The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorKey View Post
I thought that a truss rod was for steel string guitars and that only cheap classicals use the device. My classical is a very cheap model (Jose Ferrer) and it has a truss rod, accessible by the sound hole. I thought it really odd that a classical would have a truss rod!
That was how things used to be. Tradition is very powerful in the classical and flamenco world. But more and more builders are coming around to modern ideas. Truss rods aren't about keeping necks from warping because they are made of cheap woods. They're about the ability to make adjustments to suit the player. Builders are finally getting over their "play it as I made it" attitudes and treating the customer like their preferences are important.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:02 PM

I've built about 20 classical guitars now and have so far found truss rods not necessary. The players that bought them also appreciate the tradition. In fact it seems to me that the players are indeed more traditional then the actual luthiers. I started using a bolt on neck for example instead of the traditional Spanish heal and it was like blasphemy in the hearts and minds of the players.

I've used CF bars and ebony strips too but after reading about the actual science and engineering of such devices I stopped doing it. It does just about nothing. In fact the ebony strip that is exposed on the back of the neck is probably better then a CF bar routed in right under the fretboard.

For any players that are very particular about action an adjustable rod is the way to go as others have mentioned. The sole purpose being fine adjustments to relieve. But many classical players like high action anyway and in that case it really doesn't matter much.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I've built about 20 classical guitars now and have so far found truss rods not necessary. The players that bought them also appreciate the tradition. In fact it seems to me that the players are indeed more traditional then the actual luthiers. I started using a bolt on neck for example instead of the traditional Spanish heal and it was like blasphemy in the hearts and minds of the players.

I've used CF bars and ebony strips too but after reading about the actual science and engineering of such devices I stopped doing it. It does just about nothing. In fact the ebony strip that is exposed on the back of the neck is probably better then a CF bar routed in right under the fretboard.

For any players that are very particular about action an adjustable rod is the way to go as others have mentioned. The sole purpose being fine adjustments to relieve. But many classical players like high action anyway and in that case it really doesn't matter much.
Agreed. I tend more towards the flamenco side of things. Even when I was focusing on classical, I didn't prefer a higher action. I think that the reason that some/many classical players prefer high action is so they can play hard and create a lot of volume, without buzz. I totally get that because I used to seek lots of volume without buzz and was willing to do whatever it took to achieve that. But it wasn't like I wouldn't have been overjoyed to have been able to get loud volume with a lower (EASIER!) action. I also used to use only extra hard tension strings to milk every last bit of volume out of my guitars. Fortunately, I don't mind snap and buzz when playing more flamenco oriented tones. In fact, I can't stand a flamenco guitar that doesn't give me that attitude and every one that couldn't has been sold. A truss rod has helped me to get those tones at times. I get the traditionalists POV. But I've played every kind of guitar and music over the years and I much prefer having the ability to take control over the setup of my instruments. Many players are content to leave that control to the luthier and play it as it was made. I'm not. And here in MT, the changing temps and humidities of the seasan noticeably affect guitars. The tweaks needed are generally small, but what works one week doesn't always work the next.

Last edited by Red_Label; 05-15-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:44 PM

My Jose Ferrer has a truss rod, I was surprised at this at first. I find it makes it a bit head heavy. My new classical, the Valencia, doesn't have a truss rod and feels better balanced.
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 10-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

As previously stated- My Kenny Hill New World Player and Córdoba Torres Master Series both have truss rods. I am grateful as I have a light attack and prefer lower action.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Aside from the question of a "need" for a truss rod is also the question of personal preference in setting neck relief. I much prefer having that option because hand problems require fairly careful setup for me.

Kenny Hill's guitars have truss rods, and he's one of the world's most respected luthiers. His New World line of less-expensive, Chinese-made guitars also have truss rods, as do Cordoba guitars, which Kenny has been involved with in design and manufacturing operations, I believe. I think Guitar Center's line of Lucero guitars also have truss rods. These are very inexpensive guitars. I've played a couple and didn't expect much, only to be pleasantly surprised by their high value.

To equate truss rods only with "cheap guitars" is a mistake.
-Bob
Ditto that. There's a lot of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. I've owned $4K nylon strung guitars with truss rods.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
What he said!

Dave
Perhaps but I was able to adjust my Cordoba C9 truss rod to fix fret buzz from 5th fret up. Made it play a little nicer in the open position too and this was maybe a month after I spent $300AUD at a guitar tech getting it setup. It felt great when I got it back from the tech and had to adjust it myself to reset it back to where he got it. One tiny turn each day and re evaluate.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:17 PM

I take my guitars outside a lot. I take them hicking. A truss rod is a requirement. A guitar that lives indoors is firewood imo.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 PM

My Cervantes has an adjustable truss rod.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
I take my guitars outside a lot. I take them hicking. A truss rod is a requirement. A guitar that lives indoors is firewood imo.
I sometimes play in the garden if that counts...I feel too self conscious to play outside in the open
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Kenny Hill's New Worod Player guitars have truss rods. Though new they are slightly above your price range, you could probably find a used one. They are great guitars.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical