The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 PM

Default slimming a fat neck on an old Kay jumbo

I just bought a late 50'd Kay jumbo. It's the somewhat rare, X-braced K-27. No truss rod.

My dillema: this guitar sounds FANTASTIC. It has a clean, dry tone and tons of bass. a great strummer that rivals any J200 I have heard.

But I HATE the neck! Baseball bat, D profile that does not feel comfy to me. The nut width is fine though - 1 11/16. I wrapped a tape measure around the neck right at the nut, and this Kay is over 1/2" beefier than my 2018 J-35 - which is the PERFECT neck for my hands.

My question is can I have someone sand down the neck to more of a "C" profile like you would find on a modern J45?

I don't care about resale value. This was a $1K guitar purchase. I also don't care if the back of the neck needs to be refinished. So there's that.

I LOVE the look and vibe of this thing.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Yes it can be done. I've seen quite a few old guitars that started out as square necks that were shaved down to a round neck.
I have no idea what it would cost. If your not worried about refinishing the neck you could probably do it yourself.
Cool guitar. I've always wanted one of those.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:49 AM

If someone does it for you, do not be surprised if they say they take no responsibility should the neck break afterwards or they sand and hit the truss rod.

These are things that can and do happen and are really beyond the control of the luthier.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair