The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 12:04 AM

I'm speculating that we're finally looking at the long-awaited all-solid GS Mini, since it's being released with a new case (presumably the much-requested HSC - pink-poodle perhaps?); as suggested above I also think it may be added to the regular lineup rather than confined to the GS Mini line (the -75 suffix - as in 0.75 or 3/4-size - might be a good designation, and would allow it to be produced at any level from 300-Series to Presentation/BTO). I also suspect the 1-3/4" neck will be a custom-order option - if offered at all - and confined to the 300-and-up line; IME they're simply selling too many standard Minis to younger/older players (I've recommended them to both, BTW) who find the extra width daunting, as well as a couple electric-lead players I've seen who use them as "unplugged" shredding machines , to make a wholesale changeover...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

My guess is the new Mini will now be made by Martin!

Joking aside, I also think it will be a solid wood version.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 AM

A large part of the GS Mini sound is the result of the unique body design utilizing the substantial induced arch of the pressed and laminated back which also allows it to be assembled without back bracing.

I'd have doubts that Taylor would go the other way with the Mini, but with Andy Powers at the design helm you can never say never.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:04 AM

I almost hope it is an all-solid mini as then I won't need to have GAS. But if it is, it would be the only made in Mexico all-solid Taylor (i think), and if they move the production to the US the price would go up quite substantially. I don't see either of those things being very likely somehow.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Since it's a Mini, would it be lower-case v bracing then?
TOO FUNNY!!!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 12-10-2019, 10:05 AM

What if it is a Mini Grand Pacific. I guess it could be called Mini Pacific lol
Old 12-10-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I haven't heard anything, but I would love a Mini that is shaped like a small dreadnaught and has a 1 3/4 nut...
Lol. If you can stand another name on the headstock why not a D Jr? All solid too!
Old 12-10-2019, 04:37 PM

Default This may be nothing...

...but I just came from my local Taylor dealer. We were talking GS Minis and he said that Taylor is bringing back the Rosewood version.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifesHusband View Post
...I just came from my local Taylor dealer...he said that Taylor is bringing back the Rosewood version.
Solid or lam...?
Old 12-10-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Solid or lam...?
No idea, but since they just redid the 100 series with rosewood lam, that might be a clue for the "new" GS Mini.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Solid or lam...?
Lam ("layered"), if this is anything to go by:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/ne...wood-announced

That is from December 6th.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Lam ("layered"), if this is anything to go by:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/ne...wood-announced

That is from December 6th.
Interesting that they are even taking pre-orders.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 PM

I don’t see the rosewood model as being the big secret from this Taylor employee. He would not say anything at all about it and if it’s a “re-release” of the rosewood, I don’t see them doing a new case roll-out with a model they have already built. I believe they will do a Builder’s Edition Mini with the BE features and the WHB finish with a new case, hopefully a hard shell. This is all speculation though. They made the Grand Pacific announcement last January at Winter NAMM, so some completely new model seems appropriate. I hope it does have a 1 3/4 nut width, but IDK...the source seems very credible though, so I’m pretty excited to see what it is
Fender MIM Tele
Old 12-11-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
I don’t see the rosewood model as being the big secret from this Taylor employee. He would not say anything at all about it and if it’s a “re-release” of the rosewood, I don’t see them doing a new case roll-out with a model they have already built.
I agree. I'm not saying the re-release of the rosewood version isn't going to happen, but I don't think Taylor doing a re-release of a laminate version of the GSM as a noteworthy NAMM announcement. After all, Taylor really didn't make a big deal of recent new laminate releases, like figured sapele and ovangkol.

I have no clue what, if anything, will be announced at NAMM. I like some of the speculations that have been discussed in this thread though. I guess I'll have to wait to see, along with everyone else.

I know most won't agree , but I'm also hoping for a non-e (no electronics) version.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 12-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I agree. I'm not saying the re-release of the rosewood version isn't going to happen, but I don't think Taylor doing a re-release of a laminate version of the GSM as a noteworthy NAMM announcement. After all, Taylor really didn't make a big deal of recent new laminate releases, like figured sapele and ovangkol.

I have no clue what, if anything, will be announced at NAMM. I like some of the speculations that have been discussed in this thread though. I guess I'll have to wait to see, along with everyone else.

I know most won't agree , but I'm also hoping for a non-e (no electronics) version.
Mini Pacific ....explains why it would be getting a case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion