The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 03:45 PM

Default Luna Guitars?

Is this a good brand? Do they make solid guitars? Some of their models look pretty cool, especially those acoustics with the desert scenes on them. I've never even seen any in a store I've only ever seen their ukes. Does anyone have any experience with Luna?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

They are owned by Dean guitars. They are an economy brand. Apparently they have some OK beginner level guitars. Mostly decorated stuff.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Before I start let me share a story. Perhaps two.

I have been playing guitar for almost 50 years. Have been married for just over 40. Since I am a minister my wife and I have been singing together for those 40 years. During most of that time my wife never had any interest in going into a guitar store. About six years ago we walk into a guitar store and she walks around and then shows me a Luna guitar. It is a Luna Oasis Henna with cedar top with art work on the top and the back. She looks at me and says, "am I to old to learn t play guitar?" (Then mid 50's years old) I said, "No - Why?" She says, "that guitar is so pretty I am going to learn to play so I can buy it." I mistakenly said to her, "People don't usually buy a guitar for how it looks but for how it sounds."

Moving along . . . she learned to play and bought the guitar. Sounds and plays great.

Story two - Our son has a degree in music, an accomplished musician on a number of instruments and a worship leader in a church outside of Boston. His guitar had electrical problems and he borrowed wife's Luna Oasis Henna and used it for a number of months. The guitar's sound shined in his hands. When his personal guitar was finally repaired we went to visit and pick up my wife's guitar. While there we got to play in their service. A funny aside is he had been playing the guitar for months and no one ever noticed or said anything but when we were there and got to play with their worship team during the service a number of people went up to my wife and said, "What a beautiful guitar."

So, if a guitar looks good, and sounds good and plays comfortably - and gets someone to want to learn to play . . . isn't that what it's all about?

Now, that being said - are Luna's Martin's or Taylor's - no. But you have to compare apples to apples. So that means you have to compare similar guitars. So that means you have to look at Mexican made Martins and Taylors to be in the same league. That means you have to compare entry Martins and Taylors (and without starting a war - Mexican made Martin's and Taylor's in my mind are real Martin's or Taylor's) to like Luna's. That means you would be looking at Luna's all wood guitars - Art Deco, Art Recording or Signature models. Similar prices and fair comparisons - and they more than hold their own.

Luna Safari's more than hold their own against Little Martin's and Baby Taylor's and about 1/2 the price. Between wife and I we own all three so I can speak from experience but this is our opinion.

So, are Luna guitars o.k? Yes - and if they get people interested in music and playing - isn't that what it's all about?

Tim
Old 04-22-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
They are an economy brand....
Right. Their tops and backs often have great grain, but I think that means they're likely laminate. You can occasionally get a good one, as Rev attests....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 PM

I will give you my two cents worth of advice. I would say that Yamaha has some of the best sounding/playing guitars on the market. My FG730s is a remarkable guitar. Beautiful finish, great fret work, excellent neck and most important and surprisingly, has the best spot on intonation of all of my acoustic guitars. Yes, some of the others are five to six times the price of the Yamaha. Do they sound different? Yes. do they sound better...well...no, just different. I think the 800 series has replaced the 700/730 series. Alvarez has some nice guitars but you have to go up the price ladder in their line to get ones as good as the lower priced Yamaha models. Its the kind of guitar you grow in to, not out of.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 PM

Luna gets a lot of hate because they definitely give the impression of "looks first, sound second".

That having been said, their solid topped instruments are actually quite decent sounding instruments for the price. The all laminate ones...those sound like dead boxes.

The henna one the Rev references above is one of their solid topped models.

Apparently they now offer (Artist series) all solid wood guitars. I have never seen or played on in person though.
So as long as the one you are looking at has a solid top (check the specs online), I think it's fine.

Normally my go-to entry level instruments would be an Alvarez Artist Series, whatever Breedlove's entry level import is this week, or Seagull.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Luna gets a lot of hate because they definitely give the impression of "looks first, sound second".

That having been said, their solid topped instruments are actually quite decent sounding instruments for the price.
The times I've been in music stores and picked up Luna guitars to play that has been my experience, as well. The ones that have solid spruce or cedar tops can be really nice-sounding. And some of them do look simply stunning.

Advances in computer-controlled manufacturing processes have made it possible to decorate guitars in a way that simply wasn't feasible in mass market guitars prior to this. And if that attracts someone who might not otherwise be drawn to playing guitar, it's a positive good, so far as I'm concerned.

More power to them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Luna Guitars

The solid top guitars are very good guitars in that price class. I had a Dragonfly as a kick around guitar for a while. It actually played and sounded very good for what it was.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for a first or intermediate guitar.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-22-2018, 09:04 PM

I bought a Luna Safari for the grands to “bang away on”.
It stays in tune. Doesn’t sound bad.
It is a bit thin when heard directly after playing one of the full size guitars.

Secondly, I have recently become a fan of the incomparable Vicki Genfan.
She plays a Luna to great effect.

I don’t own a full size one. But I would.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by DissonantTimbre View Post
Is this a good brand? Do they make solid guitars? Some of their models look pretty cool, especially those acoustics with the desert scenes on them. I've never even seen any in a store I've only ever seen their ukes. Does anyone have any experience with Luna?
You've heard it from others: looks matter. Looks matter to me too. But so does sound. So make sure that pretty guitar you want to buy also sounds good. You may want to sample several and pick the one that sounds nicest to your ears. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:13 AM

A Luna Butterfly guitar was the catalyst that started my oldest daughter playing the guitar.

She saw it in a local guitar shop and wanted to learn how to play it.

I worked out a deal with the shop and bought it for her for Christmas many years ago now.

She still has it, still loves it, and plays it daily.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 AM

I had a trinity 12 string for a while it’s was a good guitar , great for intermediate players or under .

Here’s a really bad video of me playing it , I feel like dork now that I watch it lmao . It was many years ago never made a vid and I guess after seeing it again I understand why I never should try again hahaha. But I did do some though not much better lol

https://youtu.be/-DhHxi1VYHc

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

Last edited by Riakstonic; 04-23-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
A Luna Butterfly guitar was the catalyst that started my oldest daughter playing the guitar.

She saw it in a local guitar shop and wanted to learn how to play it.

I worked out a deal with the shop and bought it for her for Christmas many years ago now.

She still has it, still loves it, and plays it daily.
I believe Luna guitars are marketed to young ladies in an effort to interest them in acoustic guitar. In your case it seems to have worked and to me that's a good thing.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post

Secondly, I have recently become a fan of the incomparable Vicki Genfan.
She plays a Luna to great effect.
Just what I was going to say but I saw your post. Doesn't hurt to share it again, so here's Vicki playing hers:

Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM

a friend of mine had one. could never get it to intonate and eventually just gave it away. he spent $100 with two techs and they said it wouldn't ever be right. beware.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion