The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Lots of experience with CME - all good. It's a great shop that'll treat you right, and take good care of ya. Also, if you ever get to Chicago, you gotta go see the place in person - it's way, way cool. No experience with Wildwood.

Ditto on CME!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Wildwood CO

Last year I had the best ever remote buying experience with Wildwood, and I always recommend checking them out, espcecially for Gibson, which in my experience is a sub optimum shopping venture. I was on the hunt for an SJ-200, having played a couple (strumming) gems, but running into duds left and right in the real world. And the selection is paltry almost everywhere I frequent in Austin and the Bay. Wildwood has massive inventory, but of course buying remote or online (especially Gibson) does not induce confidence.

I first emailed Wildwood and asked them about specific instruments, for some comparisons ... and they also have recordings of some instruments posted. That and a couple phone calls narrowed my choices down to 5 of their 30+ Sj-200 options. They then made me an HQ video comparing the 5 models, and answered more questions. Finally they made me a great deal, with a discount you’d expect, but will not see advertised. It came with a 7 day trial I think. No need to use that!

Great experience e2e, and I will def buy again from them.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Also, one more call out, this time on the CME side. Never shopped there, but I have bought a couple guitars through Reverb. Like many, I first expected an eBay or worse, CL experience. But that’s a tight run ship, which is not easy when you’re sheparding thousands of unknown buyers and sellers. Of course, this is a different deal that direct purchase, but the CME guys have transformed that type of business for instruments — and they just started a vinyl shop, which I’m about to try.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I’ve purchased one guitar and a bunch of gear from CME and had a great experience all around. I’ve visited Wildwood many times, but haven’t found what I was looking for. It’s a great shop and I’ll have to keep on trying.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

We are an active retailer specializing in mostly boutique brands. Once in a while I get the itch to get a guitar for myself from a builder we do not represent. On 5 occasions I have purchased guitars from Lance at Wildwood Guitars. These guys impressed the hell out of me. As a dealer/retailer myself, I can be a nit picker when dealing with other stores. These guys were cool, professional, non pretentious, and just plain nice. The guitars were well set up and in brand new condition.

One time I bought a Rickenbacker 381 12 string. I was so excited to get it. Just before shipping I got a call from Lance saying there was a blem on the headstock. It was barely noticeable and I probably wouldn't have caught it anyway. Long story short I took the guitar as is. But it says a lot about Wildwood that they are honest and straight business men.

Hope this helps! I've also heard good things about CME but never have dealt with them direct. Oh, that "Heartbreaker Guitars" do a pretty good job too! LOL. Good luck... -Brendan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion