The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
1neeto, in simple english, what would a 250k pot do over a 500k? psst, i mean simple english!! tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Found an explanation without too many technical terms:

"... 500K has more resistance than 250K. The lower the resistance the easier it is for treble to leak right through the pot and get lost, even if the pot is on "10". So the higher the resistance of the volume or tone pot, the more treble that stays in the audio signal and makes it to your amplifier when the guitar's volume and tone pots are on "10".

Single coils sound better to most of us if a little treble is allowed to get lost. So 250K is usual.

Humbuckers don't have as much treble as single coils so 500K is usual to resist treble getting lost.
"

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...ct-performance

Well there it is. I was just gonna say “250k pots give single coils better tone.” [emoji23]
Old 04-20-2018, 05:45 PM

that has to be the explanation i ever had, and easy enough to understand, something finally makes sense now
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
that has to be the explanation i ever had, and easy enough to understand, something finally makes sense now

Best thing is how cheap pots are. If you’re adept with a soldering iron then it’s a pretty straight forward soldering job.

Now, not trying to confuse you, but there’s something else you can do while you’re soldering new pots. It’s a good idea to shield the cavity (and inside of pick guard if not shielded from the factory) with good ol aluminum foil or copper tape. There’s tons of pics online on how to do it. [emoji4]
Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 AM

Listen to the sounds you are getting, before you do any work. If you like what you are hearing, don't start fixing things that aren't broken.

There's also a number of famous musicians who have said something like "my guitar had this totally weird/broken/ thingy. I thought it sounded cool and decided to leave it as-is".
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-21-2018, 12:04 PM

interesting about the cavity (foil sounds easy enough) only question is, would that need a ground wire connected to the control plate, im assuming-no- because the word shield was used
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 04-21-2018, 12:20 PM

I haven't done the aluminium or copper tape thing myself, but I think people make just enough overlap that the control plate tape and cavity tape are touching. Then people have a small screw through the cavity tape, with a wire to the rest of the grounding, or straight to the bridge.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new strat! Play and enjoy!

Electric guitars are a black hole for money. Upgrades are so easy, and often also quite costly. You bought the instrument because you like the tone? If so, leave it alone and enjoy playing it. If something breaks, upgrade that something to a better one.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the input everyone! I am pretty pleased with the sound and probably won't mess with it much except to get the trem arm. It's possible I might upgrade the trem because the price of the arm is about a quarter of what a decent bridge upgrade would cost me. But probably just the arm.

I'm not playing much electric and not any with other people right now, so there's no pressure, but the "free" mods (pickup height, intonation, etc., are there if I feel I need to tweak it.

I've always been more of a tele player, but the Strat really is one of the most innovative, ergonomic and beautiful designs in US industrial history. It's nice to have a piece of that.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM

Where's the photos, anyway?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM

A bridge upgrade is a good idea for overall intonation, sustain, and tuning stability. Keep in mind, that some Squiers have a different screw spacing from American Fender or vintage style tremolos. So be ready for the possibility of having to plug the factory holes and drill new ones.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
A bridge upgrade is a good idea for overall intonation, sustain, and tuning stability. Keep in mind, that some Squiers have a different screw spacing from American Fender or vintage style tremolos. So be ready for the possibility of having to plug the factory holes and drill new ones.
Yeah, I did my homework on that. Guitarfetish has a Wilkinson bridge that they claim is universal and that looks to be a nice upgrade. That's what I was using for my cost estimate. I will for sure wait until it goes on sale, though.

And I'm in no hurry. No, no, no, I know where to go.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Where's the photos, anyway?

I have no idea how to do that. I don't have Imgur/Snapfish, Photobucket, none of that
Old 05-01-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I have no idea how to do that. I don't have Imgur/Snapfish, Photobucket, none of that
If you WANTED to post pictures, you'd need to host them elsewhere. I like Flickr, at least when I don't need lots of pictures. Then you'd get an image, or image sharing, link and use the button here to insert it.

Your choice, no pressure from me (despite my post asking for photos).
Old 05-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Finally got a Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
Yeah, I did my homework on that. Guitarfetish has a Wilkinson bridge that they claim is universal and that looks to be a nice upgrade. That's what I was using for my cost estimate. I will for sure wait until it goes on sale, though.

And I'm in no hurry. No, no, no, I know where to go.

There’s also this. I bought one from this site and it’s of good quality. The one I bought was steel big block but I see they don’t have it anymore.

https://guitarpartsonline.com/Strat-...dles-10021.htm

Last edited by 1neeto; 05-01-2018 at 11:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars