The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-29-2021, 10:13 AM

Default Replacement tuners for “Inspired by Gibson” J-45

Any suggestions? I love the way they look, but the go out of tune like crazy. I also have the inspired by G hummingbird, and tuners are way better!
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2021, 04:20 PM

Interesting - I have the IBG Hummingbird too and the tuners on that are fine.

I've found Gotoh tuners are the smoothest regardless of which model.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-29-2021, 07:48 PM

Even the most basic guitar tuners are seldom the reason for guitars going out of tune. I would look elsewhere, namely:
1) Check the anchoring of the strings in the bridge. Make sure the string balls are flush against the bridgeplate.
2) Wind the string solidly on the tuner post top to bottom (1 to 4 turns) with no overlapping. When installing new strings, tighten them a few steps below standard, then grab each string near the center and give a sharp tug. Then tune to pitch. That cinches both ends of the string.
3) Make sure the strings are not binding in the nut slots.
4) Check the saddle for flush fit on the bottom. A saddle or slot that is not perfectly flat can create a situation where the saddle can rock end to end.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:35 PM

OP hasn't mentioned the extent of his guitar's going out of tune. Every time I pick up my guitar, I re-tune it. It always needs at least a tweak. I think the wood in the guitar changing dimension due to humidity and temperature changes is much more a factor in tuning changes. And swapping tuners won't change that a whit.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:51 AM

I'm with those who have never had a guitar that went out of tune because of the tuners, unless the tuners were physically broken. The design of the worm gear and it's mechanical advantage means that string tension has literally no chance to move the pinion (the round disc part attached to the post) against the worm gear ( the bit you turn with the knob). My oldest and probably cheapest tuners are 1935 Klusons, they stay in tune just fine, once they are in tune.

What I think can happen is that cheap tuners can have a lot of friction in them, called stiction in some circles, so that when you have them in tune they can jump and detune with a tap, or a little time. I usually address this by always tuning up to pitch from below, but it can get frustrating. I just got a new set of Golden Age tuners, same design as the tuners on my 1935 Dobro, because the knobs are falling off. Simple, cheap upgrade. Bottom line is there are a lot of upgrade tuners out there, simple change, get ones that visually and physically match what you have so they fit right, and have at it. For what they are, they are astoundingly cheap.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:17 PM

A little late, but did you find a proper replacement? I have been looking for some as well, but I believe all of the ones I've found have the wrong dimensions for the epiphone. All of the on plate tuners call for a tuning peg spacing of 1-3/8", and from my measurements, that is not the spacing on the epiphone.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:00 PM

Hey any update on this? I also have an Epiphone inspired by Gibson j-45 and I also find the tuners to be lackluster. I believe it is the issue that was described the tuners have some slack/sticktion or whatever it’s called, I don’t like them. I don’t have this issue on my other guitars. Just this one. Love the guitar though. I want to get the hipshot tuners to replace them. They have two sizes but I’m not sure which one. One for 10 mm peg holes and one for 8.5 mm. I don’t want to take one off to measure it. My understanding is probably it’s 8.5 as it doesn’t hve that hex bolt on top. Also like these tuners because they sell the kit with the back plate. No drilling required etc. and you can get different tuning buttons from them as well so I can get a tuner upgrade and choose the buttons I want also. But I’m not sure what size. They seem to have good reviews anyone used them ?
Old 01-23-2023, 03:11 PM

Default a thought

Too much trouble to remove one tuner and measure? So sad.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:14 PM

I've had really good luck with anything made by Wilkinson, especially their tuners.

I've not tried their 3 on a plate tuners but I've installed their open gear butter bean tuners on 3 guitars and bought 2 more sets for future projects.

The plate tuner measurements are listed here, also available on Amazon.

https://musicianoutfitters.com/produ...r-guitar-cream
Old 01-23-2023, 04:53 PM

Easy killer. Maybe we value our time differently. I have time to ask here in between other tasks. I don’t have time to disassemble my tuners until the weekend. I got a lot of things going on. Maybe you do too and still make time to do things like that. That’s great for you. Thanks for the helpful comment for though superstar.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:54 PM

Thanks so much. I will check that out.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim75 View Post
Easy killer. Maybe we value our time differently. I have time to ask here in between other tasks. I don’t have time to disassemble my tuners until the weekend. I got a lot of things going on. Maybe you do too and still make time to do things like that. That’s great for you. Thanks for the helpful comment for though superstar.
Did you figure out if it’s 8.5 or 10? Did you order the hipshots? I’ve been thinking of getting the same ones for the IBG J45. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2023, 05:53 AM

I did measure and order the hipshots. However the holes may be 8.5. But they’re not ‘exactly’ 8.5. Or else the pins are not exactly 8.5. The new pins do not fit into the holes. Though they are sooo close to fitting in, but they don’t. The hole is maybe 1mm too small-I’m guessing I don’t have a device to measure it accurately. I bought a guitar hand reamer and I am going to widen the hole very slowly and hopefully not wreck it lol. I am a bit reluctant to do so but I am pretty confident/foolish to think I can do it. Either way I will find out lol.

Famous last words - how hard can it be ?
Old 05-21-2023, 08:19 AM

Default Update #2

Hey so I was all set to try it out. And I took the original tuners off of one side and pushed the bushing of one hole out the front. And the ream is almost exactly the same size as the hole that is there. Ugh. Thankfully I tried to put in the tuner in from the front (because it was so close to fitting at the back) and it fit perfectly. But not from the back. Since the hole is already larger than the original tuning pin (fairly large gap- it is the same thickness as the part that sticks out of the guitar on the front all the way through to where it connects to the back plate). I’m not worried if I make the holes a bit bigger at the back I will still be able to use the originals if I decide to do that. Will update again when I get it done.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:53 PM

Default Done

Ok so I just finished and it went really well. Looks awesome. If you’re half competent and done some other even minor wood working and you have some patience, I would say go for it. The hardest part was taking the original ferrules (is that what they are called?) out. They were in there really good. Because the hole was the correct size at the front I just ended up using a drill from the front. I was able to have the drill bit just inside the hole and bring it up to maybe half speed or so and then gently push it through. Just be careful to arrange the plates the correct way-follow the pictures (the half round chunk taken out of the plates shows at the top and the bottom). It doesn’t really say that but if you don’t put them that way the retaining edges won’t line up with the tuning machines. I took pics but can’t upload them here (shrugs).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair