The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
This interests me very much...from what I’ve read/seen (sweetwater demos/reviews) they take pedals well also.

My questions would be
1. I know it would pair with one of my 16 ohm Tweaker 1x12 cabs, but would I have enough volume to hear the cab as a monitor on the stage? We have 1 lead guitarist. One guitarist doing ambient swells and fills. One acoustic. Myself on lead rhythm/runs. Bass. Congas. Drums. Keys. And 4 support vocalist. Atm we are working on reducing stage noise and clutter. We’ve a larger stage and seem to be heading in the right direction. But, I’d need enough cab volume to cut through.

Forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to ohms etc. but I’d read someone say that running through a 16 ohm cab it wouldn’t be very loud. To get the most volume I’d need to run through a 4 ohm cab? So am I correct assuming a 16 ohm cab would only allow 1/4 power of a 4 ohm head? Again, this is not in my wheel house so forgive my ignorance in advance.

I’d really like to look into this head. Ideally using one of my existing Tweaker cabs, but I could always look at another cab with lower ohms if necessary.

2. Also, if I run it through an extension cab I’m assuming I could still run it out to the PA. Hoping it’s not an either or option.

I’d want to put the head on my my current pedal board and run it out to our PA, while having a 1x12 cab onstage acting as a monitor.

If this option would work I could see myself selling my JDX Direct Drive (which would ALMOST pay for the vox head), along with a couple other pedals, and possibly my floor wedge.

I run a hot spot monitor on a mic stand for vocals (which my iPad attaches to for the use of OnSong), and a floor wedge that primarily has my guitar coming through it.

I was thinking I could remove the wedges if the cab/head had enough volume...

I realize that I could just run the pedal board into the head, then head to the house and use my current monitor setup without a cab, but I don’t think the guitar tones I hear through my monitor would sound as good as a cab...

I look forward to some further input/clarity on this option. This may really suit my needs.
Vox doesn't recommend a 16ohm cab for the MV series. They can cut off at high volume - this doesn't occur with a 4 or 8 ohm cab. I would get the BC108 cab or a decent 8 ohm 1X12".

Yes you can power a speaker and run a line out at the same time, we checked when I bought mine.

As for volume - through an 8 ohm cab this thing will easily keep up with a Princeton, B JR, or DR. Seriously. I have owned many tube amps and these are gutsy little beasts. Clean headroom for days.

25 watts at 8 ohms will give you more than enough volume, even with the 108 cab. These are Class D/tube amp power - not typical SS stuff. 25 watts is a true 25 watts as far as i could tell. Easily as loud as an AC15.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic. I believe I’m going to give the clean version a shot. Shouldn’t need the direct drive if it works out with MV!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 04-23-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Fantastic. I believe I’m going to give the clean version a shot. Shouldn’t need the direct drive if it works out with MV!
I think you'll be a happy camper. I intended to buy the clean MV50 as a pedal platform and then buy an EH Hot Wax pedal (dual OD). When I heard how well the MV50 AC cleaned up with the turn of a volume knob and pick attack I changed my mind. 80% of my electric stuff is Blues and I only occasionally need a lot of clean headroom. When needed, I turn the volume up and gain down and it does the trick for me.

Let me know what you think when you get it. These things are not hype. The real deal IMHO and in a diminutive package. Honestly, I will use the 108 cab for most of my gigs. The 112 is large and a bit heavy but I had to have it once I played through it. It will mostly live at home.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I think you'll be a happy camper. I intended to buy the clean MV50 as a pedal platform and then buy an EH Hot Wax pedal (dual OD). When I heard how well the MV50 AC cleaned up with the turn of a volume knob and pick attack I changed my mind. 80% of my electric stuff is Blues and I only occasionally need a lot of clean headroom. When needed, I turn the volume up and gain down and it does the trick for me.

Let me know what you think when you get it. These things are not hype. The real deal IMHO and in a diminutive package. Honestly, I will use the 108 cab for most of my gigs. The 112 is large and a bit heavy but I had to have it once I played through it. It will mostly live at home.
I just ordered it. Will be here Weds. I didnt order the cab yet as I wanted to TRY it through my Egnater 1x12. I know it’ll cut the wattage to 12.5 but figured I could get an idea.

I can always order the bc108. Or hunt for an older 1x12 4 or 8 ohm cab.

I’m really excited about the possibilities. My immediate plan is to keep my existing pedalboard setup, remove the direct drive that’s at the end of my chain and replace it with the MV50, and use my current wedge as my guitar monitor, and my hotspot for vocals.

IF I like the Egnater cab (Birch cab with Celestion GH50 12” 50 Watts 16 ohm), and it can produce enough volume to cut through I’ll remove the wedge. Or, if not, and I don’t care for the wedge tone, I’ll pickup the bc108, or hunt down a cab mentioned above...

Really hoping this gives me the solution I’m looking for. Everything I’ve seen or read looks promising.

Really glad for my fellow AGF friends. Love the community and the input from others personal experiences.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 PM

I see you've already ordered. But, if things aren't working as planned, I've had (like others) really good success with an old Peavey Studio Pro 40 and select pedals. It's also an amp that's typically cheap enough you can buy second hand and just leave at church (it's what I do).

I've also been known to use my iPad with BiasFX and it produces a very realistic approach to imitating any amp I desire...it's inexpensive...and you could do pedal control with a bluetooth pedal available for it.

Here's to hoping what you've ordered works out!

Brad

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars