The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-10-2018, 01:41 AM

Arrow The Needle and the Damage Done

Hey guys!

To follow up my last video of Heart of Gold (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517136), I thought I'd do another Neil Young classic.

Really hope you guys like it! If you do, or if you hate it or have something (anything!!) Please let me know (And perhaps you'd consider leaving a comment, like, dislike, or something like that on the youtube video? )

Anyway, here goes!

Thank you very much for checking it out and I hope you enjoyed it!

Kind regards,

Marc

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Old 08-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Nice job, Marc! Sounds good! Good job playing and singing!

As far as constructive criticism -- and this is just a small suggestion, really -- you might aim the camera down a little more next time so we get more of you and the guitar and less of the wall behind you. And once you aim the camera down, then you could zoom in on yourself and the guitar just a little more, again to give us more of you and the guitar and less of the background. Adjusting the camera view to just a little over the top of my head seems to work reasonably well for me. And as you did in your video, you want enough of the guitar in the video screen so that guitar players can see what you are playing.

If you have a video editing program, you can do the zooming in that program so that everything doesn't have to be perfect when you shoot the video. Also, you can edit off the front end of the video for a cleaner start. For example, if you use Windows on a PC, Windows Movie Maker is free and it will allow you to enlarge the view and chop off some of the extraneous stuff in the video that doesn't really add anything to your performance.

Just a couple of small suggestions. Glad you are taking a shot at this! Overall good job!

- Glenn
Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Nice job, Marc! Sounds good! Good job playing and singing!

As far as constructive criticism -- and this is just a small suggestion, really -- you might aim the camera down a little more next time so we get more of you and the guitar and less of the wall behind you. And once you aim the camera down, then you could zoom in on yourself and the guitar just a little more, again to give us more of you and the guitar and less of the background. Adjusting the camera view to just a little over the top of my head seems to work reasonably well for me. And as you did in your video, you want enough of the guitar in the video screen so that guitar players can see what you are playing.

If you have a video editing program, you can do the zooming in that program so that everything doesn't have to be perfect when you shoot the video. Also, you can edit off the front end of the video for a cleaner start. For example, if you use Windows on a PC, Windows Movie Maker is free and it will allow you to enlarge the view and chop off some of the extraneous stuff in the video that doesn't really add anything to your performance.

Just a couple of small suggestions. Glad you are taking a shot at this! Overall good job!

- Glenn

Thanks for the comment, Glenn! I'll keep that in mind! It's a bit difficult to adjust the camera properly when you're in front of it. I'll try to zoom the image or something in the editor, like you said!

Norman B-20
Old 08-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflink View Post
Thanks for the comment, Glenn! I'll keep that in mind! It's a bit difficult to adjust the camera properly when you're in front of it. I'll try to zoom the image or something in the editor, like you said!
Hi Marc,

Yes, it's a pain to try to get the camera at just the right view while you are trying to record. I tend to accept a slightly wider view during recording and then later I tend to adjust the field of view more carefully in the video editor.

So I agree with you 100%. Best of luck with more of these videos!

- Glenn
Old 08-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Neil is a big influence of mine, so I enjoyed this. I hadn't heard the Seagull Concert Hall guitars before, so this was an added bonus.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Very nice. Neil is a big influence of mine, so I enjoyed this. I hadn't heard the Seagull Concert Hall guitars before, so this was an added bonus.
Thank you! It's a lovely guitar. Haven't had it for that long, but I'm really loving it so far.!

Norman B-20

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell