The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks again guys. After ~35 years of playing I've learned to never say never so maybe one day I'll come back to the tune. I'm actually doing that right now with a couple of other Blake tunes.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

I spent serious time learning a long, difficult piece (14 pages). I was finally able to play it through from memory Thurs. night and then spent 3 hours trying to do the same Fri. evening and couldn't.

So I sat for a half hour and thought things through. I realized I spent almost the entire evening having no fun, killing myself trying to play the tune through. I also realized that, while I enjoyed hearing others play this tune, I did not enjoy hearing me do it.

So I dropped it and honestly felt much better. I've been trimming down long pieces in my repertoire lately and I should have recognized that a difficult 14 page tune is not what I need anymore. It's still a great, iconic tune but it's not for me. As they say, if you're not having fun, what's the point? Lesson learned.

Ever come to the same conclusion?
Yea it happens its usually a newer songs that sounded great but it ended up being a dud on the radio, like Two Ghost by Harry Stiles, i can still do it but why? It was his love lost song to Taylor Swift
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 PM

Hi Doug!
Yes, of course, I've had a few of mine that had spots that were really challenging for me........funny thing is.......I created the mess! LOL!
"Winter's Light" had a section that I simply didn't know if I could get a clean take on, and it repeated itself so I had to immediately get on it instantly for a second repeat play. Finally made it with the recording....but I almost abandoned the tune back then.
Also, my tune "Fretful"......a lot of careful single notes that needed all the tone/presence I could muster....but I couldn't initially get through without messing up little stuff which the tune couldn't handle! No place to hide!! LOL! Again, almost gave up on it until one Sunday morning "lightening"struck and it all came together in one unique take. (Phew!)
and so it goes.........
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write