The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
For right hand practice, regardless of tuning or chord, Clive Carroll has a good exercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwV1-941PI&t=60
He's chosen a specific chord and specific right hand pattern (from a Villa Lobos piece), but the exercise can be applied to any chord which you're arpeggiating using thumb and three fingers. It's about dynamic control of each finger - as well as (of course) steady timing of the 8th notes.
Very cool. I like the part where Clive talks about "Guadalupe style" music, where apparently the 5th of the chord is played before the root, and it reminded me of Nigel Tufnel's explanation of Indonesian Folk Music:

Old 11-29-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I mainly learned things by nailing tunes and applying those revelations to learning the next set of tunes. On at least some pieces try for totally memorization, lack of hesitations, practiced finger placement to avoid buzzes and unintentionally muted adjacent strings.
This ^^^^^^^!

I can recall spending my time doing exercises until finally my wife asked why I didn't play music. It seemed so obvious at that moment. If you want to focus on some aspect of technique, find a tune that requires that technique and learn it as rick-slo describes.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write