The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-02-2022, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Default PSA - New Free version of Pro Tools announced

And interesting development in Avids Pro Tools saga

Apparently Avid has decided to bring back a new improved free version (called Into) - admittedly limited in track count but apparently will function like the basic PT version... could be just the ticket for many here on AGF how do not need high track counts and either want to explore the PT work flow or are just starting out Now obviously the one question is how long will Avid support this free version But the future is alway's an unknown. And even if at some point in the future they do drop support , it will still be a good introduction in DAW recording and mixing

Pro Tools Intro Features
Stereo Only

8 Mono or Stereo Audio Tracks

8 Instrument Tracks

8 MIDI Tracks

4 Aux Tracks or Routing Folders

No VCAs

1 Master Fader

4 Simultaneous Recording Inputs

2000 Basic Folders

Clip FX - Playback Only

Third Party Hardware Support (Core Audio, ASIO, WASAPI)

ARA2 Support for Melodyne, but no bundled version of Melodyne. If you have a copy it will integrate

Bundle of 35 Core effect plugins

Xpand! 2 virtual instrument Plugin

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-02-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Also for any of us who currently use PT the new 2022.9 version finally at long last brings a new Aux I/O feature that allows direct connection to 3 rd party Apps to run in PT, like Zoom Meeting ,,, eliminating the need for an additional connection app like Nexus --- Yay !!!

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-02-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Now obviously the one question is how long will Avid support this free version But the future is alway's an unknown. And even if at some point in the future they do drop support , it will still be a good introduction in DAW recording and mixing.
I think this is a good move on Avid's part but Avid is such a dysfunctional company in that their focus seems to shift in ways that make some subset of customers feel unappreciated. Pro Tools levels and pricing is a great example of that but I think the best example is the way they abandoned the home studio market for about a decade.

The Digi 003 came out in 2007 and, like its predecessors, it was clearly aimed at the home studio user. But after that there wasn't another interface for the home studio market until Carbon in 2020, and the price of Carbon put it out of reach for the majority of that market. If they're going to do a free version of PT, they really should come out with a price-friendly entry-level interface. I would think that letting people grow within the ecosystem would make better sense than letting them start elsewhere with the hope they enter at some later date.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2022, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Im so happy to tinker with my old porta-studio and let you guys forge new trails through the digital jungle!!

I tried pro tools a few generations ago, and when I couldnt unlock the download with the digital key, I had a “face reality” moment!

Good luck, and keep up the good work!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-02-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Im so happy to tinker with my old porta-studio and let you guys forge new trails through the digital jungle!!

I tried pro tools a few generations ago, and when I couldnt unlock the download with the digital key, I had a “face reality” moment!

Humm are you talking about the PACE iLok ? Which BTW is in fact also needed for this new Free version license ..

But to be clear you do not use the iLok to "unlock the download" you simply install the download on your computer ... You use the iLok to unlock the license..

Dave if you think you might want to perhaps give it go, I would be happy to walk you through the install and launch process. Although you might want to also purchase some kind of interface ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-02-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I think this is a good move on Avid's part but Avid is such a dysfunctional company in that their focus seems to shift in ways that make some subset of customers feel unappreciated. Pro Tools levels and pricing is a great example of that but I think the best example is the way they abandoned the home studio market for about a decade.

The Digi 003 came out in 2007 and, like its predecessors, it was clearly aimed at the home studio user. But after that there wasn't another interface for the home studio market until Carbon in 2020, and the price of Carbon put it out of reach for the majority of that market. If they're going to do a free version of PT, they really should come out with a price-friendly entry-level interface. I would think that letting people grow within the ecosystem would make better sense than letting them start elsewhere with the hope they enter at some later date.
Yes Jim but there's dozens of really great third party interfaces available at very competitive prices. I think I read that the Focusrite 2i2 is the single best selling interface on the market. A really great performance package at well under $200.00. With all the endless competition in USB interfaces under $500.00, I don't think Digi felt a pressing need.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
True as were the M Audio series,, so it will be interesting to see if they get back in that home user hardware market
OTOH as Joseph just posted (while I was stumbling through my reply ) since there are already so many good competitive entry and mid tier interfaces that can run PT.... Avid may be content to offer only the software in hopes that when the Free users grow,,, they will move to the paid versions of PT and maybe the higher end Avid hardware ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-02-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yes Jim but there's dozens of really great third party interfaces available at very competitive prices. I think I read that the Focusrite 2i2 is the single best selling interface on the market. A really great performance package at well under $200.00. With all the endless competition in USB interfaces under $500.00, I don't think Digi felt a pressing need.
That's true now, wasn't true then.
Also, let's not confuse "best selling" with having anything to do with quality. The "best selling" of anything with a wide price range is almost always going to be one of the cheapest examples.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Currently using a Zoom R20, I understand the sentiment!
Old 10-02-2022, 04:05 PM

I think I'll keep up my Pro Tools support license fee for the upcoming year, at least that's my plan, though I mainly use Logic and Adobe Audition. I used Pro Tools when I recorded full band sessions for years, but that sort of thing is fading out in my list of needs, and though I respect Pro Tools audio editing features, I never really dived in deep to that. I still use Pro Tools in my studio space, if only out of habit.

As long-timers will know, Pro Tools Free versions have a history of abrupt dead ends, so the Lucy with the football thing occurs to parts of the market I'd suppose. If it really requires an iLok it's not unconditionally free, as most beginners will not have an iLok. But options are always good.

In theory I could use Free version to familiarize myself with the editing workflow it the greater amount of time I have away from the studio space, and potentially replace Audition which has a yearly cost. Carrying the iLok dongle back and forth has always been theoretically possible, but for personal reasons impractical. At my age, I may stick to what I know in Audition, or switch to using Logic for everything.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-02-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
8 Mono or Stereo Audio Tracks

8 Instrument Tracks

8 MIDI Tracks
I'm not planning to move to Pro Tools, but I'm curious and I don't see on their site what the difference is between "Instrument" tracks and audio or MIDI. Are these tracks dedicated to VIs, as opposed to generic MIDI tracks you might use to control outboard synths?
Old 10-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I'm not planning to move to Pro Tools, but I'm curious and I don't see on their site what the difference is between "Instrument" tracks and audio or MIDI. Are these tracks dedicated to VIs, as opposed to generic MIDI tracks you might use to control outboard synths?
Midi tracks cannot pass audio so back in the day we had to pair a midi track with an aux track. An instrument track makes that combination obsolete by combining the midi data and allowing for the output of audio. You can edit the same as you would a midi track and use plugins the same as you would on an audio track.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Some add'l info:

PT Intro also supports third party plugins (in standard Pro Tools .aax format).

Even though it's free, you have to register it and use a Pace authorization scheme (it is authorized to your computer and not to an iLok, so no need for a USB iLok).

When folks with subscriptions to PT Artist, Studio or Ultimate fail to renew their subscription, PT Intro automatically turns on and sessions made in the three more fully featured versions will load in PT Intro (subject to PT Free's spec limits).
Old 10-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Sorry I was down finishing up a fuel shed I just built.

But as Jim stated
Instrument tracks are a combination of midi and an audio track and Yes they are primarily used to place VI's Now I do not know (because I do not have any) if they can also be used to trigger outboard synths But my guess is probably yes because they have the midi notes right on the track which triggers the plugins inserts SO I would guess it just a matter of having the outboard synth set up as an insert on the Instrument track also . ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-02-2022, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Some add'l info:

PT Intro also supports third party plugins (in standard Pro Tools .aax format).

Even though it's free, you have to register it and use a Pace authorization scheme (it is authorized to your computer and not to an iLok, so no need for a USB iLok).

When folks with subscriptions to PT Artist, Studio or Ultimate fail to renew their subscription, PT Intro automatically turns on and sessions made in the three more fully featured versions will load in PT Intro (subject to PT Free's spec limits).
Humm so to clarify you can't use the USB iLok to run Intro ? Or you have the option to not use the iLok dongle and run from your computer thru the internet connection to Pace authorization ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD