The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM

A G.W. Barry, 12 fret 000+, Italian Alpine Spruce over Royal Macassar Ebony is due for delivery in the spring of 2020. I knew what woods I wanted but Gord has been really patient, informative and extremely helpful with the 12 fret vs 14 fret determination as well as the body size. The process so far has been both edifying and rewarding.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

In the queue mid year 2020 for a Kostal OMC 12 fret, German and master grade Koa. Oh the wait..........................
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

This is awesome.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:58 AM

Great thread, makes me realize I'm not the only crazy person with several guitars on order

I have a Lame Horse Saddle Pal Cedar-Koa coming in at the end of the year. It's going to be a beautiful guitar. And then there is a build with John Slobod, a Spruce-MRW OM, that will start in a few months I guess. Yes, waiting is hard...

There are quite a few others I'm dreaming of, Halland is among them, also LeGeyt, Åstrand, and Stötzel...

Last edited by Ernesto; 09-10-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

MichaudMade, OMR, Sitka/HRW starting late 2019 or early 2020.

It will replace a 2011 Michaud guitar I bought from a forum member a couple years ago.

This is a once in a lifetime purchase for me. I can't believe I'm actually going through with it, but hey, you only live once. Excited, a little nervous, but have full trust in Joel.

If I was to ever consider replacing my Webber, a Dion spruce/maple would be high on my list.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virob View Post
MichaudMade, OMR, Sitka/HRW starting late 2019 or early 2020.

It will replace a 2011 Michaud guitar I bought from a forum member a couple years ago.

This is a once in a lifetime purchase for me. I can't believe I'm actually going through with it, but hey, you only live once. Excited, a little nervous, but have full trust in Joel.

If I was to ever consider replacing my Webber, a Dion spruce/maple would be high on my list.
Glad to see this Mike, nice upgrade and you will enjoy working with Joel. I know I did!

For Myself:

2019: Mark Hatcher will begin work next week on my Alpine Moon Spruce - The Fiddleback Tree Small Jumbo.

2020: Tyler Robbins - a Euro-Spruce - Madagascar RW R.1ca

2021: Jonathan Razo - a German Spruce - Bois de Rose Grand Auditorium

Last edited by doodahdoug; 09-10-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: photos added
Old 09-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzkinguitars View Post
Tom Sands model S in Ceylon satinwood and European spruce due spring/summer of 2021 #dasnice
That looks like it's goine to be realyl special! Love the satinwood!

Another Sands customer here, expecting my second Sands maybe next year or 2021. Spec TBC, but probably broadly similar to my first (the big bottom baritone "Beverly"), but possibly a deep bodied M (OM size), shorter scale fan fret (c. 25.25-26.5), cedar or redwood over a stunning set of quilted hog. Might even dabble with a closeable / adjustable sound port. Rest will probably be as my Sands baritone: 49-50mm nut; 61.5mm string spacing at the bridge; rib and arm bevels; fingerboard extension to 23 frets; Manzer wedge; copper (but probably patinated this time) rosette, end graft and headstock inlays; cosmo black Gotoh 510 21:1 HAP.

Here's that hog set:

Very excited about this one, given how well the Baritone tuned out
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 09-10-2019, 03:14 PM

I am back in line for another Ken Hooper build, a Brazilian Rosewood/ Adi dreadnought. Here is the set of very old growth straight grain Brazilian I'll be using.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Being a fan of brw, I have to say Allen that that set of brw is really fine and very rare to see nowadays as an unused set.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
Great thread, makes me realize I'm not the only crazy person with several guitars on order

I have a Lame Horse Saddle Pal Cedar-Koa coming in at the end of the year. It's going to be a beautiful guitar. And then there is a build with John Slobod, a Spruce-MRW OM, that will start in a few months I guess. Yes, waiting is hard...

There are quite a few others I'm dreaming of, Halland is among them, also LeGeyt, Åstrand, and Stötzel...

That’s great! If you’d ever like to chat about my Halland do reach out!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
I have a Sexauer OM Pernambuco/Adi, Brondel A2c Cuban Hog/Englemann in 2020 and Circa 0012c in Maple/Adi in 2021. These will be my 1st voyage into new builds.
Maiden voyage, eh?

Some people know how to live.

Please remember to make us green with envy by sharing lots of photos.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 09-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I've got a Michael Bashkin, zircote/carpithian OM currently in the works that's sharing the bench with Chippygreen's beautiful build. We've enlisted the services of Harvey Leach for some inlay work, and so far, I'm loving where we're headed.

I'm also in the queue with Leo Buendia, but we are at least a couple of years away from starting.

Like many of you, I have plenty on my wish list, but at the top is perhaps Mike Baranik. I really need to take a weekend to visit Paso Robles and seal the deal.
Cool list, nootis, very cool.

A weekend in Paso Robles to hang with Mike sounds like my kind of road trip, man. Poor me, I'm too far away for that kind of thing. Get off that fence, and go, bro!! (Don't forget the pix )

My little clique of local corksniffers agrees with me that Mike Baranik builds some of the most beautiful guitars on planet Earth.

At present, I have no serious intention of placing what would be my first-ever commission, although there are a small handful of people whose work I admire and who would certainly deliver a guitar that would surpass my wildest dreams. The problem is that I already contend with a what feels like a surfeit of great guitars. I barely have time to play them all, and since the beginning of the year, I've been playing a lot!. The sensory overload is partly due to the fact that I recently acquired two stellar guitars in just three months. That's a lot to process, as these instruments go very deep.

The day my desires becomes serious intentions, though, I hope to follow your example, Monsieur Nootis. One guitar every 18-36 months. Like a gila monster slowly digesting a meal.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 09-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Being a fan of brw, I have to say Allen that that set of brw is really fine and very rare to see nowadays as an unused set.
You are right. This set, along with several other sets, were found at the Martin Factory by Mike Longworth in the mid 1980's. It appeared that they had been set aside for something many years before ( no one is sure when, but believed to be probably late 30's to early 40's), covered up and basically lost until he discovered them. They were sold to a couple of luthiers through Mike, and have remained in their possession until now when one of those luthiers decided to sell his. I bought a set along with two of my friends.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile Not the only crazy one...

To quote Ernesto, above:

"Great thread, makes me realize I'm not the only crazy person with several guitars on order "

Makes me feel almost normal to just be getting one a year.

Play on, AGF

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-12-2019, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
That looks like it's goine to be realyl special! Love the satinwood!

Another Sands customer here, expecting my second Sands maybe next year or 2021. Spec TBC, but probably broadly similar to my first (the big bottom baritone "Beverly"), but possibly a deep bodied M (OM size), shorter scale fan fret (c. 25.25-26.5), cedar or redwood over a stunning set of quilted hog. Might even dabble with a closeable / adjustable sound port. Rest will probably be as my Sands baritone: 49-50mm nut; 61.5mm string spacing at the bridge; rib and arm bevels; fingerboard extension to 23 frets; Manzer wedge; copper (but probably patinated this time) rosette, end graft and headstock inlays; cosmo black Gotoh 510 21:1 HAP.

Here's that hog set:

Very excited about this one, given how well the Baritone tuned out
Now this will be a good build to follow. Love that wood! Beverly desperately needs a sibling....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop