The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemgit View Post
The "A" is for adirondack.
Right, but the A model doesn't have the gaudy headstock, and the neck is less likely to be orange, which is something that's turned me off in the non-A versions.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Blueridge makes great sounding guitars but after going through 3 cracked tops I'm done with them.
Yikes. David, can you elaborate on causes, why it happened or has this been covered in another thread? Thanks

Dan
Old 12-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemgit View Post
I'm a big fan of my BR-183A.

I do love your version of this classic. I think it's simply beautiful. I've watched this video dozens and dozens of times over the past couple of years. Just a great job!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM

I bought a used Blueridge 140A a couple months ago, and it is fantastic. Very clear tone and all around a great guitar. Haven't played a Blueridge OM/000 with adi, but the dreadnought is great.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Yikes. David, can you elaborate on causes, why it happened or has this been covered in another thread? Thanks

Dan
Yes over a period of 3 or 4 years they had to replace my BR361 parlor 3 times because of the center seam opening up. I also had 2 of Saga's Trinity College guitars that are no longer around. 2 had finish issues with blushing. I also had a BR160 A2 Dread which was a very nice guitar but I sold when I got my D18. Every Saga guitar I've had sounded wonderful, but I think some of the Pac Rim manufacturers build overly light guitars which sound great right out of the box but can cause some issues.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

Last edited by davidd; 12-10-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the comments and well wishes. Zemgit, beautiful version of Here Comes The Sun. Very inspiring. The guitar sounds terrific but your talent is what stands out. Thanks for posting that.
Thank you, Tube Sound. Your kind words are appreciated!
Old 12-26-2019, 03:29 PM

The BR-243A has landed and wanted to post a few pics, right out of the box. Mostly wanted to share the Adirondack top but included pics of critical points. With no set-up done, play-ability and tone are right up there. If I could only have Zemgit play this one for you on video, we could have a real tone evaluation. Calling Zemgit to Vancouver Island! Cheers and Happy New Year to you all.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Default Zemgit

Zemgit, that was a sweet play! You took a classic and made it your sound--and you're certainly making that Blueridge sound like a quality build.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
The BR-243A has landed and wanted to post a few pics, right out of the box. Mostly wanted to share the Adirondack top but included pics of critical points. With no set-up done, play-ability and tone are right up there. If I could only have Zemgit play this one for you on video, we could have a real tone evaluation. Calling Zemgit to Vancouver Island! Cheers and Happy New Year to you all.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Congrats! That is a beautiful looking guitar! The grain on the top looks quite nice! I hope you enjoy every minute with it!
Old 12-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! That's a great looking guitar, and I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I recently got a new BR-240A Mahogany/Adi dread, which left me cold on first impressions. The neck was twisted, needed a setup, borderline fret leveling, and I'm not a fan of the spray tan look (not to mention that their "premium" top was nowhere near as nice looking as yours). But since getting the initial work done, the sound and playability have gotten much better, so I'm hanging onto it for now. As others mention, the tone is closer to the Martin sound, but the fit and finish are nowhere near Martin, Eastman, or other brands that I've owned. But I got it for an incredible price, so there was no downside to the purchase, and it gave me a chance to own and play a BR.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Congrats! That's a great looking guitar, and I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I recently got a new BR-240A Mahogany/Adi dread, which left me cold on first impressions. The neck was twisted, needed a setup, borderline fret leveling, and I'm not a fan of the spray tan look (not to mention that their "premium" top was nowhere near as nice looking as yours). But since getting the initial work done, the sound and playability have gotten much better, so I'm hanging onto it for now. As others mention, the tone is closer to the Martin sound, but the fit and finish are nowhere near Martin, Eastman, or other brands that I've owned. But I got it for an incredible price, so there was no downside to the purchase, and it gave me a chance to own and play a BR.
Hi PV, thanks for chiming in. Wow, a twisted neck. That's a more complicated set-up! What can you tell me about the adi tone? Do you notice something special? I think I got lucky on mine, the finishing seems to be very decent. I also got mine for a price where I had no choice but to take a chance.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

The Blueridge guitars that I've played with Adirondack tops all sounded really good. Cosmetically, however, the grain on these Adirondack tops tended to be very wide and maybe a bit meandering in straightness. This reaffirmed for me that even rather ratty-looking top wood can sound wonderful.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Congrats! That is a beautiful looking guitar! The grain on the top looks quite nice! I hope you enjoy every minute with it!
The Adirondack top on that Blueridge BR-243A is better looking than what I've seen on several Martins with Adirondack tops!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi PV, thanks for chiming in. Wow, a twisted neck. That's a more complicated set-up! What can you tell me about the adi tone? Do you notice something special? I think I got lucky on mine, the finishing seems to be very decent. I also got mine for a price where I had no choice but to take a chance.
My luthier does a great job, and after I got it back, it plays wonderfully. The neck is slightly thin, but it doesn't bother me.

As for the Adi tone, for me, Red Spruce has more clarity and less warmth than Sitka, and I think that's true with this guitar. With the bracing, it's very responsive, and the lows stand out a little more. The sound was a bit harsh to start, but I can hear that dissipate as I play it more. Also, it seems to lose a little with a capo, so I'm curious to see if it stays that way or opens up a little more over time.

Don't let me constructive criticism sound negative. I really enjoy the sound of it, and I think it will continue to get better. Adi tops can take a while to find their voice, although with the forward shifted bracing, this one is well on its way. Most of my complaints about the guitar were with the poor setup and adjusting to the yellow colored top (I really prefer a natural top).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion