The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM

Default bad hum on transducer

hi,
i just got a McPherson acoustic with a L R Baggs RTS1. When I pugged it into the input jack of the studio there is a loud low hum, I can reach in and grab the ground wire I think it is and the hum goes away. Any ideas on how I can get this hum to go away without replacing the entire transducer. thanks for your help
don
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 AM

Default try this first

There are a couple of quick checks that would be in order before you replace the transducer
  1. Make sure that the cable mates correctly with the jack. Sometimes the connections are not made if the cable goes too far into the jack, or not far enough, or if the jack is worn and doesn't have enough spring tension to maintain the connection
  2. Check and see that the wiring is secure to both the jack and transducer, especially the ground connection. As above, this may require a flashlight and an inspection mirror as well as doing some controlled manipulation of the cabling and wiring
  3. And this one is easier to overlook that it may seem. Make sure you are using an instrument cable and not a speaker cable.

Hope you find one of these problems, it will be less expensive to fix

Matt
Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 AM

THANKS VAC4873!!! I will try those tonight.
appreciate it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification