The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Default Choice of Strings Question

I just picked up a beautiful little Cordoba C9 Parlor guitar Cedar/Hog!
After tweaking the neck and taking off the Hard Tension strings, the thing is a joy to play!
I've tried D'addario normal tension strings and like them a lot more than what came on it, however, I'm thinking about trying the labella strings that I use on my C-10 Spruce/Rosewood. I play mostly Americana/folk/fingerstyle/rag type stuff (not good enough for classical)
Any recommendations on brands or types of strings?
Thanks all.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM

My personal experience shows me that strings can be a very unique thing with classical guitars. Also, choice in strings seems to be more about bringing the best sound out of the instrument rather than personal preferences. With all of that being said, I'd consider the following:

Hard tension strings were on the instrument. You replaced them with normal tension and preferred the sound. If I were you, I might try an even lighter tension string and compare it with the normal tension. Think of it is honing in (or is it homing in? lol) on the tension of strings that seem to open up the guitar the most.

After you've done that, then I might try experimenting with other brands. Trust your instincts and trust your ears. Once you find another brand of strings, you may begin repeating the process of experimenting with heavier and lighter tensions.

There are some things I've just learned to accept. An instrument can chance over time. Sometimes I feel that after a while, a guitar just needs a change to shake it up. The truth is, I am often experimenting with strings. And often, I am sticking with a certain thing for the moment. But I can say that, at any given time, I am playing the best sounding strings that I a currently aware of. I've had to learn to live with it always being that way.

Right now, I am playing Hannaback super high tension on my main classical and love them. I've been playing those for a long time, too. But it wasn't too long ago that I was playing low tension strings.

There was actually a time that I was playing three different brands and tensions on my main guitar. I can't even remember what everything was. What I do remember is that I used one brand and tension for the basses, another brand for the trebles, and a third brand just for the 1st string.

I'm not suggesting anyone has to go as far as I did. What I did was just an example of what can happen if you take my advice: Experiment with different tensions. Experiment with different brands. Trust your instincts and ears. Even if you do just a LITTLE bit of that, you will end up with a far better sounding guitar! :-)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:55 AM

I picked up a used guitar with LaBella 2001 low tension strings and was very surprised by it. I had a bias against low tension strings I never thought of trying them. They sound great on this guitar. I would echo the above and try low, medium and high tensions.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
I play mostly Americana/folk/fingerstyle/rag type stuff (not good enough for classical)
Any recommendations on brands or types of strings?
You just might like these.
Interesting concept - all 6 strings are wound.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Both of my Cordoba's are strung with Oasis normal tension carbon trebles and Savarez Cantiga Normal tension basses..

I really like the feel and sound of the Oasis trebles vs the Savarez Alliance strings... AND I have yet to find a better set of bass strings than the Savarez Cantiga's.

Strings by Mail sells the partials....Plus, they're a sponsor here
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Guest 2434

I have the same guitar, I'm probably going to give the PJ116s a go next myself per bruceb's suggestion.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf View Post
I have the same guitar, I'm probably going to give the PJ116s a go next myself per bruceb's suggestion.
Be Aware!
Like all round wound strings - don't cut them before you install them.

Story goes John Pearse came up the concept when he lived in Europe.
He later moved to the USA and headed up Martin strings.
Left Martin and went out on his own.
Meanwhile Thomastik-Infeld back in Europe revived his concept and named the strings after him.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical