have a tweeter. I like to hear the crisp highs and the Jam 400 just didn't do it for me even with a top notch mixer.
You might prefer the Unico but... Your statement about the highs, IMNSHO, IS NOT CORRECT, the high frequency specs for the Unico and the Jam 400 are identical, they both go to 18KHz +or- 3db. (check the stats on the Schertler page). The unico has a tweeter and the jam 400 has HF Driver behind a horn. The Jam 400 utilizes the horn to throw the highs further into the audience. If you stand right on top of the two amps, it may seem as the unico may be a tad brighter, but just stand back 10 feet from the amp and you'll realize why the horn was implemented on the Jam 400. I'm sure it was a smart idea as there is much more low energy coming from the double drivers of the Jam 400. And there are quite a bit more mids and lows with the jam 400 because of the double 8" drivers, so you have to pull back the mids and lows on the channels so they don't overpower the highs. I can rip peoples ears out with the crisp highs available with the Jam 400. I have heard the unico and jam 400 side by side and I can dial them to sound nearly identical. The Unico is a fine amp, especially if you are using Schertler pickups, which are catered to with the two specialized Unico channels (Dyn and Stat). It also has a very nice spring reverb, but in my opinion, as a stand alone PA the Jam 400 has the edge, in power (twice that of the Unico, 400watts vs 200watts), channels (8 compared to 4), coverage, flexibility (8 FX presets vs 1 spring reverb). The Jam 400 requires you to dig in and learn how to use it. And what I mean by that is, the unico is a flatter sounding amp without any EQ applied which makes it sound brighter than the slightly darker jam 400, but with the EQ correctly applied, the Jam 400 soundeds bigger and just as balanced. And it only cost $100 more than the Unico! And the OP is looking for an all in one box that gets the job done as did his Bose L1 system. And neither the unico or the sa220 can match the lowend of the L1, but the Jam 400 can and in many case sound better than the L1. Bob Brozman used to refer to his RA400 (the amp the Jam 400 is based on) as his Bose killer which he is using here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ESmflSBzus

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-15-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 AM

One more thing I should mention about the Jam 400, it's heavy, as in 50lbs, so I use a roller cart. And when I'm not using the tripod stand I setup for the Schertler, I use the rolling cart to get the Jam 400 off of the ground. And at certain gigs I like it closer to the floor.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-15-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 AM

Just ran across this......I have not heard nor even seen one of these, but dang....that is a low price for a compact line array:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-system?pfm=sp
Old 04-15-2015, 06:39 AM

Really like my Lucas Nano 300. I understand they have a Lucas Nano 600 out now as well. Not very common in the states, but it sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification