The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi gg...

My amps (and suggestion) are UltraSound AG-50 (DS-4) with a pair of 8'' coaxial speakers (high frequency driver is mounted in the center of the woofer).

I don't know how watts are determined or reported among amps, but clarity and volume are what count with me. The AG-50 is so powerful, you will find it hard to stay in the room with one of these when the gain is at 60%, and 50% on the main volume...and they don't distort. Yet at lower volumes you don't lose any of the detail nor is there a tone shift.

I play and sing through mine in small venues, and use it as my main stage guitar monitor/amp when there is a PA system.

The AG-50 weighs 25 pounds, has dual channels (XLR or 1/4'' input on both) and effects on board. Built in Des Moines, Iowa, and the best bang for the buck of any mid-sized acoustic performing amp around.

Simple looking, road worthy (built like a little tank) and simple to use.

Django Books sells them for $389 drop shipped to your door.

Larry,

At Django Books, I also see they have an UltraSound DSX 50W 2x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amp (50 watts per channel or 100 watts total), which seems to be the same amp as the AG-50 DS4 (25 watts per channel or 50 watts total). The DSX is $449 shipped vs. the AG50 DS4 $389 shipped. The DSX also has an optional XTC matching, stackable speaker cabinet. Would you recommend spending the extra $60 to get the DSX amp? Thanks for any input you can offer on this.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Larry,

At Django Books, I also see they have an UltraSound DSX 50W 2x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amp (50 watts per channel or 100 watts total), which seems to be the same amp as the AG-50 DS4 (25 watts per channel or 50 watts total). The DSX is $449 shipped vs. the AG50 DS4 $389 shipped. The DSX also has an optional XTC matching, stackable speaker cabinet. Would you recommend spending the extra $60 to get the DSX amp? Thanks for any input you can offer on this.
Hi Spruce Top...

Remember, it takes 10 times the power to double the volume. The extra 50 watts and cabinet don't double the sound, but they do spread it out over a larger area. I have a PA system which does that far more efficiently.

I can already produce more sound with my DS-4 than I could possibly stay on stage with if I turned it up any further.

Cannot imagine what I'd do with extra power or more cabinets...and then I'd be back to hauling over 50 pounds of amp around. I like the 25 pounds and plenty of great tone.

Just my thoughts...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM

This one's right at your target figure of $400:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG100D
Old 04-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Spruce Top...

Remember, it takes 10 times the power to double the volume. The extra 50 watts and cabinet don't double the sound, but they do spread it out over a larger area. I have a PA system which does that far more efficiently.

I can already produce more sound with my DS-4 than I could possibly stay on stage with if I turned it up any further.

Cannot imagine what I'd do with extra power or more cabinets...and then I'd be back to hauling over 50 pounds of amp around. I like the 25 pounds and plenty of great tone.

Just my thoughts...

Larry,

Thanks for your thoughts on my UltraSound question!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM

since you didn't say whether or not for electric or acoustic, i'll volunteer, for electric, used small wattage gibsons ga9, ga5t, ga20, some small supros, sears silvertone 1482, some small oahus, epiphones, harmony, etc.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogordo View Post
I could stretch it out if its worth it
That being said, may I suggest the Fishman Artist? Well worth the extra $$
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Well I agree with many on here and sort of an expansion couple of questions and thoughts..pardon the type A anal retentive personality disorder novel here..it's a gift and a curse!

The good and bad of DI out built in is it's not always as clean a signal / quality DI to the board as one would like (depends on the amp) especially in that price point (just being honest and not disrespecting your price point or other's opinions here). Another reason as Larry I believe said (and totally agree) it's nice to pre-amp through a good DI first (HIGHLY recommend the radial J48 http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/j48.php then use your amp as monitor, sending direct signal to the board and the amp simultaniously ...add a little color / flava / reverb to your taste and wet dry mix those two if you want. Since I owned a DJ / sound / Lighting company first, I invested in lots of PA before I started experimenting with the live sound of things.

On the amps mentioned I like the Ultrasound (the few steps up on the 250 is an AWESOME amp...nice used on here for 800.00 and I'd bet my left one that you could talk em don to 600ish because after all...this is musicians friend. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...FYtDMgodTysAIw) I like it over the fishman quite a bit for features as well as sound. Even if you get the Fishman i would also say, save another month or two and get there even newer more powerful one that's about 180 watts (again about 70-800 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fishman-...12-i2665406.gc), this one I like. More headroom / power still gives better sound at all volumes NOT just more volume. Big basic many people don't understand when they think about cost / return.

GREAT USED AMP if you find one. NO DI / or XLR out BUT: I Have one of the older early model Fender Acoustasonic SFX's (taller one with a 10, 8 and tweeter section) that if you can find a good one on E-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Acous...item3f243df5ec they can get you right around 250-450. UPSIDE: 2 channels for guitar / mic or 2 guitars. Lots of really nice built in acoustic effects, great sound (even for a Fender and remember this was the early years of Acoustic amps), lots of power (again a little / lot more than you think you need will almost always be appreciated later). DOWNSIDE: again No XLR / DI out, Heavy - like 62 lbs heavy. But seriously a great older one if you get your hands on one and they come up fairly often (and no...not trying to set you up for a convenient "Well hey...mine happens to be for sale..it's not).

Now my fave all time beyond even the Ultrasound is the Genz Benz line, and YES, I admit it ahead of time, these are beyond your orignal budet (Just bought the big 300 LT http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&m...sid=420&cid=94 only because i got it at dealer cost which I cannot divulge but you would cry). But if you want to keep the reasonable (low ain't gonna happen with these babay's unless you watch the E-bay / guitar center stuff and are patient. BUT you get a lot of bang for your buck, starting with really incredible tone / sound, lots of quality effects, great electronics internally, YES GOOD DI OUT and just some really really nice amps. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...07-i2949647.gc For what you could get in one of these in a 6-800 range would be in my opinion well worth it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...11-i2947758.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...61-i3052096.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...42-i3022319.gc

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 04-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification