The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Everything you can breathe, see, ingest or touch is made up of chemicals. All matter, including us, is made of chemicals.
Yes, but some chemical compounds are more toxic to living things than are other chemical compounds.

FYI, before somebody gets their knicker in a twist, I am not necessarily agreeing with the post that the above quote was responding to. I am simply pointing out that the above quote is a specious argument.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 AM

I like the D'Addario coated EXP phosphor bronze strings, both for tone and playability. To me they don't have a coated sound. An added plus is that they last longer than I expect them to.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Yes, but some chemical compounds are more toxic to living things than are other chemical compounds.

FYI, before somebody gets their knicker in a twist, I am not necessarily agreeing with the post that the above quote was responding to. I am simply pointing out that the above quote is a specious argument.
Of course some chemical compounds are more toxic to living things than others, but none of these were mentioned in the post I quoted. I was making the point that "chemicals" are not bad. If there are specific chemicals that are harmful on these strings, then name them, but to just put out "chemicals" as the reason for avoiding use of these strings is too vague.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Ernie Ball Paradigm Strings. They cost the same as Elixirs. They last at least as long. They do not feel or sound like a coated string at all.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Coating or no coating, I choose strings for the sound. I personally don't like the sound of Elixirs at all, and will never use them again. I use Santa Cruz strings, and can't tell that they are coated.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTslntP View Post
Just curious. I often notice in many of the threads concerning strings that there is a fair number who dislike coated or life span strings. I was interested in hearing reasons why. Thanks
I tend to mostly use uncoated strings, but then I don't mind changing strings more often. I personally just like the tone of the strings I use (John Pearse PB) more than I do the others, including coated strings. There are some strings that get almost universal rave reviews around here that I have tried and just didn't like them, so really it's just personal preference.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I like the D'Addario coated EXP phosphor bronze strings, both for tone and playability. To me they don't have a coated sound. An added plus is that they last longer than I expect them to.
I agree with this experience ^^^^. I still use uncoated JP and D’Addario strings, but generally prefer EXPs for tone, feel and longevity.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Of course some chemical compounds are more toxic to living things than others, but none of these were mentioned in the post I quoted. I was making the point that "chemicals" are not bad. If there are specific chemicals that are harmful on these strings, then name them, but to just put out "chemicals" as the reason for avoiding use of these strings is too vague.
Then why not address that question to the person who you initially responded to instead of me?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:11 PM

If you put a coating on a string, then it's going to effect how the string vibrates and its tone.

The first thing I notice about Elixir is the lack of bass. Having said that I like the tone of the 80/20s on my maple guitars, it's kind of 'pretty'. However on my Ovations (excluding the Adamas) these same strings sound obnoxiously bright. So the guitar also has a lot to do with it.

Here are some examples on a Martin guitar demonstrating the 'missing' bass from 'Brand E'. Also note how SP and SP lifespan sound identical. That's why it's my favorite coated...or should I say 'treated' string.

Now let's take a look at the EXPs...

...what do YOU think?
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I have no dislike for coated strings. They last longer for me, typically, and sound fine to my ears. I use several different types of strings. Usually whatever is available at my local stores.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:57 PM

I use Elixer Polyweb 12-52's. With uncoated strings I get a lot of string squeak due to my amateurish technique I'm sure. With the Elixers I get little or none. And they last forever.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 04-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I think that you will actually find that most builders like the idea that the coated strings will sound at least decent far longer than an uncoated string while the guitar is hanging in a store, waiting on a buyer.
Who besides Taylor and Santa Cruz sends out their guitars with coated strings?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Who besides Taylor and Santa Cruz sends out their guitars with coated strings?
Maton guitars here in Australia.
Unsure of Cole Clark.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-20-2018, 05:16 PM

I have not read comments already posted so this may be redundant, but...

I play with a flatpick, Classic Rock / Indie Rock / Country Blues / Bluegrass-ish... coated strings last a short # of playing hours when played with a pick, they start shedding like a snake-skin.

I suspect they would be great for fingerstyle players.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:53 PM

The brilliance in all strings, regardless of coating or playing, begins to fade right around 2-3 weeks by virtue of the tension damage alone. No alloy can significantly alter that metallurgic characteristic due to the loss of elasticity in the string and attendant harmonic losses.

The coatings, such as they are, are meant to stem the corrosion in strings caused by the acidic action of the finger oils in the wound string, in particular, not unlike the plastic coated wire ropes in commercial use. The key point marketed to consumers is the coatings make strings last longer by virtue of preventing the corrosion from shortening their life due to acid damage. It sounds simple enough to believe but it does nothing to save the strings from harmonic losses due to proportional losses of elasticity.

When I played steel string guitar I changed them every 3 weeks on spruce topped guitars and every 2 weeks on cedar topped guitars due to losses in brilliance. Cedar needs all the brilliance it can get to get the cedar sound characteristics ringing. Spruce, the better soundboard for frequency transference, is a bit more forgiving.

The more you know...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion