The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Default Black Bear Guitars

I just picked up a Black Bear D-CK1 with serial number 030 built in June of 1995 by Duane Heilman in Yakima, WA. It is slightly smaller than a dreadnaught with Koa back and sides and a cedar top. Wonderful rich voice and excellent craftsmanship. Any other Black Bear owners?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM

I recently bought a Black Bear LG (serial number 045). I am the second owner. It was completed in April 1998 and, according to Duane Heilman, he "fashioned the appointments in the style of the older Gibson LG".

This guitar has a warm sound. Excellent mid range. I play quite a bit in open tunings and the drop D 6th string is incredible.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

I first met Duane at a GAL convention, and have run into him a few times since then. Duane is a fine builder--creative, artistic, even whimsical--and if luthiers weren't so eternally broke I would buy one of his instruments.
Congrats and enjoy yours!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Stephen, it was a real treat to view your gallery. I could "hear" them as I was wandering through them. Beautiful stuff.

Being a Texpatriate, I, curious to know whether you and other luthiers use mesquite in any part of guitar construction? I realize it may not have good tonal qualities, but it's such a beautiful wood.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Paul,

I fear we're starting to hijack this thread, but I will say that Mesquite has been used, and successfully. Not sure if Duane has used it, but it sounds like something he'd like to try. It is beautiful. As a bonus, if the guitar doesn't amount to much, you could throw it on the barbie and make something wonderful for dinner.

Thanks for the kind words, by the way!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Default Back to Bears

Can't tell if the originator of this thread bought from a craigslist seller or is interested in trading his recently acquired Bear. The link below is from 8/11/2011, but the reply link in it leads to a craigslist ad that's been deleted. If the current owner is interested in trading, perhaps you have something to trade and it's a win-win !

Can't you just feel the love ?!

http://www.acousticspeak.com/seattle...n-seattle-1750

Last edited by ptferris; 09-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop