The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Default Celtic harp pickup recommendation

Anyone here have experience amplifying a Celtic harp for the stage?

Even at venues with good PA sound systems and a good house mix engineer, our harpist in the Celtic band I play with can't get enough volume level before feedback occurs when she uses two regular stage mics, unless the high frequencies are drastically cut. Therefore, she either has good tone but not enough volume, or sufficient volume but poor tone - with neither scenario being satisfactory.

The Schertler DYN-H-P48 pickup seems like a good choice.

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/s...kups/dyn-h-p48

Anyone here have experience with this harp pickup?
Any other good harp pickups that I should have her evaluate? Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Anyone here have experience amplifying a Celtic harp for the stage?

The Schertler DYN-H-P48 pickup seems like a good choice.
Back in the early 90s there weren't as many options as there are today but at that time I put a simple passive Fishman "hot dot" piezo in my wife's harp that is very similar to the SBT-HP that they sell today. We ran it through a "belt pack" Fishman Model G preamp (which happened to be the same preamp that was factory installed in my J-09). That pickup still sounds good -- note that I spent considerable time finding the "sweet spot" to permanently mount it inside (!) -- and, though the harp is no longer being used for performance, the pickup is still useful for tuning since she can plug in an electronic tuner.

The Schertler looks like a good choice (if you've always got phantom power or a preamp that provides it) but if I was looking to amplify a harp these days I'd look very carefully at the Schatten CH-3 pickup...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Back in the early 90s there weren't as many options as there are today but at that time I put a simple passive Fishman "hot dot" piezo in my wife's harp that is very similar to the SBT-HP that they sell today. We ran it through a "belt pack" Fishman Model G preamp (which happened to be the same preamp that was factory installed in my J-09). That pickup still sounds good -- note that I spent considerable time finding the "sweet spot" to permanently mount it inside (!) -- and, though the harp is no longer being used for performance, the pickup is still useful for tuning since she can plug in an electronic tuner.

The Schertler looks like a good choice (if you've always got phantom power or a preamp that provides it) but if I was looking to amplify a harp these days I'd look very carefully at the Schatten CH-3 pickup...

Phil
Thanks, Phil. Have you heard the Schatten?

Fishman's harp dot, especially one plugged into a Platinum Pro EQ/DI, looks like a good solution, as well.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Thanks, Phil. Have you heard the Schatten?

Fishman's harp dot, especially one plugged into a Platinum Pro EQ/DI, looks like a good solution, as well.
Haven't heard the Schatten harp pickup but I have Schatten HFN passives in my bouzar and all of my guitars (and replaced the old Fishman UST and "G" type preamp in the Larrivee J-09 with a made-to-order HFN Active that Les wired to two pots for me so it was a "drop-in" replacement for the old Fishman), and use their BM-1 on my bouzouki, so have a LOT of respect for Schatten pickups. Note that I much prefer passive pickups so I might still go with the Fishman (and an external preamp) today...!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

My wife has a Dusty Strings FH36 and a Camac Clio pedal harp. We tried a bunch of pickups and found that we liked the McIntyre pickup the best. Personally i was suprised, I do not like his pickups for guitar.

I think we have the Schatten around here somewhere if you want to buy a used one.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
My wife has a Dusty Strings FH36 and a Camac Clio pedal harp. We tried a bunch of pickups and found that we liked the McIntyre pickup the best. Personally i was suprised, I do not like his pickups for guitar.

I think we have the Schatten around here somewhere if you want to buy a used one.

Thanks - I'll mention to her that you perhaps have a Schatten available. Is the pickup the CH-3 model?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

The CH-3 Artist is what it says on it.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
The CH-3 Artist is what it says on it.
Gotcha, thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments