The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Had, Dave, thanks. I had forgotten who had sold it to me, and had so many PMs I accidentally erased our back-and-forth.

The real test, I suppose, will be to play it with electric bass and drums in a full band and see if there are any feedback issues. I've heard these can be a little testy.

Take Care & Thanks again so much,

scott
Feedback is the biggest issue with this device. With a full band it may be a challenge. Solo, it's pretty excellent. I didn't have the guts to glue mine in, but that's probably the best installation. Of course, if I had, I wouldn't have sold it to you. LOL
Old 02-12-2018, 12:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Feedback is the biggest issue with this device. With a full band it may be a challenge. Solo, it's pretty excellent. I didn't have the guts to glue mine in, but that's probably the best installation. Of course, if I had, I wouldn't have sold it to you. LOL
Dave, yes, I figured as much. I do a LOT of solo shows and open mics, which is what this is targeted for, so no biggie. I have excellent Baggs and Trance Audio rigs in my HD-28 and Eastman E-10SS for full band situations.

Thanks again. You were a pleasure to deal with.

scott
Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Yeah, the PUTW systems sound great but I stopped using mine due to output and feedback. Getting it up to level for louder venues was feedback city but I haven't heard a better sounding pickup.

I see that Enke has brought back the Power Plug at Open to Source. I wish those were still around at PUTW when I tried their pickup, I might have had better luck with it back then. Regardless of gain, EQ and a low-pass filter are a must with these pickups.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doug, thanks for being so knowledgeable and responsive. You are a great asset to the members of AGF, and to me as a Sponsor.

I believe on the PUTW webpage they say it's an aerospace material. Do you happen to know if they own any patents on their design or manufacturing process? Again, I have zero desire to get into the crazy world of pickups, but I backed into the pick business by making stuff for myself, so I'm a bit of a electronics nerd and like to know what makes things work.

See Ya & Thanks Again,
Scott Memmer
I don't know about a PUTW patent. Here's a link to the Dazzo patent, with tons of prior art references, including Frap, which you may find interesting:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100269671A1

Google patent search is pretty great, so if there is a PUTW patent, maybe you can find it there
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Dazzo and Trance are certainly in the same general camp as the Frap (SBTs, and small plastic boxes with some type of multi-dimensional sensing element inside). Teddy worked with Arnie Lazarus (inventor of the Frap) for a while and the Trance Amulet visually looks identical to the Frap pickup. Both Teddy and Gary Hull at Trance are quick to say that their designs are nothing like the Frap. So.... who knows?

PUTW on the other hand is quite different, while still being an SBT - basically a small flexible piece of braided-looking material similar to a strip of tape. PUTW seems most similar to the McIntyre, at least as far as basic appearance and, even, to some extent, sound.

At some level, there are only 3 types of pickups, USTs, SBTs, and Mags, but the devil's in the details.
Doug,
Have you heard of these? http://www.barberatransducers.com/index.html

A saddle replacement pickup with 6 individual transducers built in and no pre amp necessary, they (users) claim.
From what Ive heard they sound pretty natural, not like the typically awful (IMO) Piezo sound. https://youtu.be/Fjj5tMUQkEg
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670

Last edited by RandyOK; 02-12-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Doug,
Have you heard of these? http://www.barberatransducers.com/index.html

A saddle replacement pickup with 6 individual transducers built in and no pre amp necessary, they (users) claim.
From what Ive heard they sound pretty natural, not like the typically awful (IMO) Piezo sound. https://youtu.be/Fjj5tMUQkEg
yes, I have one in one guitar. It's the only UST I've found that I like. Sounds quite good.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
yes, I have one in one guitar. It's the only UST I've found that I like. Sounds quite good.
Do you agree that it doesn't need a preamp? Or do you still think it needs one?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Well, I always use some type of preamp. It's fairly hot, but definitely needs a high impedance input. It'd likely be fine with an acoustic amp, I don't think I've tried that, oddly. I'm usually using a PA with my own preamp, etc. I'm finding the Barbara works nicely with the ToneDexter.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Oh by the way I just saw that David Enke at Open to Soutce pickups is now offering a Phantom power configuration.. https://opentosourcesensors.com/prod...-preamp&page=2
Old 02-22-2018, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really love this pickup so far. How long does the charge last in the battery in the preamp?

thanks,
scott
Old 02-23-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I really love this pickup so far. How long does the charge last in the battery in the preamp?

thanks,

scott

Is believed to last 6-8 hours of plugged in stage time.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Dazzo and Trance are certainly in the same general camp as the Frap (SBTs, and small plastic boxes with some type of multi-dimensional sensing element inside). Teddy worked with Arnie Lazarus (inventor of the Frap) for a while and the Trance Amulet visually looks identical to the Frap pickup. Both Teddy and Gary Hull at Trance are quick to say that their designs are nothing like the Frap. So.... who knows?

PUTW on the other hand is quite different, while still being an SBT - basically a small flexible piece of braided-looking material similar to a strip of tape. PUTW seems most similar to the McIntyre, at least as far as basic appearance and, even, to some extent, sound.

At some level, there are only 3 types of pickups, USTs, SBTs, and Mags, but the devil's in the details.
Its my understanding that the "braided-looking material" on the PUTW pickups is a kevlar jacket, and that there's a strip of high-grade piezo film material inside.

That's the description of the SBTs. David has a special design for the USTs which I don't understand and can't explain. He once told me that the I/O UST acts like a UST and an SBT combined into one pickup. From my experience with it, I can observe that the I/O UST is the most top responsive UST that I've ever used - and that includes my experiences with the Headway, DTAR, Highlander and Fishman co-axial pickups.

BTW, its been my experience that the I/O UST does quack some, and its especially noticeable when recorded directly. That said, its important to note that my current I/O UST-equipped guitar has a bone saddle, and that I got noticeably more quack from the DTAR Wavelength UST system which I once had in that same guitar. That's why I tend to suspect that the I/O UST is probably the least quacky UST out there, all things (like the same saddle material) being equal. I've always found that tusq is the most forgiving saddle material for USTs.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks again for all the great posts and thoughts here.

scott memmer
Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I can't quite put my finger on why that's likeable ... but it is. It's a little different. But it lures me in.

I would imagine most forum members don't know that PUTW is located in La Veta, Colorado, one of the state's great undiscovered small towns. It's undiscovered cause it's 4 miles off the main road. There's a fantastic open mic at a farm-to-table restaurant called the Cowgirl Cantina. La Vetians are just really nice people and there are a bunch of natural wonders (trippy lava flows) all over the area. Pickup some legal you-know-what and have a great time and play for some real nice folks in a scenic paradise! Oh, and maybe get a pickup consultation while you're there, too -- don't know how friendly the company is, but I'd imagine very.
I'd be up for a trip down there- but why does their website show them in Corte Maderia, CA?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Had, Dave, thanks. I had forgotten who had sold it to me, and had so many PMs I accidentally erased our back-and-forth.

The real test, I suppose, will be to play it with electric bass and drums in a full band and see if there are any feedback issues. I've heard these can be a little testy.

Take Care & Thanks again so much,

scott

I'd be keen to hear your results from this. I play solo acoustic but also in a band with full electric line up and acoustic drums, so my pickup needs to be robust. Currently the Trance serves very well for that, but I've always been intrigued by the PUTW solutions.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification