The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
Go play a blackbird Super OM. It's in a class by itself, and I think that'll be pretty clear once you play one.
What style do you play
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
If a guitar is uncomfortable to hold, or hard to play, you simply won't play it as much - in which case it doesn't much matter how it sounds if it spends all its time on the wall. For professionals I can well imagine that tone is more important, but I play for fun, and trying to get my arm around a dread (for example) is just not fun.
Same here! This is going to sound odd, even blasphemous, but I can't imagine buying a guitar because of the tone! I've never heard a guitar I didn't like (don't test that). They all just sound... different. The most important thing for me is getting a guitar that feels right (on lap and in hands) so that I can bring out the unique voice of the guitar by playing it well.

As a concession, if I were producing a record or a touring musician or something and I needed a certain tone I could imagine buying a guitar for that purpose... but if it doesn't play well it's going to sound bad anyways! I guess that's the difference between an amateur and a professional, eh?

Sorry about the thread hijack. I think CA and Emerald have cheaper models that might fit your bill, but Rainsong and Blackbird have really nice guitars for just a little more.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
If a guitar is uncomfortable to hold, or hard to play, you simply won't play it as much - in which case it doesn't much matter how it sounds if it spends all its time on the wall. For professionals I can well imagine that tone is more important, but I play for fun, and trying to get my arm around a dread (for example) is just not fun.
Not too sure if that's the majority view actually...
The Composite Acoustics slim-bodied Xi and X - Performers are among the most comfortable to hold and easiest to play, yet these do not seem all that popular though. Maybe tone and pricing matters too...
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM

I owned an Xi and it was the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. However, I don't have issues with bigger guitars, so this wasn't the greatest selling point for me. I sold it mainly because the RT finish didn't blend well with my playing technique (I make too much contact with the top of the guitar). The tone of the guitar was quite good, not nearly as thin as you might think.

I think the lack of popularity with these guitars is due to the fact that you can't just play them at any music store. If more people actually had a chance to try one in person, I think a lot more people would buy them. So many of us end up ordering a guitar sight unseen because we just don't live where we can try these out ahead of time. It gets kind of scary to assume a thin bodied guitar like the Xi will work when you've never tried one. A lot easier to believe a GX will fit the bill better.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I owned an Xi and it was the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. However, I don't have issues with bigger guitars, so this wasn't the greatest selling point for me. I sold it mainly because the RT finish didn't blend well with my playing technique (I make too much contact with the top of the guitar). The tone of the guitar was quite good, not nearly as thin as you might think.

I think the lack of popularity with these guitars is due to the fact that you can't just play them at any music store. If more people actually had a chance to try one in person, I think a lot more people would buy them. So many of us end up ordering a guitar sight unseen because we just don't live where we can try these out ahead of time. It gets kind of scary to assume a thin bodied guitar like the Xi will work when you've never tried one. A lot easier to believe a GX will fit the bill better.
I think the above is true. I had a CA X and it was a nice guitar especially plugged in. But I sold it, given the brighter voicing of Rainsong started to appeal and had a chance to trade for a OM1000. Thin guitars are just so comfortable to play. The Emerald Double is a case in point. Very thin at 3.5 inches but the jumbo sound board seems to make up for it. I think CA is the only company that goes thin. The Double is it at Emerald for full size I believe?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Cool CF guitars

My hat is in the same ring as 83 SanDiMas with regard to the comfort of the low profile neck and small body size. I have the CA Cargo and love it even though the neck is not as thin as a typical Taylor. I too am looking to buy a CF Guitar with a little bigger body. Question, can you all comment on your likes and dislikes regarding the electronics in the Rainsong OM 1000 and CA X or Xi. I play rhythm guitar in a 6 piece electric band and want to cut through the mix. thank you, michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
My hat is in the same ring as 83 SanDiMas with regard to the comfort of the low profile neck and small body size. I have the CA Cargo and love it even though the neck is not as thin as a typical Taylor. I too am looking to buy a CF Guitar with a little bigger body. Question, can you all comment on your likes and dislikes regarding the electronics in the Rainsong OM 1000 and CA X or Xi. I play rhythm guitar in a 6 piece electric band and want to cut through the mix. thank you, michael s.
I have owned both and see the CA as more for the band as a rhythm guitar? Would probably give edge to the electronics in the CA but I had an Imix not sure what they put in them now? I like the Rainsong as acoustic solo instrument?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 07-19-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Wink Carbon Quandary for 83SanDimas

"Being my first composite and owning several other guitars I want a guitar that I can leave at a remote location with less than optimum conditions. I would like scale and neck to be similar to what I am accustomed to"

83 SanDimas

I have read your post and I don't think that your upstairs bathroom qualifies as a "Remote Location".

I know your type, GAS obsessed, searching for the answers to life's questions, trying to fill a void by having a quality guitar in every room you walk into.

Don't waste your time in this silly pursuit. They don't make them with enough abalone for your taste anyway.

When your research is done, I think we'll have to order two though!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I am finally getting back to this purchase. A few things have changed since I started this thread. I was playing my 912 and OM-42 exclusively but have since purchased a Blueridge parlor and love the size. I think it is an 0 body. I do find the neck to be thick but great for finger style (1 7/8) it makes my Taylor feel small.

I will go with a standard or a short scale but not a compact scale 24.75 - 25.5.

I am worried about the thickness of the NS on the Rainsong Parlor but all else seems great.

Is a Rainsong N1 still the most Taylor - Martin Lo/Pro like? Can I really get the action low on an N1? (lower nut and bridge) or will it buzz?

Thanks for any help. When I sell my 916 I will make a purchase.

DougT (Captain Bling) - not sure if a composite is fancy enough for you but you can glue on Rhinestones...
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post

I am worried about the thickness of the NS on the Rainsong Parlor but all else seems great.

Is a Rainsong N1 still the most Taylor - Martin Lo/Pro like? Can I really get the action low on an N1? ...
You are right to worry about the NS neck if you like a Taylor feel. The N1 is being phased out this year. I don't see why you can't get the action you desire with a N1.

I was with a friend today and he was playing my JM 1000 N2. He really noticed the full feeling neck.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Same thickness neck (NS) on my Shorty. The scale is 24.875. My other guitars are Taylors, and there is definitely a difference in feel. That said, I haven't had an issue with moving back and forth between the guitars. If it were available, I would have preferred the thinner neck on the Shorty. Not an option.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the response Doubleneck, I do hear the NS N2 necks are very full.

I play finger style and strum without a pick more often than not. Although I lean towards finger style I do want to be able to strum and pick play without the guitar sounding tiny or dull.

I would buy a used N1 OM bodied RainSong if I come across one. If I don't like it I will not take a bath on it if I am unhappy and have to part with it.

What other brands have necks like a Taylor or Martin Lo/Pro?
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Captain Jim...

How much fuller would you say it is? Is it unusually thick?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Smile

DougT (Captain Bling) - not sure if a composite is fancy enough for you but you can glue on Rhinestones...[/QUOTE]

Can I borrow YOUR rhinestone glue?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post
Thanks Captain Jim...

How much fuller would you say it is? Is it unusually thick?
Seriously, this ^ could so be taken out of context.

I am 2,800 miles away from my Taylors, so the measuring thing isn't going to happen for me. Suffice to say, the difference is noticeable. For a lot of years, I have compared every guitar to the 335 I've had for 47 years... love that neck. Taylor was the first acoustic that I found felt as good. So, I dismissed other guitars because of the neck feel. When I first pulled the Shorty out of the case, I thought, "Oh, that neck is a lot thicker."

There is so much good about that guitar that I didn't write it off immediately. A day later, I didn't give it much consideration. If I play for four hours (rare), the muscles in my left hand feel it. I don't notice that with my other guitars. That said, it isn't a problem, just a difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber