The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Emerald X20 Cocobolo Woody

The day finally arrived and it was a glorious day!

Guitar was ordered in Late October 2016 so right at the 5 months they quoted me. There were updates all along the way and you really can't heap anything but praise to Sean for keeping the buyer in the loop on your build. Always quick to answer any questions and just as friendly as can be.

This is my 4th Emerald. I sold my Regular X20 Opus to help fund this custom build. I like a lot of others on this forum was really struck by the sheer beauty of the Cocobolo when they first posted the picture of the first one built. I stewed on it for about a week then got the ball rolling on mine.

So Now along with this guitar I own a X20 Opus Baritone, a X7 Opus and a X20 -12 String Artisan in Regular Black Finish.

As great as these pictures are supplied by them it still does not grasp the depth and beauty of the veneer! It's really a work of art and just seamless.

This guitar was set-up spot on without any need for tweaking for my style of playing. It's sounds nice and warm but if you dig in the notes speak really well.

Now here is what I consider the very best news about the whole thing. If you want to spend the extra money to get a very fancy looking Emerald guitar by all means I encourage you too. However if your budget won't allow this the more affordable Opus is in no way a lesser guitar as far as tone, feel and overall sound. In a nutshell they sound great and the same!

It's been said a lot around here and I'll just say it again. To work with Emerald on this build is like no other guitar I've ever bought and I've bought a lot of them in my 55 years. A very pleasant experience from start to finish. Where else can you play "Mad scientist" and build the guitar you want at these kind of prices plus the fact that it's almost bullet proof and holds it value really well?

I am probably gonna save my pennies up for a Nylon at some point!

Thank you Alistair & Team for creating such unique and wonderful instruments!

Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

Last edited by benderman57; 04-07-2017 at 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I'm sure it's a beauty and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations absolutely stunning
Old 04-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

Emerald is soooooo killing it right now! Congrats on this absolute Beauty. I agree work of art is not inappropriate here. So anxiously awaiting my shipping notice!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

As I've said before about this particular guitar, it is stunning.

Question: Although the Emerald CF look appears great in person, when not in brighter light, it is darker/subdued (but still beautiful) compared to what Emerald is able to do with their photographic techniques that really makes the CF pop. What about the wood veneers? bender, does your coco top hold its striking look in normal light, or does it appear darker like the CF tops do? Just curious.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
As I've said before about this particular guitar, it is stunning.

Question: Although the Emerald CF look appears great in person, when not in brighter light, it is darker/subdued (but still beautiful) compared to what Emerald is able to do with their photographic techniques that really makes the CF pop. What about the wood veneers? bender, does your coco top hold its striking look in normal light, or does it appear darker like the CF tops do? Just curious.
I would say that the photos make the top appear a little brighter than it really is. It's still very striking and stands out more-so than the typical carbon weave.

I would say that's pretty normal of a great picture of a guitar no matter what maker it is.

In normal lighting conditions this still jumps out at you more but I do believe the photos help take that to another level.
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Ahh I am so jealous! I bet she is one fine instrument!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Guest 1478

Beautiful, just beautiful!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Very lovely Benderman, congrats!

Care to explain why you opted for the barn door pre amp there ?
What model is it, and what advantages do you see in it over a more discreet system?

No disrespect intended BTW, my own (second hand) X7 has the little B-Band controller fitted in the same location.
I find it is simple to "dial in" and it works very well, has a tuner too, but I probably wouldn't choose that one if I was buying new.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

We have been traveling in the motorhome today, and I just saw this post... OH MY GOODNESS!! How do they do it? These guitars just keep getting more and more gorgeous!

Congratulations on that beautiful cocobolo! The wood grain in that veneer is spectacular! Nice to see a grand unveiling after that wait. I had to chuckle just a bit: already planning for the next one... on this very special NGD.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM

I'm so stoked for you.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Wow. Best one yet!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Alistair is a true artist creating functional art......rock on....

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Good Golly Miss Molly !!! Beautiful ! Congrats.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Very lovely Benderman, congrats!

Care to explain why you opted for the barn door pre amp there ?
What model is it, and what advantages do you see in it over a more discreet system?

No disrespect intended BTW, my own (second hand) X7 has the little B-Band controller fitted in the same location.
I find it is simple to "dial in" and it works very well, has a tuner too, but I probably wouldn't choose that one if I was buying new.
I've owned a decent amount of guitars with more discreet systems such as the Anthem, K&K, Matrix infinity. I gig a lot and would much rather have the controls including EQ at my finger tips rather than an outboard preamp. I constantly have to plug into a system without any real soundcheck and always play several different guitars in my show with different tunings so being able to tailor the sound quickly is just a reality that I deal with.

As much as I like some of the other systems and the fact that they are more attractive minus the side mounted preamp I find I'm way more likely to take it out and use it this way.
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber