The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Default PRS announces new John Mayer signature Strat style giutar

Coming in March retail of $2,299

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 AM

I've heard Philip McKnight (YouTube) speak about it. For a signature US made PRS that's not a bad price.

It does have a 7 1/4" fretboard radius so that may bother some people (compared to the 9.5" for most Strats).
Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've heard Philip McKnight (YouTube) speak about it. For a signature US made PRS that's not a bad price.

It does have a 7 1/4" fretboard radius so that may bother some people (compared to the 9.5" for most Strats).
Thanks for the reply .
Just so I am clear that would equal more curvature correct ?
Fairly reasonable price is what I was thinking also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-10-2018, 09:56 AM

I'm smiling because this product sure is giving a chapped bottom or some sort of irritating bother to people on other forums.

Im in the camp of liking some iconoclastic guitars and the newer makers like PRS and Collings - there are others worth knowing about too.

Being GAS-free I'm not concerned about the radius. I was used to the old school with my "52 AVRI" Fender and my AM Dlx Stratocaster had "modern". My "68 Thinskin Thinline" was advertised as 9.5 but it is not as flat as my Collings. Honestly, I adjust. At times I think the more curved fretboard is particularly good for rhythmically strumming barre chords. Most of the time I think I just need more skills.

Competition is good. Guitar choices are amazing.

If you can't stand change:

1. Feel free to help the F people in California.
2. Feel free to help the G people who appear to be a somewhat desperate these days.
3. Create or move to your own private Afghanistan - probably safer than the real one.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thanks for the reply .
Just so I am clear that would equal more curvature correct ?
Fairly reasonable price is what I was thinking also
Correct, the fretboard is more curved with a lower number radius. For comparison (and this isn't for all models obviously), modern Fenders tend to have 9.5" radius, PRS is 10", Gibson uses 12", shredders tend to like flat fretboards and have a compound radius (something like 10-16") or 16".
Old 03-10-2018, 01:39 PM

7.5 would be the vintage radius. Pretty tight, and would require either dressing a slight compound radius on the fret tops or higher action to bend without fretting out.

Thouhh, for 200 less, you could just get the real deal custom optioned..
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I recently went from 7.25" (for decades) to 9" on the new neck I put on my Strat, and I've found I actually like it better, other things being mostly equal (the neck is also slightly thicker, but fretboard width and string spacings are the same). It's subtle, but moving my fingers around is a bit more natural, and I get away with slightly lower action, and less bend from the truss rod, though I doubt that's noticeable by itself. I suspect the original choice of 7.25" radius was made without any idea of how people would be playing electric guitars in the future, and a bit larger radius works better for most people. Hence, I'm surprised this new PRS has a 7.25" radius.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I recently went from 7.25" (for decades) to 9" on the new neck I put on my Strat, and I've found I actually like it better, other things being mostly equal (the neck is also slightly thicker, but fretboard width and string spacings are the same). It's subtle, but moving my fingers around is a bit more natural, and I get away with slightly lower action, and less bend from the truss rod, though I doubt that's noticeable by itself. I suspect the original choice of 7.25" radius was made without any idea of how people would be playing electric guitars in the future, and a bit larger radius works better for most people. Hence, I'm surprised this new PRS has a 7.25" radius.
I'm guessing that will be the biggest issue with some potential buyers but it is a signature model and what Mayer likes. I'm still surprised at the price point - good call by PRS.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 PM

I will say, if you're hands are smaller, like mine, and you like to wrap that thumb over the top, like I do, then the 7-1/4" radius can be pretty comfortable. Also, I do prefer slightly higher than normal action anyway, as I feel I get a better "sound." I'm sure part of PRS and Mayer's decision was to have that "vibe" of a vintage Strat, something that wouldn't "feel right" with a 10" modern radius or flatter. That said, there's some things that miss the mark for me, aesthetically. The lower horn to my eye looks a bit kludge in its implementation. I realize they wanted to keep the "silhouette" of the Strat, but they could have tweaked it a little bit. I remember when they came out with the EG, and thought that was a cool take on the Strat pickguard while still having the PRS shape.

Also I think the price is pretty much inline with the CE model, which was also a bolt on.

As a side benefit to the tighter radius, if you have to do those Jimmy Page violin-bow riffs, the tighter radius makes it easier!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Meh...not trying to be too negative as I really like PRSs. But this is just another copy of a heavily copied guitar. To me it just looks like another partscaster which is where I put Suhr and Anderson and LsL and etc etc. While I am sure there are great copies out there...does another really break any new ground other than giving Mayer a sig copy of a strat? Does not look like it to me.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Meh...not trying to be too negative as I really like PRSs. But this is just another copy of a heavily copied guitar. To me it just looks like another partscaster which is where I put Suhr and Anderson and LsL and etc etc. While I am sure there are great copies out there...does another really break any new ground other than giving Mayer a sig copy of a strat? Does not look like it to me.
Hey different strokes for different folks, guess it depends on one"s definition 'Copy"

I would agree and not call it " groundbreaking" But given the differences indicated in the video , I would tend to think of it more under the definition of a Strat "style" or Strat "inspired" PRS

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Any reason why Mayer went with PRS rather than Fender? He's been primarily a Fender player, correct?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Well you got to remember at the time of Boogie Bodies, Charvel, Schecter, Mighty Mite, onto Pensa-Suhr, Anderson, Sadowsky, Kubicki, Buscarino (Nova), .. Strats weren't exactly revered for their quality in terms of woods and finish so that's how the boutique parts and eventually full guitars arose. So I don't think it's fair to dismiss them as partscasters. They may be copies, but great guitars in their own right.

But yes I agree that despite the hoopla, there's no big deal about this. They already had an EG and CE model wuth 3 single coils. Steve Vai scooped out the lower horn of his Charvel (which was actually Grover Jackson's personal guitar ) over 30 years ago. Not as bad as Paul Stanley, who seems to endorse a different guitar company every year...

Last edited by LouieAtienza; 03-12-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Any reason why Mayer went with PRS rather than Fender? He's been primarily a Fender player, correct?
Well only John would know for certain but But given he already has a PRS Signature Amp and since 2016 or perhaps earlier he had been playing a built for him PRS Private Stock Super Eagle that he was involved in with a (limited run of 100) Which he used for the Dead and Company Tour It's not surprising.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Looking at the design, I can only assume that John Mayer missed his old Fender Stratocaster so much he asked PRS if they could make him a Stratocaster.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars