The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 PM

I have both a cedar topped and a spruce topped guitar. Unfortunately they are vastly different instruments (a C5 cedar and a Masters Series Esteso spruce top) so I really cannot give you an unbiased comparison. However here is a video of the Esteso models side by side, same song, same player, same recording setup. Subtle differences, I think, but to me both are quite spectacular..... Tavi and his playing expertise might have something to do with that. Maybe the spruce sounds a slight bit more clear, the cedar more lush. I have read that cedar does not change much tonally as it ages. Some say spruce improves with age...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MWiYdTRKyQ&app=desktop
Old 04-29-2018, 12:15 PM

Default C9 or C10 neck width

Original post mentioned wanting the standard classical guitar Neck width.
I need confirmation as well, but don't all Cardobas come with a 2.0 inch Neck ? Is that considered the standard or is it more like 2.04 inches ?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sorry for the delay. I believe the answer is no.

What is very popular in the nylon world these days, as I understand it, is "hybrid" models. These are build to appeal to electric players and steel string players with thinner and narrower necks.

These guitars have narrower and thinner necks, smaller bodies (including sometimes thinner bodies too) and other appointments attractive to electric and steel string players.

sm
Old 05-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Used Cordoba C9 or C10. I paid $550 for my F10 flamenco and it's awesome. I installed a K&K Pure Classic pickup system in it after I bought it and it's amazing sounding. Very natural.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 AM
Guest 2434

I'm going to add that I have a C9 parlor that I have really grown to enjoy. however, it doesn't quite fit your criteria... it's 7/8 size but I don't really notice it being undersized. it IS 'parlor' steel string size but it does 'classical' so well.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Scott, I am not a shill for Tom Prisloe but I feel his Pavan TP-20 is worth a serious look for $1295. Do it right by doing it once.
I'll second the notion on Pavan. I have a TP-30/640 (spruce) that is quite a guitar. It avoids the inexpensive (for classicals) bugaboo of lack of Treble/Bass balance. I also have a Cordoba C10 (Cedar), it is a nice guitar but with too much bass (or not enough treble, I suppose). In fairness, the TP-30 is $650 MORE than a C10 so you do get what you pay for.

The only downside to Pavan is communication. Tom is not good at it....
Sending emails is a total waste of time, voice mails may be returned, or keep calling until you actually get him on the phone.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-28-2018, 12:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
I'll second the notion on Pavan. I have a TP-30/640 (spruce) that is quite a guitar. It avoids the inexpensive (for classicals) bugaboo of lack of Treble/Bass balance. I also have a Cordoba C10 (Cedar), it is a nice guitar but with too much bass (or not enough treble, I suppose). In fairness, the TP-30 is $650 MORE than a C10 so you do get what you pay for.

The only downside to Pavan is communication. Tom is not good at it....
Sending emails is a total waste of time, voice mails may be returned, or keep calling until you actually get him on the phone.
Jimmy, thanks for the rec. I have indeed heard of these as being great.

I'll likely go with a Cordoba C9 or C10. However, long-term I'll likely look at Eastmans. They have a classical line that will start shipping sometime in the next year or so, so that will be interesting.

thanks again,
scott
Old 05-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Guest 2143

I too recommend a Cordoba C9. I have owned one for quite a whle now and think its sound and playability are outstanding. To answer an earlier question, the nut width on mine is 52mm (2.047"), string spacing at nut (which I think is much more important since you do not play the nut, you play the strings) is 42mm. The string spacing at the bridge is 59mm. These are about standard measurements for a classical guitar. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I too recommend a Cordoba C9. I have owned one for quite a whle now and think its sound and playability are outstanding. To answer an earlier question, the nut width on mine is 52mm (2.047"), string spacing at nut (which I think is much more important since you do not play the nut, you play the strings) is 42mm. The string spacing at the bridge is 59mm. These are about standard measurements for a classical guitar. Hope this helps.
Thirsty, thanks. Yes, the Cordoba's seem to be almost universally respected. I've had a little C5-CE for a couple years now that is pretty dang good.

I did have a general question or two for folks in this thread.

1) It appears most Cordobas come with a choice of either Cedar or Spruce top. I believe Cedar is considered warmer and softer, correct?

2) Which tonewood on the top is the one that goes way back in time, to earlier periods in classical guitars? I'm very much a traditionalist in this regard.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 05-31-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonnak View Post
Original post mentioned wanting the standard classical guitar Neck width.
I need confirmation as well, but don't all Cardobas come with a 2.0 inch Neck ? Is that considered the standard or is it more like 2.04 inches ?
Traditional standard is 52 mm.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
1) It appears most Cordobas come with a choice of either Cedar or Spruce top. I believe Cedar is considered warmer and softer, correct?

2) Which tonewood on the top is the one that goes way back in time, to earlier periods in classical guitars? I'm very much a traditionalist in this regard.

Thanks!
Scott
1) Yes.
2) Spruce.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrethorst View Post
1) Yes.
2) Spruce.
Thanks for confirming. I guessed correctly on both, but it WAS a guess.

Appreciate it,

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical