The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Cakewalk - Bandlab - Free?

I just read where Cakewalk Sonar is now free. I haven't used or looked at Cakewalk since I can't remember when. Is it worth messing with?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-05-2018, 04:06 PM

I've used various iterations of Cakewalk up to Sonar X1. I find it very capable, but then I have nothing to compare it to. But if it's free then I would absolutely give it a go.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Is it worth messing with?
It's free, so I guess it would be worth it.

Seriously, I've used it for about 9 years and like it a lot. Previously used ProTools. Left it for Sonar for various reasons.

I upgraded over the years up to Platinum, but didn't fall for the "lifetime subscription."

I find it very powerful, bought some plugins over the years and it does everything I need a DAW to do.

I received an e-mail from Bandlab. I did subscribe in case there are future plugins or features I want. That was free, so I did it.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:48 AM

The free version is GREAT, I loaded it up today, and frankly, I can't believe they are giving it away! It has full functionality and comes complete with everything you need to make great sounding recordings! Each channel when expanded into the Pro Channel has 4 band EQ, compression, console simulation, and reverb! It's the Platinum version without the 3rd party plug-ins!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 AM

Yes, it's definitely a good piece of software for those on Windows who don't have yet a fully fledged DAW.
I used to use Sonar 8.5 and then X1 but X1 wasn't very stable but I believe they've gone a long way in terms of stability over the last few years.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Sonar (9? I seem to remember...) was the only DAW I paid a LOT of money for and would never work for me (even going with a new PC when their "technical support" couldn't seem to help me.) They didn't seem to have a problem taking my money, though.

I might as well of threw $160 down the toilet. Can you tell I'm STILL bitter?

I wouldn't download and attempt to use Sonar if they PAID me to try it. When I heard it was no longer going to be supported and then "changing hands" I thought "Good Riddance."
Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Yes, it's definitely a good piece of software for those on Windows who don't have yet a fully fledged DAW.
I used to use Sonar 8.5 and then X1 but X1 wasn't very stable but I believe they've gone a long way in terms of stability over the last few years.
It's as good piece even if you have a fully fledged DAW. This version it great and I've used every major DAW out there. X1 was unstable but from X3 on it's ridiculously stable.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Sonar (9? I seem to remember...) was the only DAW I paid a LOT of money for and would never work for me (even going with a new PC when their "technical support" couldn't seem to help me.) They didn't seem to have a problem taking my money, though.

I might as well of threw $160 down the toilet. Can you tell I'm STILL bitter?

I wouldn't download and attempt to use Sonar if they PAID me to try it. When I heard it was no longer going to be supported and then "changing hands" I thought "Good Riddance."

Maybe you should lighten up It sucks when setting up DAWs and you run into problems, but....

I've run Cakewalk/Sonar since version cakewalk version 2.2. The problems in setting it up were mainly due to Windows/computer tweaks, not the program itself. This new version, Platinum (albeit streamlined) that I just installed, set up in under 10 minutes on an old Windows 7 machine. The fastest I've ever seen any pro DAW setup in my life! And it's running glitchfree with the crap Realtek Audio card in this computer. I can't wait to see how it performs with my RME interfaces! I also tested it how it runs plug-ins and so far it's running over 300 FX plugs (Waves, Lexicon, Slate, Eventide). I've run a project studio based around three computers (one in my home) all setup with SONAR XL 3 Producer for the last three years and I've never experienced a dropout or any craziness. And this new version is even better than XL 3. And it's FREE!! Forum member Midwinter has been to my studio and I'm sure he'll verify what I'm saying. After all, he recorded his band's first demo/CD there. He sat and watched me mix on Sonar, and later I had him sit and record a song with me and he learned to drive on it in minutes. His main platform for recording is Logic Pro and he found no problem navigating in SONAR.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 PM

Sounds like an attempt to gain some marketshare to create ongoing revenue streams from updates. I bet the next update will be a paid upgrade.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Sounds like an attempt to gain some marketshare to create ongoing revenue streams from updates. I bet the next update will be a paid upgrade.
This sounds very likely to me!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I bet the next update will be a paid upgrade.
That's not what Bandlab says, it's meant to be always free but users will be able to purchase additional synths, effects and other content, loops etc. Which is an interesting business model.
I think it might actually work. Before Cakewalk acquisition I never heard about Bandlab and now I have an account with them and tried their online collaboration software which is quite good.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Maybe you should lighten up It sucks when setting up DAWs and you run into problems, but....

I've run Cakewalk/Sonar since version cakewalk version 2.2. The problems in setting it up were mainly due to Windows/computer tweaks, not the program itself. This new version, Platinum (albeit streamlined) that I just installed, set up in under 10 minutes on an old Windows 7 machine. The fastest I've ever seen any pro DAW setup in my life! And it's running glitchfree with the crap Realtek Audio card in this computer. I can't wait to see how it performs with my RME interfaces! I also tested it how it runs plug-ins and so far it's running over 300 FX plugs (Waves, Lexicon, Slate, Eventide). I've run a project studio based around three computers (one in my home) all setup with SONAR XL 3 Producer for the last three years and I've never experienced a dropout or any craziness. And this new version is even better than XL 3. And it's FREE!! Forum member Midwinter has been to my studio and I'm sure he'll verify what I'm saying. After all, he recorded his band's first demo/CD there. He sat and watched me mix on Sonar, and later I had him sit and record a song with me and he learned to drive on it in minutes. His main platform for recording is Logic Pro and he found no problem navigating in SONAR.
I lightened up years ago when I decided to no longer try and get Sonar to work.

I do understand that there are a lot of satisfied Cakewalk / Sonar users. OP asked if it was worth messing with, so that's my opinion only.

It took me a while to begrudgingly cut my losses, but I spent a LOT of time trying to get SONAR to work and a fair amount of time attempting to get the tech help line to help me. I felt taken advantage of, and that never goes down easy.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Smile Sonar

Sonar works and sounds great to me. It is the main mixing/arranging software that I use.

I have been a very happy Cakewalk customer for many years.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 04-08-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I lightened up years ago when I decided to no longer try and get Sonar to work.

I do understand that there are a lot of satisfied Cakewalk / Sonar users. OP asked if it was worth messing with, so that's my opinion only.

It took me a while to begrudgingly cut my losses, but I spent a LOT of time trying to get SONAR to work and a fair amount of time attempting to get the tech help line to help me. I felt taken advantage of, and that never goes down easy.
While the very basic function of all DAWs is more or less the same, the workflows can be very very different
Everybody's learning style, curve, and strengths are different and why there is more than just one DAW . And there can be DAWs that the particular workflow just does not syncopate with a given individual, plain and simple as that.

And just because others have used one DAW or the other successfully has little meaning if it did or does not, sync for you personally.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-08-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While the very basic function of all DAWs is more or less the same, the workflows can be very very different
Everybody's learning style, curve, and strengths are different and why there is more than just one DAW . And there can be DAWs that the particular workflow just does not syncopate with a given individual, plain and simple as that.

And just because others have used one DAW or the other successfully has little meaning if it did or does not, sync for you personally.
Workflow is one thing, getting it to setup is another. He never used it successfully so he doesn't know what the workflow is like! There was something obviously wrong when he went to setup Sonar the first time. And most likely it was a computer issue / user issue. It was shame that Cakewalk service didn't help him during the time he had a problem because the new Sonar is a fabulous program and very easy to use with basic instruction. And the reason I posted a reply to his original post is to make sure users that have never tried it wouldn't be too scared to give it a chance. This is a program that used to cost $499 and they are giving it away free! For someone that couldn't/can't afford a professional DAW this is quite the opportunity!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD