The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Default Learning a Finger Picking Song

Is it better to practice and learn one song at a time (mostly classical finger picking songs..reading the notes from a music sheet), or should practice be focused on learning 4-5 songs at the same time? Comments appreciated.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I would think the answer is whatever keeps you playing without getting too frustrated, as long as you don't give up on all the songs...which is what I do
Old 11-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I work on a few at a time, but I will have my main focus on one to get it to a recording level. I will work on the others to keep from getting bored with the "focused" tune.

I don't learn tunes to build a repetoire though. My guitar playing is more like doing crossword puzzles. Once I finish one I won't play it again for some time generally.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Depends on whether or not I am trying to memorize the song.

If I am trying to memorize a song, I work on just that one for the memorization.

If I'm just trying to learn the song in general, I would on two or three at a time.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 AM

I agree it's really up to you and what you find most enjoyable. Personally I like to work on one tune until I've got it. I will still play other music (that I already know) between sessions on a new tune, but I won't usually be learning more than one tune at a time.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
...the answer is whatever keeps you playing...
This, in a nutshell.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:31 PM

When I was first learning to play my guitar coach told me it was better to play a few songs really well, than to play 50 songs so/so. I still think that way, although my list of songs I play well is longer now. The best advice I have is to learn one song to perfection as you will be ready when friends or family ask you to play something for them. Over time add a few more encore songs.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-15-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

I always have 4-5 songs going at once. I practice slow, in time and use computer programs that will slow down music or video and be pitch corrected. I gradually increase the speed until I get it, but I try not to play one measure or “sticking” spot over and over and find that 10 minutes a day for 2 weeks is better than hours trying to get it. When my hand cramps up or I get frustrated I play a few easier tunes in between to keep my repertoire up. I keep a book with vinyl pockets I can slide sheet music into and rotate those songs each month as I think about it. Once I can play it, it leaves the book...until I forget it again, but those I can usually pick back up in a day or two.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 AM

When I was an active music student, my instructor would let me choose one piece and he'll choose another...and it's usually the case I choose a challenging piece and he'll choose one that can learn and be able to play within a few weeks.

If one of those pieces is a long term goal, then your other pieces should, in my opinion, be fairly easy (not easy as in being beginner pieces but easy as in easy and very doable for you.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Can't advise you about you but I will say that I have many pieces of music under development at any given time and that hasn't changed in >>>>>>> years. It doesn't come down to a method but rather the satisfying of curiosity, which cannot be ignored. If I had not given it free run I would have frustratingly denied it and suffered the effects. I never dropped anything. I just let curiosity schedule my rounds and that kept it fun. All that I have been curious enough to start was finished as my skills improved. Picking up the guitar to make music is driven by curiosity. To subject it to limits after starting to learn seems counter-intuitive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write