The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Howard just left my shop a few minutes ago after a couple of hours of visiting. All the usual shop talking, and I got to show him the stuff I am making right now. It's all about finish in here at the moment, so mostly that's what we talked about.

What? You want to hear about Wade's guitar? Well of course Howard had it with him! he had another interesting instrument along too, but what do we care about that. It was merely a lattice braced Pernambuco OMish thing, nothing to see here, move along folks. . . though I thought it was quite good, actually.

But the AJish dread/jumbo, now that is a nice guitar! The fullest sounding Klepper I've heard yet, and the most balanced as well. A very rich tone throughout it's considerable range, and no tendency toward overly bright highs as some of his guitars seem to me, but then the P didn't suffer in this way either, IMO. I am not a big fan of mediums, but they were no trouble on this guitar, and as it was made for them that shouldn't surprise. Easy to play, good neck, beautiful finish, but more than anything: great sound. Warm/Warm/Warm!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the update, Bruce.

Yeah, I told Howard from the start that I'm one of those less evolved "medium gauge strings" kinda guys. I like 'em, and they work well for me.

Wade Hampton "Light Gauge Strings Are For Vegetarians" Miller
Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

this guitar is a monster!

right now, here today, i would pick this guitar over any i've seen-would need to play it, but its just got the full looking package.

can't wait to hear soundclips

d
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM

We did have a good visit, checking up on the latest in each other's work. Bruce showed me his methods for sanding between coats of finish; achieving the elusive flawless finish (and what counts as a flaw) was our main topic of conversation. Sanding well is a big part of it, yet no one teaches this art in any detail.

But back to the guitar. This was the first time anyone other than me has heard Wade's guitar. Bruce has a very good ear and is honest in his criticism. So when he first strummed Wade's guitar and said, "It sounds beautiful!" I exhaled. Here's the moment on my iphone. And the iphone camera finally got the correct color of the sunburst, which has been eluding me in previous shots.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 03-25-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Wow, I thought Bryan Sutton was the fastest picker I had ever seen, but Bruce's right hand is just a blur ...

Looking forward (along with hundreds of others) to hearing soundclips eventually ...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Wow, I thought Bryan Sutton was the fastest picker I had ever seen, but Bruce's right hand is just a blur ...

Looking forward (along with hundreds of others) to hearing soundclips eventually ...
"Eventually" will be about three weeks. Stevie Coyle and Walter Strauss are going to help me record clips of a few of my guitars. I lack the equipment and the chops myself.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Default Sparky Kramer plays the KJ

Luthier Randall "Sparky" Kramer visited. Most of you probably don't know of him, since he doesn't spend much time online or advertise much. Sparky is based in Truckee, CA. He trained with Mark Blanchard after being a furniture maker. Besides building under his own name, he also builds for Eric Schoenberg and does repairs on vintage guitars.

Sparky gave Wade's guitar a big thumbs up. He noted its balance and found the treble to have a lot of character. He also mentioned that it responds well to either a light or heavy touch.

I never had a client before who wanted me to take time to show his guitar around to my luthier buddies. It helps that Wade doesn't want the finish to check on a cold Alaska night, but he even wants it to get played in a bit. I'm having fun with it.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Luthier Randall "Sparky" Kramer visited. Most of you probably don't know of him, since he doesn't spend much time online or advertise much. Sparky is based in Truckee, CA. He trained with Mark Blanchard after being a furniture maker. Besides building under his own name, he also builds for Eric Schoenberg and does repairs on vintage guitars.

I never had a client before who wanted me to take time to show his guitar around to my luthier buddies. It helps that Wade doesn't want the finish to check on a cold Alaska night, but he even wants it to get played in a bit. I'm having fun with it.

Well, I figure it's a no-lose proposition for me - this way the guitar won't get here when it's likely to get hit by a blizzard, and should any of your buddies abuse the "KJ" you'll be there to shoot some more lacquer over any dings and scratches.

But when the guys have nicknames like "Sparky," I dunno....better look over the back of the guitar carefully, Howard, to make sure there isn't any graffiti like this:

...................SPARKY WAS HERE....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Sparky gave Wade's guitar a big thumbs up. He noted its balance and found the treble to have a lot of character. He also mentioned that it responds well to either a light or heavy touch.
Which sounds perfect. Looking forward to finally getting it up here.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Just in case anyone thinks that it's odd that I've told Howard to hold off shipping this beautiful new guitar to me here in Alaska for a while, here's a weather update we got just minutes ago from the Anchorage Daily News:

Quote:
Storm could drop 5-9 inches of snow tonight, Thursday

By CASEY GROVE

(03/30/11 17:14:55)
Don't put away those snow shovels just yet: The National Weather Service says Southcentral residents could see significant snowfall overnight and into Thursday.

Forecasters are predicting between 5 and 9 inches in Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley by noon Thursday. Winter weather advisories go into effect at 9 p.m. and include a warning of possible heavy snowfall after midnight.

"The snowfall intensity may diminish during the early morning hours before redeveloping in time for the Thursday morning rush hour," according to a special weather statement from the National Weather Service.

An early estimate put the snowfall at 3 to 5 inches Wednesday night, with another 2 to 4 inches Thursday. Those numbers would be updated as more information becomes available, the Weather Service said.

As a high-level disturbance from Interior Alaska interacts with a low-pressure system -- and an associated cold front -- in the northern Gulf of Alaska, forecasters expect dropping temperatures and precipitation.

"End of March, you know, April 1st, we get hammered, so it's not really out of the norm," said National Weather Service forecaster Dan Peterson. "I always expect it, to be honest with you, one last snow storm right about now."

So don't be any hurry to ship that guitar up here, Howard - I'd rather not have to go fetch it from the post office on a day when I have to fight my way through howling winds and towering snow drifts!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Just in case anyone thinks that it's odd that I've told Howard to hold off shipping this beautiful new guitar to me here in Alaska for a while, here's a weather update we got just minutes ago from the Anchorage Daily News:

So don't be any hurry to ship that guitar up here, Howard - I'd rather not have to go fetch it from the post office on a day when I have to fight my way through howling winds and towering snow drifts!

Wade Hampton Miller
Just to be on the safe side, Wade, Howard should send the guitar to upstate SC till about mid-July. I'll PM Howard with my address. We're supposed to hit 70F on Saturday.

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Just to be on the safe side, Wade, Howard should send the guitar to upstate SC till about mid-July. I'll PM Howard with my address. We're supposed to hit 70F on Saturday.

Bill
I'm sorry, Bill, but it's against my personal convictions to let peckerwoods and upcountry buckers slobber all over my new guitar before I get a chance to play it myself. Particularly in South Carolina, where I've lived and am related to about half the white population....see, I KNOW you guys!!

Now, if you lived in the Holy City of Charleston, that might be a different story. But in that case you and I almost certainly WOULD be related, and I'd know better than to let Cousin Bill get his hands on one of my guitars.

See, you just ain't gonna win this one...

Wade Hampton "My South Carolina Roots Run Deep" Miller

PS: Why are Charlestonians like the Chinese?

Both eat rice, drink tea and worship their ancestors!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Come on, Wade, I thought Bill was just trying to be helpful, with those nasty Alaskan snow storms, and all.

- Glenn
Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Come on, Wade, I thought Bill was just trying to be helpful, with those nasty Alaskan snow storms, and all.

- Glenn
Oh, I know, Glenn - it's downright noble of him!

Actually, the weather is mellowing out around here, so I expect by mid-April it will be safe to ship the guitar. It could probably come right now and be okay, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

whm
Old 04-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

"Now, if you lived in the Holy City of Charleston, that might be a different story."

The Holy City of Charleston is where the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers come togrther to make the Atlantic Ocean right?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
"Now, if you lived in the Holy City of Charleston, that might be a different story."

The Holy City of Charleston is where the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers come togrther to make the Atlantic Ocean right?

That's correct. You've been there, I can tell.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop