The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Default My new ultra light 00 Kinnaird Guitar

I am super elated and grateful for my new ultra light 00 guitar made by Stephen Kinnaird, and Ryan Middlebrook. Awhile back they posted on this forum asking if anyone knew of a good guitar strap to help a customer that struggles with shoulder and back issues. One of you mentioned the Gracie Stand which I am utilizing for my bigger guitars. Thank you! Nevertheless, I am proud and thankful to say that I can play this new Kinnaird guitar without any trouble due to its lightness, custom made neck which fits my small hand and the fact that it joins at the 12th fret instead of the 14th. What a fun journey this has been. Steve and Ryan let me drop in on them anytime (they especially liked it when I brought chocolate chip cookies) to ponder, pause, and create with them this little gem of a guitar.

The other night in the recording studio I stood for an hour and 45 minutes holding and playing this guitar without a break! Due to back trouble I cannot sit, but it didn't matter because the guitar is so light. We put a K&K mini system and it's tone is beautiful plugged in, but I also must add that they put a sound port at the top which lets the music flow upward. The arm bevel is nice and comfy too. One might think that a guitar this size would not have much of a deeper resonant tone, but I was both shocked and surprised at the depth and beauty of the sound coming out. I wish I could have had this guitar in my younger days, but I will be thankful that I don't have to stop playing.

The top is sitka, the sides and back, spanish cedar. Steve designed the artwork, and was always so gracious to involve me in approving each step of the way.
If you are small like me, and find it difficult playing regular size guitars, I wholeheartedly recommend that you contact Kinnaird Guitars and consider a custom built guitar. They will do their best to accommodate every budget. Every time I entered into their shop, "my happy place", they treated me with such kindness and warmth. (Could have been the cookies, lol) Visiting their shop continues to give me a warm feeling like sitting on the porch and chatting with an old close friend. Not that we are old, Steve...well maybe we are a little. But I now have a new young friend, an ultra light Kinnaird guitar, that I hope will give me many opportunities to play instrumentals at church, weddings, and sing and play my original Christian music. (www.christiecooksongs.com)

Thank you, Steve and Ryan from the bottom of my heart. I really love you both. Christie

P.S. Stay tuned for an upcoming live video performance of this guitar along with Steve and Ryan explaining the building process!

Last edited by christie4741; 05-28-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yay team!

Ultra light guitar...

Music to my ears. And shoulder, too!

Have fun and make beautiful music!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Musical minimalist

I've spent some time listening to your songs on YT and a couple on your site. Very nice. I've forwarded it to a couple of friends who I know will enjoy it as well.

Steve and Ryan build a wonderful guitar, and I will own one someday. That is non-negotiable.

Congratulations on your special instrument!

Old 05-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Love the story.

Love your voice.

And that's a beautiful guitar!

Enjoy!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-28-2018, 04:27 PM

Congrats Christie on both the guitar and for joining the AGF. I followed your build here on this site as well as facebook and just love the end result. Having a couple of Kinnairds myself, I can imagine how good it sounds.

I hope you fall in love with the AGF and grace us with some of your music in the show and tell section as well.

Please ask me or any other moderators via Private Messaging if you have any questions about the site and once again welcome to the AGF and on a fabulous and beautiful custom made Kinnaird.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-28-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Ultra light guitar...

Music to my ears. And shoulder, too!

Have fun and make beautiful music!!!

Paul
Thank you, Paul!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Love the story.

Love your voice.

And that's a beautiful guitar!

Enjoy!
Thank you, Dan!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Once again, Christie, thanks for this opportunity and the fun we had along the way. And thanks for letting us do the "St. Cross" purfling pattern all around the top. I'm pleased the way it turned out.

And for all those thinking of doing a custom build, take special note of Christie's fine habit of coming over with cookies. Whichever luthier you choose, this is a tasty way to make your luthier happy!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Eric Skye

Beautiful
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Congratulations on this beautiful guitar! I am a very happy Kinnaird owner- it is amazing to make music with their wonderfully built instrument! And you have such a great voice and make gorgeous music- this guitar seems like a match made in a special place!

beth
Old 05-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, congrats...
Old 05-28-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Thanks Christie...

Thanks for all you shared, Christie...your thoughts on the guitar, your description of Steve and Ryan and how they so aim to please (and in fact do), and of course the photographs...very nice eye candy.

I can't tell you how fun it is to see them building a number of '00' guitars after all these years. And you are so right about the custom touches. For me, it was about a lighter braced top. I've played several of my Kinnaird guitars with light, silk 'n steel strings - a throw-back for me to the 1970s when those strings were popular. Each of their guitars still sounded so marvelous (even with the incredibly light strings), i wondered what would happen if they braced a 00 top even lighter, if i promised to always use silk 'n steel strings on it.

The result is something absolutely crazy-wonderful.

And the point isn't to get everyone to rush out and order a 00 with this lightly braced top, but, just as you said Christie, that Steve and Ryan will cater to your particular needs and desires. And they take great pleasure in it.

So here's to Steve and Ryan and their passion for great guitars and satisfied customers...oh yeah, and to building 00s for us!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Kind words, thank you all!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Christie on your new Kinnaird. I own just one Kinnaird which I understand may have provided some inspiration for yours. I certainly hope yours will grow on you like mine has on me. They only get better!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM

That's a beauty!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop