The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor New Model Showcase-Marietta, Ga tonight

I've not been to a Taylor roadshow and with all the talk about the V bracing, etc. I thought I'd go tonight, it's at Ken Stanton's on Cobb Parkway, 7:00.

I'm also not a Taylor guy, my wife reminded my that i did own a 514ce years ago (i think that was the model) but I have a lot of respect for the company, it's marketing and production innovations.

And I like guitars.

That said, if any AGF members are going tonight and like to meet and greet, that would be fun.

I'm an old bald guy, chin beard and glasses, I should be easy to pick out amongst the other old bald guys w/ glasses and facial hair. And a sweetheart in person.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Lot's of pretty guitars. No swag.

Last edited by stephenT; 03-01-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:50 PM

I went, so I'll offer a few notes on the 900 and K series V braced guitars that I tried out. Be happy to hear impressions of anyone else who was there. For me it was worth my horrible hour 15 minute rush hour commute from Buckhead. They were quite generous in letting everyone try out all the V-braced models.

I was skeptical about the intonation claim, thought maybe it would be too arcane for my ears, but it's really true. I have a riff I play with open strings up on the 5th and 7th fret, going up to 12 and every note was dead on. I was really impressed with that.

Can't comment on sustain, cause we're in a room with high ceilings with 14 other guys mashing away at the other acoustics, but I did get to go into a quiet room and my little riff has never sounded so sweet.

After I got home, I played the same riff on my 322 and ya know what? My 322 notes are in tune as well, but what was different about the V braced notes I think it has to do with that the V-bracing design results in fewer frequencies clashing and zeroing other frequencies out. It's not so much that the 322 notes are out of tune and the V-braced notes are in tune, it's that there are more varied frequencies coming from the 322 that aren't blending on the precise note. The V-braced notes seem purer and more focused, which is why I suppose the notes ring longer. So it seems after 200 years of X-bracing, Taylor has reinvented how a guitar top should work. Amazing.

A bit of trivia is that all the V-braced guitars have graphite nuts, so you'll be able to spot them in the store. One guy I asked said there are no current plans to put V-bracing in the GC body, that decision would depend on how well it was received on the GAs.

I was pleasantly surprised I could hear a difference, cause my hearing really does suck. If they ever do get around to making a V-braced GC 12 fret, I'm definitely buying.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

jpmist point about fewer frequencies clashing I think is on the money.

What I heard on the V braced guitars was a strong fundamental w/ very little overtones, even on the rosewood V braced model. The upper register notes on the V braced were clear and chords high up the neck sounded clean w/ no overtones and the impression was that it's better intonated. Of course, frets are in the same places as all other Taylors but the lack of overtones does give the perception it's more in tune. (it's like they've discovered mahogany).

I thought all the V braced Taylor's sounded very similar, the rosewood had a different frequency response, more bass, scooped mids, but still the voice was the same. That's what I heard in the presentation and then confirmed with hands on. BTW, the set up on all the guitars (20-25 of them, half in the $5k range) was impeccable. There's a new "silent" statin finish I liked. Made to reduce handling noise when recording.

Well done new model roadshow from Taylor, no free stuff unless you won the raffle.

The V bracing is a bold move. Certainly gives the guitars a unique voice that's different from a traditional Taylor.

Last edited by stephenT; 03-01-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 AM

BTW, the set up on all the guitars (20-25 of them, half in the $5k range) was impeccable. There's a new "silent" statin finish I liked. Made to reduce handling noise when recording.

Yeah, the one's I played were spectacularly well set up. The contrast between those and the Taylors in the acoustic room was pretty dramatic, unfortunately. I tried a few of the regular inventory and the action was lot higher than I like. I understand that most people prefer to strum, so I get it, but I'm not one of those.

My 322 has a satin finish that's shinier than other brands I've seen. I will never like the look, but I can appreciate the lack of swish noise.

Good point about the frets. Intonation will be the same from the factory regardless of how the top is braced which is why I think it's a confusing point for Taylor to make in promoting the new bracing. I think we agree with different words that the lack of competing frequencies make the v-braced tops produced cleaner more accurate notes.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Yup,.. I came home and played my Waterloo WL-12 for a couple hours just loving the "imperfect" overtones bounce off the maple. IMO it's what gives guitars personality and voice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases