The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Transcribing music for a guitar lesson.

Transcribing Blind Blake. This is how I create new guitar lessons. Blake is incredibly complex and his variations make his music fascinating and a joy to master and then to teach. I use a program called the Amazing Slow Downer which enables me to capture literally EVERY note and nuance. I'm going to work on a number of his songs and package them into a lesson called 'Blind Blake, Under The Hood.' I not only want to show students how to play his music but more importantly, how to incorporate his techniques and variations into their own playing.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

So, THAT'S how you do it! That's pretty cool... better than writing it out by hand. ASD is a nice program. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
So, THAT'S how you do it! That's pretty cool... better than writing it out by hand. ASD is a nice program. Thanks.
I've been using Finale for years now. Love it.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM

Nice job! It's Transcribe and Sibelius for me - I've yet to get round to youtube lessons though!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

That looks good Jon! In the first set of triplets in the 4th measure, I would suggest indicating a pull-off between the G and E notes.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
That looks good Jon! In the first set of triplets in the 4th measure, I would suggest indicating a pull-off between the G and E notes.
You're probably right. It sounds to me like he picked all the notes (and in the following bar too), but it would be easier as a pull-off.
What I have left off is a tempo marking... (This one dates from a few years back, and it's time I double-checked the whole thing.)

I assume you just recorded your screen for that video? It works pretty well, and seems like an easy way to deliver a video lesson.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
You're probably right. It sounds to me like he picked all the notes (and in the following bar too), but it would be easier as a pull-off.
What I have left off is a tempo marking... (This one dates from a few years back, and it's time I double-checked the whole thing.)

I assume you just recorded your screen for that video? It works pretty well, and seems like an easy way to deliver a video lesson.
I used to try to execute that move picking all the notes but found that to be very difficult. I tried a pull-off and it worked quite cleanly the very first time.

I did record the screen using QuickTime, but I also use the same program for videoing my lessons, uploading them to Vimeo and then embedding them on my site.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:31 AM

This is great news. i look forward to your lesson on Blind Blake. I wonder which of his tunes will be a good "entry point" for his stye.....
Old 08-19-2018, 08:04 PM

I typically pull the track into my DAW and loop a 4 or 8 bars at a time and then write them out (in Sibelius). Goes pretty fast for me...but I tend to be able to transcribe quickly.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write