The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Tuner Replacement Questions for Luthiers

Hi,

My J45 and Martin M36 came equipped with Grover Rotomatics.

I am looking to replace the Rotomatics with Gotoh SXN510V. Due to asthetics and weight. I am looking at these particular Tuners(SXN510V) due to its threaded design which means easier swap with Rotomatics than Waverlys or similar.
http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sxn510v.html

Questions:

-How tight do you tightened the nuts? Do you use small torque wrench or special tool or just common sense feel?

-Rotomatics come with one screw hold on the back. If I use the Gotoh SXN510V, can I not use the top screw for few months until I’m sure these are the ones I want?

-Do you personally use a tool/jig for pre-drill prior to screw insert? Saw Stewmac selling them so I wanted to ask how many of you just use the tuner hole as a jig to drill.

-Do you know where I can buy washers to replace dime size washers that come with these?

Thank you very much
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 PM

Snugged but not cinched

Probably be fine

I poke a dent in the finish with a sharpened nail, then drill with a 1/16 bit with a depth stop

Sorry no, but most tuner washers seem generally to be the same size
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Hi,

Questions:

-How tight do you tightened the nuts? Do you use small torque wrench or special tool or just common sense feel?
Too tight can crush the wood and a tad too tight can crack the finish so be very careful. Tighter is not better with tuner nuts. I ONLY use my thumb and index finger to tighten tuner nuts using the appropriate sized nut driver. I turn the nut until I feel resistance and STOP. Its difficult to over tighten using this technique. Every time you change strings check to see if the tuner nuts are still snug using this method.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop